Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empties!!!!

Options
  • 25-03-2008 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

This may seem a very down-to-earth question lads, but what the hell are ye doing with your empty cases and cartridges? I'm swimming in .22 and 12 gauge empties and don't know what to do with 'em. Is recycling an option or what's to be done? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

22 collect and flog to a scrap merchant for brass value.Thats all you can really do with them.One tonne of brass might get you a few 100 rounds of new .22 ammo:rolleyes:

Shotgun shells..Obvious would be reload.
    But if you go forth on this perilous quest in Ireland.You must first seek the truth Grasshopper, to the legality of reloading here.Then you must slay the mighty and fearsome beast known only to men as C49 .It lurks in the sinister place known as the Dept of justice.Then you must set forth on a long journey to find the sources of powder shot and primers. When you return victorious of such trials.men will worship you,women will swoon at your feet,and any baldness you might be afflicted with will be cured instantly. Beware of fellow Irish reloaders for they shall lie and decive you with false information as to the nature of the tasks at hand.Or give you none at all of value.Nor expect no help from the minions of the DOJ or the army of the blue ones ,known as Gardai,for they know not too the written word on these matters.:D:D:D
    If you dont fancy all that,dump them in a plastic recycling bin.:rolleyes::D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I don't know about the 12g empties (they're both plastic and metal right?) but you should be able to find a recycler for the .22 empties.

Search here for a recycler in your area: http://www.irelandrecycling.ie/sch_searchpage.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Mr Burns

I just dump them into my blue recycling bin.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Mr Burns wrote: »
    I just dump them into my blue recycling bin.

Is it ok to put them in the recycling given that they are plastic and metal?
    Anyone had any comeback from the recyclers?

I take a trip to the local recycling centre every few weeks - good citizen that I am - could I dump them with my plastic bottles?

I have at least 102 empties after every 100 bird shoot (2 shots to "clear the gun") :D:D

I did hear a rumour some time back that some clay shooter somewhere in Ireland was coming up with a "machine" to seperate the two components but I never heard any more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

recycling crowd near me said they wont take empty shotgun cases unless the
    plastic is seperated from the metal Before hand.

To the letter of the Law are we breaking the Law if we keep Brass?

I have an interest in old brass and inert ammo. Was told before that
    brass is still considered a Component part of a firearm and you could be done for it!
    I asked about this over on the Militeria board and it was mentioned here before
    There was a thread here about someone who was in Court over brass???

Someone mentioned drill a hole in the case and that would be acceptable?
    but If I have a 3ft tall 150mm Antique case thats worth a lot or 1000 .22LR spent cases
    thats not very manageable.

So if I have 1000 spent casings or if I pick up a spent Brass from the Bin of my local
    shooting club just for collecting or stumble across a brass shell while walking
    in the country side am I breaking the law ?

I've asked my CPO and my firearms officer before and told them I collect Brass
    and empty cases and they said it was OK as long as it wasnt a firearm!

I've also bought collectors ammo like the Shells you see on an A10-Tankbuster aircraft
    for display/collecting and Customs had no issues with them and I can goto any antique fair
    and most Irish Amry Surpluss stores and buy novelty keyrings or belts of spent .308 cases.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't think it could be considered part of a firearm, its also rendered useless after fired, unless you reload of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There was a case a year or two back where someone was charged with having component parts of firearms he had no licence for because he had empty brass when the gardai searched his home (the descriptions of which make for rather spectacular reading). However, the case was thrown out of court, which would to me indicate that the judge looked at the case and looked at the Act and his first thought was not that the case had sufficient merit to warrant the time spent reading it :D

In other words, having empty brass is legal - it's not ammunition. Besides which, there are so many kids out there who picked up empty brass from various sources over the past century or so, that it'd be like trying to prosecute anyone who thought about polka-dot elephants.

Sparks wrote: »
    There was a case a year or two back where someone was charged with having component parts of firearms he had no licence for because he had empty brass when the gardai searched his home

I remember someone here knew the said bloke personally and said he was a gentleman
    and a shooter for years so It arouses my curiosity to know why
    the Gardai were searching his home in the first place?
    And why would the Gardai make such a big deal out of something so trivial?

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I don't know bullets, and I wouldn't speculate on it either without knowing more (but the DCs don't keep transcripts generally :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

The search was a result of the person in question having ordered by post some items from the states which the garda at the time thought were illegal. Turns out the items were 100% legal and the only charge that could be laid against him was for the handfull of different shells found in his house!

He has long since had his firearms returned to him and is back shooting.

• Advertisement

The search was a result of the person in question having ordered by post some items from the states which the garda at the time thought were illegal. Turns out the items were 100% legal and the only charge that could be laid against him was for the handfull of different shells found in his house!

He has long since had his firearms returned to him and is back shooting.

