Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolio!!Science Hub lowerfloor Pc room

Options
  • 25-03-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭

that was the worst pc room in the campus i would consider!!:D

come in today,buddies either busy for exam or in bed:mad:go to the pc room for my lunch:rolleyes:

not the standard DELL machines in the room!instead,HP!was thinking just another crap campus pc:found the all-in-one card readers!AMD cpu intead of Intel,check it with cpuz comes out with AMD X2 4400+,ram 2G!!

offcially annoucing the best PC room in campus!:Doh,and they are silver in colour

ahye,i m bored while enjoying my good sandwich from SU shop:pac:heading home soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Health Science has iMacs :p Still, sounds interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

would you keep it quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Seems a lot are being upgraded to HP Linkie

Looks like we're moving away from the dells. Not a bad idea, i love HPs (and i'm not ashamed to say it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

There's a lot of HP in the server rooms, so I suppose it was only a matter of time before the desktops went HP too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

I imagine that all pc's will be being replaced. It happens every 2-3 years in the business world so probably every 4-5 in the academic world :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    I imagine that all pc's will be being replaced. It happens every 2-3 years in the business world so probably every 4-5 in the academic world :p

You didn't click my linkie did you???

Happens every three years here, and in fairness to them, they do do it every three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Do UCD do a scheme where they sell off old pc's that are being replaced?
    I know Trinity did it previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Zamboni wrote: »
    Do UCD do a scheme where they sell off old pc's that are being replaced?
    I know Trinity did it previously.

I'd say it's unlikely. It causes quite a few legal wrangles that aren't really worth the hassle regarding responsibility for disposal. Most companies just scrap.

Best bet is probably to show up when they're clearing out old machines and just chance your arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Holy ****, the gents got an upgrade? :O

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think that the old ones are 'recycled' - whatever that means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

You didn't click my linkie did you???
    Busted :(

Sorry didn't see it, damn my selective eye sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Holy ****, the gents got an upgrade? :O

Old school comment!

Used them today, nice and flashy and the keyboards are at a better angle imo.

Where is the lower floor PC room by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Red Alert wrote: »
    I think that the old ones are 'recycled' - whatever that means.
    I think it's a scheme Dell do with large comapanies where they take back the old machines. UCD get a discount in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Sean_K wrote: »
    Where is the lower floor PC room by the way?

If you walk in through the automatic doors (beside the restaurant) and go straight into the main area, take a right, then take the right after the little alcove and it's down that corridor with the lockers on the left hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

hmm,i see!so my glory moment of being science student who got the cutting edge machines in campus is ruined!!:(

tribulus wrote: »
    Old school comment!

Used them today, nice and flashy and the keyboards are at a better angle imo.

I have a horrible feeling that when I come back to UCD in September that I'll be the only person who remembers when that computer room was a gents toilet. That makes me feel really old. :rolleyes:

I have a horrible feeling that when I come back to UCD in September that I'll be the only person who remembers when that computer room was a gents toilet. That makes me feel really old. :rolleyes:

lol so i think it's true?!was thinking it was bad enough to call by people as toilet :pac:

tribulus wrote: »
    If you walk in through the automatic doors (beside the restaurant) and go straight into the main area, take a right, then take the right after the little alcove and it's down that corridor with the lockers on the left hand side.

Gotcha thanks

seraphimvc wrote: »
    lol so i think it's true?!was thinking it was bad enough to call by people as toilet :pac:

Yes, in my first year in UCD (2002/2003 :eek:) that computer room was a mens toilet, which according to a friend of mine had a non-euro-compliant condom machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Richview has already been upgraded, and Newstead is due in a couple of weeks. Apart from the fact that there are no dead PCs in these rooms, I suppose the big change is the keyboards: they are nearly silent, but the price for that is that they are spongy. Almost no tactile feedback at all. I'd much rather have an old IBM keyboard, the ones that emulate a Selectric typewriter, but no one else around me would appreciate it. (Yes, I'm dating myself - it's not as if anyone else will... :rolleyes: )

stereoroid wrote: »
    Richview has already been upgraded, and Newstead is due in a couple of weeks. Apart from the fact that there are no dead PCs in these rooms, I suppose the big change is the keyboards: they are nearly silent, but the price for that is that they are spongy. Almost no tactile feedback at all. I'd much rather have an old IBM keyboard, the ones that emulate a Selectric typewriter, but no one else around me would appreciate it. (Yes, I'm dating myself - it's not as if anyone else will... :rolleyes: )
    haha!a IBM fan here:) people have no idea of how famous of IBM's keyboard is:D the highest standard of all!i love my IBM laptop !and there are still some IBM laptops(model os not that old as i see) for lab used in undergraduate lab

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

There's almost always free computers in physics, chemistry and computers and they're ok.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

which according to a friend of mine had a non-euro-compliant condom machine

I have to confess I noticed that too one time when I saw some dude going crazy about it.

Advertisement