Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass verges

Options
  • 25-03-2008 10:46am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I notice someone (I presume Fingal Co Co) hacked... I mean cut the grass verge on the main road between Ongar and Allendale. Would it be beyond them to pick the litter up before they hack away?

Or, even better, cut the grass before it turns into a rain forest?

On a more general note, why to Fingal allow all these grass verges when it's clear that they do not carry out their duty of maintaining them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Alternate question: would it be beyond people to put their litter in the right place?

You should contact FCC Roads or Parks Departments (there is a strange demarcation of responsibility for grass verges) and put your questions to them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

daymobrew wrote: »
    Alternate question: would it be beyond people to put their litter in the right place?

You should contact FCC Roads or Parks Departments (there is a strange demarcation of responsibility for grass verges) and put your questions to them.

I agree people should put litter in the right place, seemingly some people don't know how to do this though. Some also don't understand the need to put out green bins with the lids closed at 7am on a windy March day when the bins are not collected until 7pm.

I just don't think there's much point in cutting the grass verges without picking up the rubbish beforehand. Hacked grass and shredded rubbish blowing about the place is no better than long grass and intact rubbish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

PauloMN wrote: »
    I notice someone (I presume Fingal Co Co) hacked... I mean cut the grass verge on the main road between Ongar and Allendale. Would it be beyond them to pick the litter up before they hack away?

Or, even better, cut the grass before it turns into a rain forest?

On a more general note, why to Fingal allow all these grass verges when it's clear that they do not carry out their duty of maintaining them?

Far as I am aware it is up to the people who's houses are at the verges to maintain them. A householder can be fined for litter in their garden as well in/on the grass verge in front of their house. Fingal don't cut the grass verges any more.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Far as I am aware it is up to the people who's houses are at the verges to maintain them. A householder can be fined for litter in their garden as well in/on the grass verge in front of their house. Fingal don't cut the grass verges any more.

I'm talking about the verges outside the estates. It's the council's responsibility to look after those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

They don't start getting cut until usually the start of April but you can ring and enquire/complain at the local parks depot.
    Castleknock Mulhuddart Area

The area is bounded by the N2 (Ashbourne Road), the Meath Border, the River Liffey and the border with Dublin City Council (Phoenix Park to Finglas). It includes Castleknock, Blanchardstown, Westmanstown, Porterstown, Mulhuddart, Clonsilla, Littlepace, Ballycoolin, Hollystown

The Coolmine Depot is located at Coolmine Industrial Estate. Telephone: 8214446, Fax: 8212568

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I have seen yellow jacket guys picking up rubbish on the new ongar to blanch road. Petty they dont do the same between ongar/allendale and down towards clonee(esp between the N3 and the grotto area). Litter is a really serious problem in the area IMO and some people are just filthy anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

thanks for that crazyrabbit , probably will be useful. However I was more on about the bundles of rubbish along side the road and down embankments etc. With the winter clearing the growth, the filth of the roadsides of D15 is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

dodgyme wrote: »
    the filth of the roadsides of D15 is disgusting.

Now, I don't like traffic wardens either, but there's no need to be calling them filth. :p

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

dodgyme wrote: »
    I have seen yellow jacket guys picking up rubbish on the new ongar to blanch road.

I actually saw one of those guys on Hartstown Road this afternoon. In fairness, he wasn't exactly over-exerting himself, but it's a start.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, although that's just Fingal Co Co washing their hands of the verges outside/bordering peoples' properties rather than the verges along the main roads. That's another day's gripe I have with them. All very well shifting the responsibility of those verges onto the householder, but when half the houses in an estate are occupied by tenants renting the place who don't even give a fcuk about the houses themselves, the grass verges outside their houses aren't going to be high up on the priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

PauloMN wrote: »
    All very well shifting the responsibility of those verges onto the householder, but when half the houses in an estate are occupied by tenants renting the place who don't even give a fcuk about the houses themselves, the grass verges outside their houses aren't going to be high up on the priority list.
    The indifference isn't reserved to renters - I've seen plenty of owner occupiers in my estate who don't care.

As someone who picks up litter in my estate, it's a major PITA. It'd be a full time job to keep even small areas litter free.

Don't forget, if you spot littering from a vehicle, contact the Fingal CoCo litter wardens. It's a great satisfaction knowing that someone will have to fork out 125 euro for their disgusting behaviour. I've reported close to 100 offences over the last number of years.

daymobrew wrote: »
    I've reported close to 100 offences over the last number of years.

Well done at reporting them. I have been onto the litter section of fingal a few times also. It kinda gets depressing the fact that people refuse to clean up after themselves and others ignore litter which is ends up dumped (falls off the recycle truck etc) outside their house???. Litter is my no. 1 dislike :mad: and I am sick seeing overflowing bins and pigs destroying the areas we live in.

Its great to hear the gov babbling on about tackling litter in the cc for the tourists. Feck the tourists, what about the people who live here??

Advertisement