Cool nice to know, I had wondered about that for a while and had not
    asked before. I've ordered quite a bit of unusual types of stuff over
    the years from Europe and USA it sometimes surprised even myself that
    I had never any issues at all getting stuff posted to me.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    22 collect and flog to a scrap merchant for brass value.Thats all you can really do with them.One tonne of brass might get you a few 100 rounds of new .22 ammo:rolleyes:

One tonne of brass should get you a lot more than that Grizzly!

Last I checked, used brass was fetching €2 a kilo. That's all used brass such as plumbing fittings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

How many .22 shells will U need to make up a tonne???By the time you have saved it up with inflation over the years ,it will proably pay then for a box of 100 new 22s.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

rrpc wrote: »
    One tonne of brass should get you a lot more than that Grizzly!

Last I checked, used brass was fetching €2 a kilo.

That's about €1 per 1000 rounds of .22lr. Better than nothing I suppose.

One tonne of brass would be about 2,000,000 rounds of .22lr. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

IRLConor wrote: »
    That's about €1 per 1000 rounds of .22lr. Better than nothing I suppose.

One tonne of brass would be about 2,000,000 rounds of .22lr. :eek:

Did you go off and weigh some Conor? ;) I figure we have over half a tonne in Rathdrum at the moment. Not a bad little nest egg :cool:

Did you go off and weigh some Conor? ;)

Nah, I just guessed that they're about 0.5g based on a comparison with the 2.6g of the bullet. :)
    I figure we have over half a tonne in Rathdrum at the moment. Not a bad little nest egg :cool:

Nice. I have no idea where DURC's brass went. We only appear to have a small bucket-full at the moment.

Next time I'm at the range I could do with getting some empties
    to make a decorative belt for display purposes. Theres a guy on
    ebay that sells .223 and .308 links!

http://cgi.ebay.ie/100-X-5-56-OR-7-62-LINKS-MAKE-BULLET-BELT-BELTS-INERT_W0QQitemZ280209807020QQihZ018QQcategoryZ67580QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Just abit off topic here, but it seems to me that alot of shooters down my leave their spent cartridges behind them in the field:( Its especially obvious in november and december.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Hezz700 wrote: »
    Just abit off topic here, but it seems to me that alot of shooters down my leave their spent cartridges behind them in the field:( Its especially obvious in november and december.

Very bad practice.... I wouldn't feel right leaving empties in my back garden, never mind in the field.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Its pretty sickening really and its not big deal to stick em in your pocket untill you can dispose of them properly.:mad:

Although i reckon i must look daft rooting around in a hedge of empties ejected from my semi. sometimes i have to retraced the swing so i can have an idea where they've gone.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Got a non-ejector SxS. I find my coat pockets bulging with spent cartridges since I done that. What I used to do when I still had my semi, and especially on my pigeon spots was go around in autumn when the foliage was gone and collect the empties.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

This may seem a very down-to-earth question lads, but what the hell are ye doing with your empty cases and cartridges? I'm swimming in .22 and 12 gauge empties and don't know what to do with 'em. Is recycling an option or what's to be done? :confused:

I'd just like to say it's a pleasure to see someone who polices up his brass, I can't count the amount of times I've seen shotgun or .22 cartridges lying on the ground when I'm hunting:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭target

Found this on the new ICPSA site. A member has developed a mechanical means of seperating the components.

http://www.icpsa.ie/notices/506.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I did hear a rumour some time back that some clay shooter somewhere in Ireland was coming up with a "machine" to seperate the two components but I never heard any more about it.

Good stuff Target.

Knew I'd read something somewhere. Wonder if it went any further?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I had a few thousand empties collected at the end of last summer so i loaded
    up the trailer with other c##p i had around the house and headed to the local dump .
    When i got there a lad came over to help unload the trailer but when we got to the boxs with the empties in them he freaked out and made me bring them home again.
    Now i have to put a few in the bin each time its collected disguised amongst the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I always pick up shells when i find them, found a few live ones aswell.
    Not sure what do with empties them bar binning them is small bunches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

WHO collects 22 cases!!!!!

maglite wrote: »
    WHO collects 22 cases!!!!!

DURC does, as do most target ranges.

I can see how it would be annoying to go rooting around for them in grass when shooting outdoors though.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

I see in this month "Sporting Gun" magazine a British trio have invented a new vegetable base shotgun wade. Complete breakdown within 4 weeks and can be eaten by livestock without issue.
    It has matched plastic wads in all tests. Currenlty in talks with manufactures. Also looking at making shells out of the stuff..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I read that too, looked interesting. I dunno about shells though, really don't see what's so hard about just picking them up. Shot cups are a little harder to find, after all. Then again, I'd pick up .22lr shells anyway, don't see the point of not making some effort, seems discourteous to me.

Advertisement