Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conventional Amps Vs switch mode.

Options
  • 25-03-2008 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently using a pair of Crown Macrotechs in a PA rig, both together weigh a back breaking 8 stone and thats not including graphics, the x-over and the 12u rackmount itself. I am considering a change over to light weight switch mode amps as I am not getting younger!!! Is there any one out there familiar with switch mode amps? what models makes would you recommend (Apart from Lab Gruppen which one would require a mortgage!!) Is there a loss in sound quality and reliability with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

My only experience is with PMC who use the 'Flying Mole' amps on some of their powered monitors - the rest of the range use Bryston.

I've found them to be very high quality and ridiculously light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Macrotechs are supposed to be great yokes, but the weight would kill me. Check out some of the Crown Itech or QSC Powerlight series and you'll never look back tbh. It would appear the days are numbered for old style analogue amps that weigh a ton, in this age everything is going smaller and lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ev612337

In my experience, the switch mode concept can be troublesome in audio power applications. Some of the current demand of low frequency audio cycles places immense stress on a SMPSU (Switch Mode Power Supply) and they can fail spectacularly. My own personal preference is for traditional linear power supply based work horse amps. They are a damn sight heavier, but tend to be much more reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

It's horses for courses, but there's no evidence to suggest conventional amps are any more reliable than modern switch mode units. There's a reason why these amplifiers are being used on tours around the world, I doubt that would be the case if they were going down on a regular basis.

Advertisement