Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnotism

Options
  • 25-03-2008 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

So as with the Ventriloquism thread I'm just wondering what people think does or does not fall under magic and illusion?

So what about hypnotism? Or rather stage hypnotism (to distinguish from hypnotherapy etc)

I think its a fairly obvious Yes for this one, being part of mentalism, but what do you think?

Is hypnotism covered by Magic & Illusion? 19 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    63% 12 votes
    Meh
    36% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

I think that it is. Many of the big names use it or attempt to use it in their acts. the more recent ones ive seen do it live are derren brown and keith barry. although whether it is hypnosis or a induced sleep is open to opinion.

In copperfields acts he also alludes to using it in his levitations on the assisstants. An easy yes for me, but if anyone disagrees with me fair enough. BUT I SHALL SMITE YOU!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

I'd say a definite yes. But I'd also be wary of the discussion verging onto hypnotherapy. Only if it's used in an entertainment situation would I consider it suitable for discusssion here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

If its used on a stage, sure, but on the other hand if its used in say a hospital, as a doctor tried with me, but failed :(, then I'd say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Christ, what did he try to get you to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I'm not entirely sure, but he said his peepee was a lolly and I should suck it, so naturally I sucked it anyway then pointed out I wasn't hypnotised. giggity giggity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

hee hee hee

kenny.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Headstuff

Two answers here perhaps, certainly in the case of mentalism. I used the odd hypnotic effect regularly in a mentalism routine and it fitted in well, espeically because of the impression that some have about the 'spooky' nature of hypnosis. On the other hand, quite a few effects pretend to use hypnosis (as a geist) and give similar effects, at least as far as the audience is concerned.

But, it really depends on what is meant by hypnosis, and the jury is still divided as to whether there is actualy a hypnotised state or not. I personally have no belief in a trance or Eriksonian hypnosis, but I do believe in a waking state of suggestibility. Depending on the subject used, this can be induced quickly or take some extended time to put in place. As such it can be hard to move between standard mentalism effects and hypnosis effects in an act because of the time required and the variability of the subjects.

H

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Great post Headstuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

only ever seen one hypnotist, Barry Sinclair was his name, very good though. i knew a couple of the guys who were hypnotised and they were definatly out, i believe it worked so i dunno whether it would fall into illusion. so meh

Advertisement