Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-care of tattoo site

Options
  • 25-03-2008 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hey guys! I'm planning on getting a tattoo soon (my first! eeee!!!) and while I've been given advice on aftercare - Bepanthen ftw and all that - it just occurred to me now that I have no idea what kind of pre-care is needed.

Is there anything that needs to be done to the skin or put on it before you go in to get the tattoo? Like moisturising, shaving, exfoliating etc? Or is that important?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

You can get away with none but it does help a little if you exfoliate the area a bit and moisturise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

i dont want to make a thread out this subject i want to ask as im getting tattooed on my calf next week for 5 hours.As im driving long distance (hence calf might tighten up) and its my first on calf,less pain on calf?How do the tattooist do calfs (in chair or bench)As Knee-Vee posted about what to put on before the tattoo.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Depends on the studio and the tattoo. If its back of calf generally it would be done on a table lying on your front.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Knee-Vee wrote: »
    Hey guys! I'm planning on getting a tattoo soon (my first! eeee!!!) and while I've been given advice on aftercare - Bepanthen ftw and all that - it just occurred to me now that I have no idea what kind of pre-care is needed.

Is there anything that needs to be done to the skin or put on it before you go in to get the tattoo? Like moisturising, shaving, exfoliating etc? Or is that important?

I wouldn't put anything on your skin before hand, as the tattooist will wash your skin, shave the area (even places where ye think there might be no hair!) and will give it a clean again. :) and definitely Bepanthen FTW!!

Depends on the studio and the tattoo. If its back of calf generally it would be done on a table lying on your front.
    ahhhh thank god for that it be my first time on a bench:DIm going to take a nap while hes at work (from all the drive ,dog tired):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

Bepanthen gave me a serious rash which took weeks to heal. I'm sure it works grand for most people though. I use pure vitamin E oil you can get it in Holland and Barrat for €4 (the one in Stevens Green S.C. has it for that the Ilac one is €8) just put a little of that on and rub it in gently and it works wonders.

xtruthx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm also a vitamin E man, but cream, not oil... has done me wonders!

It's the same stuff pretty much I just find the oil lasts longer and puts a nice shine on the tattoo aswell.

xtruthx

Are these after the tattoo or before?:D

After. I put vitamin e oil on my tattoos every week or two just to get a nice shine on them.

xtruthx

• Advertisement

try shoe polish or pledge lol:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Kidd-o

jenizzle wrote: »
    I wouldn't put anything on your skin before hand, as the tattooist will wash your skin, shave the area (even places where ye think there might be no hair!) and will give it a clean again. :) and definitely Bepanthen FTW!!

Dude!! does that mean they're gonna shave my back???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

After. I put vitamin e oil on my tattoos every week or two just to get a nice shine on them.
    Hmmm. Never thought of doin that! A great way to get that 'new tattoo' look without having the fork over 100 odd squids! Cheers.

Kidd-o wrote: »
    Dude!! does that mean they're gonna shave my back???
    if your hairy id say yes:D

helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

yeah when i was getting my tattoo last year the tattoo artist shaved half my stomach, even though i'd no hair on it. now the tattoo site is slightly hairier than the other side of my stomach. annoying.

ohh dear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

ah im no gorilla dont worry :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The back of my shoulder blades was not shaved either time, so it's doubly unlikely that they'll need to shave your back Kidd-o, but don't think anything of it if they do, can boil down to just being something the tattooist does as part of their routine.

ohh dear
    id prefer waxing my self:D
    04dec07_backwax_410x300.jpg
    lol :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

eep... tattoo on a newly waxed area?

gimme the razor any day.

eep... tattoo on a newly waxed area?

gimme the razor any day.
    i have a electric gillette fusion ye can burrow:D
    Core_Duo.jpg

does hair grow back thicker and darker after its shaved, im not a hairy girl... and dont really wanna be one...

:O

does hair grow back thicker and darker after its shaved, im not a hairy girl... and dont really wanna be one...

:O
    i thought ye a guy:eek:

yet again, i am a girl... i have been since i can remember... infact it may even be my whole life...

yet again, i am a girl... i have been since i can remember... infact it may even be my whole life...
    oh hi :o:o:o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Knee-Vee

Hair doesn't grow back thicker and darker after shaving. However it looks thicker and darker because instead of the naturally tapered hair, you see blunt ended hair from the shaved ends that have grown back.

Thanks for the help everyone :D

ok thanks knee-vee

ohh im gonna have a seemingly hairyback...:(

ok thanks knee-vee

ohh im gonna have a seemingly hairyback...:(

in few months maybe like this:D
    hairy_back.jpg

• Advertisement

on the upside, i can get a job with the circus or hide my tattoo should i not like it (but i will)

Advertisement