Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

worst football pundit

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ian wright and jamie redknapp tied for first

stan collymore is one of the best, amazingly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Archimedes wrote: »
    Ian Wright

I love the guy. Probably not the most professional TV pundit, but he wears his heart on his sleave. I remember one England game, I think it was the Beckham v Greece game, he was jumping all over the studio a one point.

He gave Bradley a public dressing down for getting arrested as well, which I thought was to his credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I love the guy. Probably not the most professional TV pundit, but he wears his heart on his sleave. I remember one England game, I think it was the Beckham v Greece game, he was jumping all over the studio a one point.

He gave Bradley a public dressing down for getting arrested as well, which I thought was to his credit.

Absolute legend imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

ray houghton, talk about stating the obvious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Ian Wright

But your forgetting kenny cunningham ye see... if we are honest, there is no debate, kenny takes the cake. Ian Wright may talk ****e or be a douchebag or whatever, but at least he has more than one tone to his voice. Cunningham is just like... a drumbeat, he says a word on each beat and then does an eyebrow spasm to show that his body is not 100% wood from a tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Can't stand Jamie Redknapp although I've more respect for him now for standing up to Andy Gray's BS at the weekend. Don't like Ronnie Whelan much. Jason McAteer is awful. Same goes for Pat Dolan.

Alan Shearer irritates the hell out of me. Same goes for Ian Wright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

hamnegg wrote: »
    On Garth Crooks and Sven Goran Eriksson - "ha, ha, ha, that's the first time you'll see sex between 2 men live on the bbc"

I remember that one! How that wasn't considered liable I don't know.

Practically anyone from ITV, Setanta or TV3. Dreadful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

ibh wrote: »
    Also hate Craig Foster on Australian TV. Think he's on SBS. He talks absolute rubbish and in a way it sorta explains how clueless a lot of Aussies were about football.

Ha ha yes he is woeful all right.

That tool Keith Costigan on Fox Sports US is another joker. Dublin lad who hasn't a breeze. Spent the prematch, half time and aftermatch insisting City were playing 4-4-2 even though Martin Tyler said about 5 times during commentary that it was 4-5-1.
    JæKæ wrote: »
    Ah no, not Kerr. I don't even know if he was a league of Ireland manager, I just assumed he was, cause I don't recognise him. Mid 50s, grey hair, dub accent. Usually on the highlights programme at night.

Noel King?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ian Wright

said one of the funniest things on tv though. United fans singing abuse at Shearer & Hansen after beating Villa in the cup last year i think. Shearer, Hansen and Wright in studio at game.

Presenter: What you think of the game? (or something to that effect)
    Wright: Ah mate I'm just hear for the songs

Cheer up Alan Shearer, Oh what can it be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

Jamie Redknapp for stating the obvious all the time

Johnny Giles is steadily getting worse too

At least Jimmy Magee isn't a pundit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭JæKæ

DesF wrote: »
    Or it could be current Ireland Women's manager Noel King, he used to be on TV3, but I can't find a picture of him.

That's him, he's cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    CallMeJimmy you beat me to it! HOW HAS NOBODY SAID KENNY CUNNINGHAM???

His eyebrow movements... They give children nightmares. His Dublin/Birmingham accent is disturbing.

I had actually posted Kenny C. Was too fcuking lazy to write Cunningham. But yes, both his accent and his eyebrows are disturbing.

Just remembered that douchebag Adrian Childs on MOTD2. I know he's a presenter rather than a pundit. But he is fcuking hopeless. He's a daytime TV presenter ffs..! Spends more time talking about funny irrelevant things that happen over the weekend instead of actually discussing football.

Oh and when ITV had the PL highlights, Andy Townsend and Robbie Earle were both sh!te as well.
    Only redeeming feature was that they had Big Ron for a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

ibh wrote: »
    But yes, both his accent and his eyebrows are disturbing.
    Someone from Dundalk having a pop and another person's accent?

By christ.

By christ.

ROFL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

By christ.

I'm pretty sure an accent with a trace of Brum in it takes precedent over any other accent. Even from Dundalk!!

