Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance

Options
  • 25-03-2008 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭

Just ringing around. I am getting hammered because I have not had an insurance poliy in my own name. I have only been the name driver on my Mother's car for seven years and on my girlfriends car for 3.

Ryan wouldn't even give me a quote.

My details are:

Number of years with no claim under someone else name: 7
    Full Driving License: 7 years

anybody any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Just ringing around. I am getting hammered because I have not had an insurance poliy in my own name. I have only been the name driver on my Mother's car for seven years and on my girlfriends car for 3.

My details are:

anybody any ideas?

Strange, i am 23 and have only been named on a policy with gf for last two years. I got quote for my own policy and was only €850 on a 1.4 litre car which is pretty good considering my age.

Ring the insurance company that you have been named under for the seven years. I also found Hibernian to be great in terms of price and the extras on the policy.

You should also give some details of the car, that could be the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just got a savage quote from tesco:
    http://www.tesco.ie/finance/carinsurance/index_quote.html

For a 32 year old (in a small car, mind). They are basically an agent for Hibernian, but they tend to give better quotes and have less restrictions. You get good extras as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Try AIB also. Again they are Hibernian agents but seem to give better quotes than Hib and discounts if you have AIB car finance or other AIB stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

23, first provisional, no previous experience or insurance of any kind on a 1.4l Kia Rio

AIB ~2k
    Tesco ~2k
    Hibernian ~2200
    Quinn 1667
    Britton 1367

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

My details are:

anybody any ideas?

try fbd, when i lost my no claims they still gave me a great quote..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I recently went to get cover in my own name for the first time.
    I'm 34, was driving for 18 months named on a relative's policy through Quinn.
    Only got full license in January and was looking to insure a 2.0lt coupe (moving from a 1.1 hatchback) in my own name.
    I tried everywhere (the fabled "shopping around") but in the end Quinns were the only one who would quote me at all and I got what I thought was a very reasonable figure of €994 TPFT...others like Hibernian or AXA were trying to put me in a 1.4lt maximum and even then still wanted silly money due to a lack of NCB.
    I don't understand the system at all...it's like the regulars only argument with bouncers...how the hell do you become a regular if you can't get in? Siminalrly how do you build experience and an NCB if a compnay won't quote you or wants an insnae premium?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

just have all to to take that big hit to start off with, i was paying 4k punts for my first years driving under my parents name back when i was 17, only 7 years ago, absolute crazy money but it halved after the first year and then again after that and was a reasonable price to move under my own name then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Aye it was the ludicrous quotes back in the late 90's/early 00's that kept me off the road for so long (luckily I had a job that didn't require a car)...I don't remember figures but it was enough to keep me on a bike for ages.
    That said, my first quote as a named driver only put up my mum's premium by about 40% (which dropped to 30% after that first year)...
    Have those ludicrous premiums for early 20's drivers come down since the bad old days? Some of the figures I'm seeing above don't seem to indicate it...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

they have, my brother started driving at 19 and in comparison his insurance is around 2000 euro under his own name and the would be the equivalant to me starting and paying 4000 punt as a named driver so it has come down a good bit

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Just got a quote from Tesco. A crap policy with no bonus protection for twice what I'm paying now (with many extras and full NCB protection, limited business use, etc.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement