Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

worst football pundit

• 25-03-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

so who in your books is the worst of the football pundits??? personly for me it has to go to jamie redknapp hes just awful!gets his words mixed up all the time,over enthusiastic about almost anything makes ridiculous points etc but there is some good contenders out there such as eamon dunphy or steve mcmanaman,many hate andy gray and john giles has lost my respect after his constant ranting about how bad ronaldo was throughout last season he never stopped!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Jamie easy really, no idea why he still has a job on tv.

Roddy Collins close 2nd.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lawro for me - the fact he thinks he knows it all makes it worse.

I actually think jamie Redknap has improved as a pundit this season - less likely to simply repeat what the other pundits have said than he used to be.

In reality though, I don't think there are really any good pundits anymore - none of them point out subtlities that I have missed in the game - just the glaring defensive errors that EVERYONE saw. I miss Martin O'Neill, he was great as a pundit for the BBC during the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

it has to be dunphy the man is a prat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Tauren wrote: »

I actually think jamie Redknap has improved as a pundit this season - less likely to simply repeat what the other pundits have said than he used to be.

In reality though, I don't think there are really any good pundits anymore - none of them point out subtlities that I have missed in the game - just the glaring defensive errors that EVERYONE saw. I miss Martin O'Neill, he was great as a pundit for the BBC during the World Cup.

Martin O'Neil during the WC was hilarious. They had Cruyff in the studio one day and everyone was licking his arse something fierce and MON just destroyed him when he made a point he didn't agree with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Jamie Redknapp although Alan Hansen comes in at a close second.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Paul Os...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Ray Houghton by a distance.

Although you think the Irish and English pundits are bad. Watch soccer in Australia or the US and you will hear some crazy stuff.

That Irish fella who does it in the US springs to mind alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Anyone get the Trib on Sunday? Great article picking Redknapp to pieces as the waste of space that he is. I'll try find it online... some of the quotes are legendery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Alan Hansen comes in at a close second.

pace. movement. and desire lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Pat Dolan, he's a ravin' lunatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Jamie, no contest. I don't like Andy Gray but he's not such a bad pundit and Dunphy is the funniest troll in the world. Used to love Giles' analysis but maybe he's overexposed these days. Still think he's got the best insight. His ranting at Ronaldo is fair enough because it's sincere; I think if Giles was still playing with Ronaldo he'd give him a scelp and Ronaldo would be the more likeable for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

+1 on Ray Houghton. He really is brutal.

scruff321 wrote: »
    pace. movement. and desire lol
    Moral Courage, honesty of effort.

Take a bow Johnny Giles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

DesF wrote: »
    That Irish fella who does it in the US springs to mind alright.

Tommy Smyth? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Smyth

I kinda like him. He was the commentator for NY Metrostars when I first started watching them and going to their games.. He is usually pretty accurate with his points etc. It is strange though hearing a Louth accent on TV in the US :D

For me though, it has to be Jamie Redknapp... Such a tool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Anyone get the Trib on Sunday? Great article picking Redknapp to pieces as the waste of space that he is. I'll try find it online... some of the quotes are legendery.

Yeah it was a good rant about Jamie, especially how he uses the word "literally" literally in every sentence.
    Moral Courage, honesty of effort.

Take a bow Johnny Giles.

The legend himself, nothing beats a bit of honesty of effort....not even research.

Just to add another name to the list: Kenny Cunningham, easily the most boring pundit ever to work on tv. he basically just describes whats happening on a few replays, poorly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

1. Jamie Red
    2. Ronnie Whelan
    3. Ray Houghton
    4. Andy Townsend
    5. Alan Shearer
    6. Pat Dolan
    7. Lee Dixon
    8. Shakey Stevens
    9. Pinnocio
    10. Tim Sherwood

Tauren wrote: »

True but it is strange how good his predicitons are on bbc sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Whats about Jason McAteer, couldn't believe when i seen him on TV3 few weeks back!:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Trilla wrote: »
    True but it is strange how good his predicitons are on bbc sport

Lol yeah right. This is the guy whose predictions had City in the bottom three when they were actually fourth. The guy is a joker. He also currently has Liverpool 7 points ahead of Arsenal.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Lol yeah right. This is the guy whose predictions had City in the bottom three when they were actually fourth. The guy is a joker. He also currently has Liverpool 7 points ahead of Arsenal.

joke dude joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Trilla wrote: »
    joke dude joke!