Plus, i spent a lot of time up North so i've got a hybrid accent. Good or bad?? Who knows..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Don't think anyone has mentioned him but, just watchin' MOTD 2 there and f*ck me, Tony Adams is one long drawn out boring sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Mweelrea wrote: »
    Jamie Redknapp for stating the obvious all the time

Alan shearer is the worst for this!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

ray houghton -- regarding the BBC, the quality of match commentating is worse now than RTE -- that woman commentator is cat , and their top gun JP , is probably worse :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Ian Wright

f**kin definately. dislike him more then dunphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Steve Claridge.

I hate this guy. I had a fight with him around the World Cup 2006. I rang the show, and I said that England don't have any 'smart' players in midfield. I also said Hargreaves was the best midfielder they had, and that Sven was doing the best with what he's got.

Peter Beagrie could 'understand where I was coming from'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anyone remember Paddy "Mr Neutral" Crerand?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Jim Beglin. For any chance, if a goal results its because of bad defending, if the chance is missed its because of a poor attempt by the attacker. Never anything positive to say.

Of course there are the other old favourites of Alan "Creosote" Shearer, Garth "Token" Crooks, Graeme "Monotone" LeSaux. Oh and Gazza on ITV during the world cup for being completely out of his depth.

BTW.. After watching MOTD2 tonight, has Tony Adams suffered brain damage or something?. You could nearly see the cogs in his brain having to work overtime just to get a sentence out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Definitely Andy Gray. The others may be crap and stupid, but at least they attempt balance and neutrality and aren't essentially a marketing executive with a microphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Gareth Crooks wins by a long distance. He's hopeless. After England qualified for the second round of the WC he walked up to Sven and announced "I can confirm that England have qualified for the next round". At which point Sven stared blankly at him.

Shearer is useless aswell. Hansen another fool and very fond of seeing players head the ball. Dixon is an arrogant little fella. So none of the BBC lads are worth much.

The best IMO are Gullit, Gray (who can be irritating quite a bit of the time but he talks sense) and although he might not be a pundit so to speak Chris Kamara if only for the comedy factor.

Trevor f*cking Francis. It was bad enough watching City the other night without this absolute waster giving his completely biased opinion on every decision that went against Birmingham, no matter how bloody obvious it was. Worst thing is he was brought in to be neutral as he played for both clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Not a pundit but I cant stand Ray 'hingsight' Houghton.

"What he should have done there.." x100000000 every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Literally every ex Irish player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

tony adams seemed pretty drunk on motd 2 tonight,so ill go with him...

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

zuchum wrote: »
    I'd go along with that, he was woeful. I was hoping for some tactical insight from a current coach, and all we got was some mumblings about "well we tried to mark Cahill, but it didn't work"
    Best part of the show was Adrian Chiles trying to get some inside info out of him for the West Brom - Pompey semi final next weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Stky10 wrote: »
    BTW.. After watching MOTD2 tonight, has Tony Adams suffered brain damage or something?. You could nearly see the cogs in his brain having to work overtime just to get a sentence out.
    zuchum wrote: »
    Actually, Adams was on Sky on Grand Slam Sunday last weekend, and I said the same to the lads.

He was definitely on something, imo.

Seemed pissed as a brewers fart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Steve Claridge.

Absoluteley 5 million percent on the button with this! Lived in London for a few years and Channel 5 showed some of the Irish games which Claridge was on. He's a muppet, who talks cr@p with a really, really annoying smugness!! Ahhhh, now I can finally move on:)

John Barnes was on Channel 5 also, he was dire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

One specific bout gives me the shivers. When Liverpool played Barca in the Nou Camp last year ITV had Andy Towsend and Ally McCoist set up with a pedestal near one of the corner flags before the match. It was nearly a matter of who could produce the best banality with Townsend starting with the likes of 'The team that plays best will probably win' and McCoist countering with classics like 'Messi's a great player'. No tactical analysis presented at all over a full half hour.

To be fair I don't think that many pundits give much insight into games anymore, raising a point where you think 'Yeah thats a good point' etc. Therefore all you can look for, most of the time, is some entertainment value and RTE are probably the best for that in general. Even thought they're both twats at least Gray and Redknapps spat on Grand Slam Sunday was entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Reading through this thread makes me wonder are there any GOOD pundits out there? So much boring and banal sh1te that passes as 'analysis'.

