Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

32Bit Vista sees 4gb Ram??

• 25-03-2008 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Okay, maybe I'm reading way too much into this but according to the screenshot
    below my Vista 32bit sees the full 4Gb of ram. :confused:
    Normally, it would show up on my start-up screen and computer details screen as 3Gb but ever since I downloaded the Vista SP1 update it started showing 4Gb.
    Not that it really matters though, as Aida32 shows I'm only using 3Gb. :(

Is everyone else the same?

screen.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I believe SP1 fixed that issue with not seeing 4gigs of ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ricky Roma

4gb is Max it will see ( Microsoft employee :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

They fixed the 3.25Gb limit? No harm really! But, why ain't it utilising the full 4Gb as shown in Aida32?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

the os can "see" it, but it still cant "use" it.
    http://windowsup.blogspot.com/2008/01/vista-sp1-won-resolve-4-gb-ram.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They fixed the 3.25Gb limit? No harm really! But, why ain't it utilising the full 4Gb as shown in Aida32?

You need to move to 64bit to get past this. AFAIK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

subway wrote: »
    i'm afraid he's right.

you need a 64-bit OS to actually use >= 4gigs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cremo wrote:
    i'm afraid he's right.

you need a 64-bit OS to actually use >= 4gigs
    technically not 100% true, but if true if you are talking stable MS desktop OS's

Check the motherboard manufacturer for more info / updated bios / drivers that might access a bit more ram , don't install anything unless the readme says that's what it does

check the video drivers
    I've no idea if the AGP aperature or other such BIOS / video drivers settings have an effect on addressable RAM

Just like the old days when people were trying to use the memory between 640KB and 1MB and the fun and games that involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

technically not 100% true, but if true if you are talking stable MS desktop OS's

i thought that was implied by the forum ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

technically not 100% true, but if true if you are talking stable MS desktop OS's...

If you want to get into the nitty gritty...
    http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000811.html

I spent many an evening tweaking an autoexec.bat or config.sys to get the max memory for games. These days I just want it to work. Life's too short.

Advertisement