My apologies. I failed to pick up on your sarcasm. God I hate that guy!

Also can't stand Cunningham, Dolan, Osam and Phil Thompson. I like Hansen though.

Also can't stand Cunningham, Dolan, Osam and Phil Thompson. I like Hansen though.

Its okay boss...not too many pick up on it tbf.

"Possibly so" Kenny has some sex-Ay eyebrows though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

McAteer, Packie Bonnar, Rednapp - basically anyone who is inarticulate and / or doesn't wish to venture an opinion.

I think Gilesie and Dunphy are frequently wrong but at least they spin the fcuk out of it and grind peoples gears. A bit of controversy is way better than innane generalisations being trotted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Does Giles know anything about football? in fact, does Dunphy?

Jamie Redknapp wins this though, he is like the guy in the pub desperate to join in a conversation so he looks cool. I think this may be why his dad wanted to give him a job at Pompey, to get him off the telly and stop him making an arse of himself.

his missus though...............:eek:

Jamie Redknapp wins this though, he is like the guy in the pub desperate to join in a conversation so he looks cool.
    Ha, I know someone exactly like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Ha, I know someone exactly like that.

we all do :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I really like Lawro. I think he's pretty direct, comes out with the odd ridiculous comment, but has a fairly good knowlegde of the game.

I hate Kenny C cause he's boring, Dunphy cause he's a cnut and Redknapp cause he talks sh1te.

Love Tommy Smyth on ESPN. Hilarious ol geezer. (fellow Dundalk man so gotta big him up..)

Also hate Craig Foster on Australian TV. Think he's on SBS. He talks absolute rubbish and in a way it sorta explains how clueless a lot of Aussies were about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Is this excluding Kenny Cunningham? If not wtf lads, ye's all know he cannot be beat, he is the worst thing on the television and I'de almost rather skip the premiership than watch him. Redknapp may not be great, Lawro may be poor and Jason McAteer may not have two brain cells to rub together but Kenny Cunningham has nothing. He is a shell of a man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Ray Houghton.
    Can't stand him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

CallMeJimmy you beat me to it! HOW HAS NOBODY SAID KENNY CUNNINGHAM???

His eyebrow movements... They give children nightmares. His Dublin/Birmingham accent is disturbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

It's Ray Houghton for me.

He always says "he should've done that earlier" at least 20 f**king times during a game.

Irritating little muppet.

Actually, I'd put Andy Gray ahead of Houghton...................just.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Houghton, Cunningham, Lawrenson, Gray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Ronnie Whelan

Guy makes me want to change the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

I actually like Dunphy. don't get me wrong he is a muppet but for pure comedy and entertainment he's brilliant. Some of the things he comes out with is priceless.

"When you weed out the nutters, it's around 80-20 behind Roy."

On Harry Kewell - "Kewell should have been yanked off the pitch at half time and put in a hot bath, a boiling hot bath."

On Harry Kewell again - "He's fat and a clown, Bill, a fat clown for all to see"

On Luis Garcia - "They (Liverpool) should put Garcia where he belongs - in the dustbin."

On Ireland in the 2002 World Cup - "I will be supporting Germany and Saudi Arabia in the contests ahead."

On Garth Crooks and Sven Goran Eriksson - "ha, ha, ha, that's the first time you'll see sex between 2 men live on the bbc"

On Djibril Cisse - "here we have Cisse, right wing, attempts to put in a cross, BANG...hits the full back, again BANG hits the full back, BANG...off the full back again, and once more, BANG...smacks the full back again....
    Millions of euro and he can't clear the first man, I mean...whats he trying to do to the full back here, kill him??"

On Liverpool v Barca - "I was hoping in the last fifteen minutes that Barcelona would beat them. I've made my mine up on Benitez tonight. He's a nice man but he's got a huge negative streak running through him. Liverpool were terrible in the second half. They didn't play football. If that was a concert, you'd boo. Gerrard: found out. A nothing player. They were terrible. Terrible"

Come on, the man is funny, mad, but funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

Ronnie Whelan

Guy makes me want to change the channel.

