Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disconnects every night...

Options
  • 25-03-2008 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

for the last while I've been getting disconnects every night, *every* night, at 23:28... service just goes down and then comes back up. Mightn't sound like too much of an issue but I play a lot of multiplayer and it's really really annoying. Used to be 10:30, but I suppose that might have something to do with the clocks changing? anyway. I was on to BT, one of my mates works there and he followed it up there. I've tried a different username and changed the router, even tried a different PC in case there was some software doing it, but nothing helped - disconnected, every night at 23:28. I know it's getting late and I should get going to bed eircom, but I'm a big boy now and I can decide for myself...

Anyone else getting this? I'm on the Balbriggan exchange btw... option 3 with BT, on my third BT Voyager router and pulling my hair out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Not very sure but heard something about not being allowed have the same ip address for too long so maybe it's just giving you a new one

You could check that, someone else'll prob give you a better explanation.
    Have you spoken to the company about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I think its something to do with the router resetting it self or renewing its IP address lease.

I dont think you can stop this but you should be able to alter it. Try turning your router off then on, or getting it to renew its address say sometime in the morning, that way from now on it will look to renew its lease at the same time each morning.

Therefore it wont reset at night when you are prob more likely to be using it but in the morning when it is probably idle.

Remember this is just what I think, hopefully someone else here can either confirm this or not. But its prob worth a shot either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

I think its something to do with the router resetting it self or renewing its IP address lease.

I dont think you can stop this but you should be able to alter it. Try turning your router off then on, or getting it to renew its address say sometime in the morning, that way from now on it will look to renew its lease at the same time each morning.

Therefore it wont reset at night when you are prob more likely to be using it but in the morning when it is probably idle.

Remember this is just what I think, hopefully someone else here can either confirm this or not. But its prob worth a shot either way.

Cheers Alan, I did try that a few times, I turned if off for about 36 hours too, to see if it needed 24 hours to reset. Didn't help though. I have spoken to someone in BT, he looks after all the user accounts etc, he suggested something similar which is why I tried to reset the router, also why I changed usernames and routers.

one of the usernames I tried belonged to friend of mine who didn't have the disconnect issue. When I logged in with his u\n, I still did. Changed back, he's still alright and I'm still disconnecting.

Could it be something at the switch?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you anything else on your phone line as a matter of interest? Would anything be set to do something which might cause a disconnect? sky box or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

This happens every couple of weeks for me. At the time you mentioned the internet disconnects and one of the lights on the router goes red.

After about 20 minutes or so I give up and just go to bed.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you anything else on your phone line as a matter of interest? Would anything be set to do something which might cause a disconnect? sky box or anything?

I have sky, but I disconnected it months ago because it was causing a lot of noise on the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Really sounds like an IP address refresh issue, but I would have thought that any router IP address reset would be controlled by the ISP and not a setting in the router. Since BT seem unaware of anything that would cause this then it would suggest that this is not the problem, depends on how much faith you have in BT though.

Is your PC IP address assigned by DHCP from the router? If it is, change to a static address. Make the IP 192.168.1.10 say, and disable DHCP on the router.

not sure, I'll try the static address and see how I get on... thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Does the router have any logging? Does it say what happens at 23.28?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The same thing happens to me every 24 hours from when I turn on my router. Didn't really notice it until one time when I reset the router at about 7pm - got very annoying then! :mad:

I'm on BT too. On the log I think it says "LCP down" or something (will check later when at home), and it tries to reconnect. I don't think it's a LAN DHCP problem as I don't lose connection between my PCs on the LAN and the router.

• Advertisement
Advertisement