Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA Asking over the odds??

Options
  • 25-03-2008 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi all

ive been keeping a watch out for a house for a while now on the various websites and havent found one to suit my requirments

walking the dog around the estate saterday night and came accross a brand new house in a 4 year old estate that belongs to the builder its not even on the EAs own website never mind daft...

Now standard houses in this estates are on the market for 375-385 with front and back garden and over looked front and back.

This house literally has a 4 foot front garden a bit on the side to park a car and a small enough back garden (a bit less that half the size of a tennis court). the house is overlooked from the front but there are no houses directly to the rear but there are a row of houses to the side of the house and the back of those houses can see perfectly into the back garden of the one i am looking at.

The house has block paving but the workmanship is the worst ive seen + there is no cooker or anything just the kitchen units and no even fireplace :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Whats the asking price- in comparison to the other houses in the estate?
    Also- without knowing the area, its not really possible to hazard a guess as to whether its overpriced or not- though if the workmanship is as shoddy as you say- its seriously bad judgement trying to offload it at a premium in the current market.......

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Sorry forgot to say asking is €400

i might add that when i was talking to the ea on the phone she first said "i think there sold (there are two identical houses side by side and the builder owns both) and then she said oh no their not i tought they would be sold by now!!!!)

Both are 400

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

So the builder is asking too much, not the estate agent. From your description, yes it certainly seems so. Perhaps the builder is hoping somebody is naive enough to offer e375-e380k, not knowing that's the going rate.

what would you offer knowing its a perfect house for what i want but realising the negative equity issue

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

jetski wrote: »
    what would you offer knowing its a perfect house for what i want but realising the negative equity issue

And also keeping in mind the remedial work you would need to do on the house to bring it up to what you would consider a reasonable standard.......

Going rate for the area is 15k less than advertised.
    House doesn't have garden and is finished more poorly than others 20k less.
    Discount of 10% on asking price on the going rate for the area 35k less.

I'd offer 330k and give my reasons for why I was offering so much below the asking price. Its actually quite a reasonable offer, all things considered.

If you really want *that* particular house though- obviously you might be willing to offer more. Don't get attached to it though- there are loads of really nice houses on the market- and more hitting the market the whole time- you're far better off waiting than offering over the odds in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

jetski wrote: »
    Hi all

Now standard houses in this estates are on the market for 375-385 with front and back garden and over looked front and back.

This house literally has a 4 foot front garden a bit on the side to park a car and a small enough back garden (a bit less that half the size of a tennis court). the house is overlooked from the front but there are no houses directly to the rear but there are a row of houses to the side of the house and the back of those houses can see perfectly into the back garden of the one i am looking at.

The house has block paving but the workmanship is the worst ive seen + there is no cooker or anything just the kitchen units and no even fireplace :confused:

If the house is so bad why do you want to buy it? Is there more to this house than you have said that would justify a high asking price? Why not buy a standard house on the estate, if they are so much cheaper, and try to haggle the price of those lower?

smccarrick wrote: »
    And also keeping in mind the remedial work you would need to do on the house to bring it up to what you would consider a reasonable standard.......

Going rate for the area is 15k less than advertised.
    House doesn't have garden and is finished more poorly than others 20k less.
    Discount of 10% on asking price on the going rate for the area 35k less.

I'd offer 330k and give my reasons for why I was offering so much below the asking price. Its actually quite a reasonable offer, all things considered.

If you really want *that* particular house though- obviously you might be willing to offer more. Don't get attached to it though- there are loads of really nice houses on the market- and more hitting the market the whole time- you're far better off waiting than offering over the odds in my opinion.

Well im going to put an email together and send it and see what reply i get.

@beano

the reason i want this one is because i can fit a boat trough the side and leave it out the back...

Advertisement