+1. Whats goin on with his half Dub, half scouse high pitched voice. It seems anyone with any link to Liverpool of the 80s walks into TV punditry. (Hansen, Lawrenson, Whelan, Houghton, Beglin, Thompson)

And any of the other TV3 ones, in particular the oul Dub, former league of Ireland manager lad (whose name I don't know).

JæKæ wrote: »
    And any of the other TV3 ones, in particular the oul Dub, former league of Ireland manager lad (whose name I don't know).
    Brian Kerr? :confused:

I'm losing faith in Giles over the last few years too. He's gettin a bit senile. Has no real knowledge of anything current, or any prem team outside the top 4 and Ireland.
    Just regurgitates the same stuff each night.
    He's still very likeable though

Leonardo was shiite during the last world cup too. His english ain't the best.
    Schmeichel states the obvious a lot. There should be more analysts that get there on merit, and not just because they were a great player back in the day

Brian Kerr? :confused:

Ah no, not Kerr. I don't even know if he was a league of Ireland manager, I just assumed he was, cause I don't recognise him. Mid 50s, grey hair, dub accent. Usually on the highlights programme at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

cunningham annoys me everytime he talks.

on the premiership i actually put it on mute when he does his step by step analysis for the blind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm losing faith in Giles over the last few years too. He's gettin a bit senile. Has no real knowledge of anything current, or any prem team outside the top 4 and Ireland.
    Just regurgitates the same stuff each night.
    He's still very likeable though

Leonardo was shiite during the last world cup too. His english ain't the best.
    Schmeichel states the obvious a lot. There should be more analysts that get there on merit, and not just because they were a great player back in the day
    I thought Leondardo was good, I like Souness (as a pundit) too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

Yeah Cunningham for sure. Have to say love Dunphy espec. when he gets on a rant about Roy or Stan. That comment about the train driver from Dublin to Cork was hillarious.
    Can't STAND any clown sorry commentator on TV3 or anyone who migrates away from them. Trevor Welch gets on my wick too.
    This thread to go on and on... :D

Ah no, not Kerr. I don't even know if he was a league of Ireland manager, I just assumed he was, cause I don't recognise him. Mid 50s, grey hair, dub accent. Usually on the highlights programme at night.

Sounds a bit like Rico.

Damien Richardson.

http://dynimg.rte.ie/00005e7b10dr.jpg

But he's moved to RTE now, for the eL highlights.

He's not the worst tbh, a bit long winded at times, but his knowledge is sound.

Or it could be current Ireland Women's manager Noel King, he used to be on TV3, but I can't find a picture of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

You guys are lucky. Not a pundit, but I have to put up with this guy commentating - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS6Np-g_h5w

Ok, this one is funny though - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgk04dtId7Y&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Lawro for me, talks utter crap most of the time imo, and also he looks like he is sitting on the toilet taking a poo imo. when he is on MOTD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Anyone on MOTD tbh. Its all too nice and agreeable compared to the warzone that is RTE CL analysis.

Aint got sky sports (or, in fact, any decent channels seeing as Im renting in a gaff with the poxy old 16 channel NTL) so cant really comment. Never watch CL on ITV obviously, so cant comment either.

Dunphy talks out of his arse, but jesus the world would be a duller place without him. Hope he is still there well into his 90s waffling away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

+1. Whats goin on with his half Dub, half scouse high pitched voice. It seems anyone with any link to Liverpool of the 80s walks into TV punditry. (Hansen, Lawrenson, Whelan, Houghton, Beglin, Thompson)

Paddy Mulligan maybe.

Did he manage in the League of Ireland?

He played for Rovers before career in England with chelsea etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

shane86 wrote: »
    Anyone on MOTD tbh. Its all too nice and agreeable compared to the warzone that is RTE CL analysis.

Have to agree re motd, I think what gets me is that they are all too friendly cracing jokes that only they get.

That said I love MOTD2 on a Sunday, and like it when Keown, Dixon and Peacock are on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Jamie Redknapp...so bland,says nothing at all usually,but if he does,it tends ot be nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Ian Wright

• Advertisement
Advertisement