Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking IP from bebo profiles?

Options
  • 25-03-2008 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

Ive been having some problems with bebo lately. Someone has been impersonating me and sending people I know in real life some fairly dodgy comments. They took all my pictures off my page, all the likes/dislikes, flashbox etc etc and uploaded them to these fake accounts. Bebo for some reason is VERY slow at deleting these accounts and even when the account is deleted, the comments and my name remains. So im wondering is it possible to get the IP address of the person doing this? I already asked bebo but no luck. Id LOVE to find out who is doing this and hopefully put an end to it. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

No, you'd have to contact Bebo support and its frankly highly unlikely that they will tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

What Aidan said.

Bebo, in their privacy policy, will only hand out individual information like IP Address if you go to your local garda station and notify them to deal with it. Even if you get that, eircom can be very reluctant to hand out information related to that IP.

Bebo can sometimes take up to 5 days to respond, a pain in the ass I know... but thats the lovely thing about Bebo.

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

As a matter of interest, can you embed external content (like a 1x1 gif) on a profile page, and tail the logs that you get there, to get an IP address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Buttes, Le Mao

no, bebo doesn't allow hotlinking like myspace.
    Bebo wont help you, the account needs multiple warnings to get deleted.
    easiest way to find out who it is, is incredibly boring and somewhat insane.
    Keep an excel doc of its last online times, as well as your other friends. If the person keeps using the account, over time one person will start to stand out above the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

or mail the unknown user a link that you have hosted on another site. when they click the link and visit external website that you have a page hosted on, you will be able to view their IP address.

Unless they use a proxy. which face it, is very unlikely that they will use a proxy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

nevf wrote: »
    or mail them a link that you have hosted on another site. when they click the link and visit external website that you have a page hosted on, you will be able to view their IP address.

Unless they use a proxy. which face it, is very unlikely that they will use a proxy.
    Bebo being as unpopular as it is in colleges and workplaces ;) Not that an IP address will be able to tell you much at the end of the day anyway, unless by pure fluke you happen to be able to be working on the network that assigned it and know who had it at what time.

Advertisement