Sky presenters dare say anything negative lest they criticise their own cash cow i.e the premier league. On BBC they just kiss ass incessantly and ITV are even worse. For all the nonsense that comes out of Dunphy (and to be fair he does make some good points from time to time) at least RTE is entertaining compared to the rest. Though Giles is out of touch and has no knowledge of the modern game outside of the obvious. He'll be doing a champions league game involving some European team and won't even know anything about them. Reaching his sell by date imo.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Pat Dolan, he's a ravin' lunatic.

+25000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

the post-match analysis for Barca-Celtic was hilarious alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Lawro and Houghton, oh how i hate those two.

Giles and Dunphy arent great either but there entertainment really!

For good pundits id have to say Liam Brady, talks ALOT of sense, unfortunatly i didnt see mon as a pundit at the world cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Dunphy. Should have kept his word and packed it in years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Definitly Kerr. The other bad pundits have some entertainment value (step forward Jamie "everybody's amazing" Redknapp) but Kerr is so boring.

As for the good ones, the fat bloke off Setanta has grown on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Bubs101 wrote: »
    As for the good ones, the fat bloke off Setanta has grown on me

:eek: Pat Dolan? The only thing that's grown there is his crazy hair[if it's real :eek:]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Dolan is great just far too cynical.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Pat Dolan, he's a ravin' lunatic.

dolan is a prize plonker but john toshack would run him very close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I think this award needs to go David Pleat, he is an insufferable ****. Hasnt a clue , I know he isnt a Pundit, and more of a commentator, but he is wrecking my head listening to him commentate on the United game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Stky10 wrote: »

Was thinking this myself. Tony used to be a fan of the sauce apparently? I wonder how they could even tell when he was drunk and when not. I guess the answer would be to check was his car sticking out of a brick wall.

Fat Dolan and Lawro are shíte but at least they're a good laugh. I don't mean they're funny guys either (tho they clearly think as much of themselves). I just mean I enjoy laughing AT them. Fat Dolans wig is a hoot and Lawro seems to be the only man on earth who actually looks MORE stupid after shaving off his handlebar moustache.

Andy Townsend is the worst tho. Has he ever given an opinion that wasn't scripted for him? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Souness and Brady are muck tonight. Talking so much crap its not even funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Souness and Brady are muck tonight. Talking so much crap its not even funny.

I laughed out loud at Brady talking about how Ronaldo annoys him since he is coming from a neutral point of view. The guy is employed by Arsenal for crying out loud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have to go for Townsend especially when I rang RTE live on air during a world cup to tell him he was wrong when he said a player dived for a penalty(cant remember the game).

I told him the player had his shirt pulled and that he was just looking at it from the wrong angle but he was having none of it and dismissed me completely. The next night when they showed "the other angle" he admitted it was a clear penalty!:D

Alot of the hated figures I like though not all for the same reason.
    Dunphy I went through a period of hating but now I miss him when hes not on.
    He talks 99% ****e, but its very entertaining ****e.

My other favourites(because I do think they are good pundits) are: Dolan, Merson, Guillit and Hansen.

Not hated but total snorefests include: Schmeichel, Shearer, Cunningham, Whelan, Steven, Redknapp, Desailly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Paul Osam, goes without sayin i suppose! They should give him a shot of adrenaline beforehand.

On bbc, not a fan of Hansen/Lawro/Shearer combo. The same aul guff every week and just not worth listening to.

Townsend on Itv with the touch screen analysis is ridiculous. Although I think it was ITV who brough us Gazza during the 2002 world cup, legendary!:D

Sick of Souness on RTE now, (he seems to have be at the ronseal by the colour of him tonight!):p

Dont always agree but Giles, Dunphy, Brady are the kings and Bill of course:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Brady must have been smoking the wacky stuff tonight. Giggs has had a great season, what the f....? And Souness was especially bitter, which is strange, as Ive never seen him have a problem with United before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Flashback. Ian Wright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Ian wright especially when shaun wright philips is playing. For some reason he has to remind us thats his son every 5mins its well annoying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement