Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is pci-e backwards compatible?

Options
  • 25-03-2008 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I've put together a P4 desktop using a pc that was being dumped from work. Added RAM and a hard drive and bobs yer uncle.

But getting all the drivers in has been a pain - basically, I cannot get the graphics adaptor to accept drivers. Now, the computer works perfectly in windows but it can't run direct X. Basically, I want it to be able to run basic things like google earth and maybe older games that I've always wanted to take a whack at eg. Homeworld 2 etc.

Now, it's a HP DC5000 and has 'three full height pci slots'. http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11876_div/11876_div.HTML

I'm thinking about throwing in a cheap second hand graphics card and would appreciate some advice...

1) Pci express is backward compatible, yes? So if I throw one into a pci slot, it will work fine.

2) A separate graphics card will work around the driver problems I'm having with the integrated intel graphics? Yes or no? I don't want to buy a card and find out I'm still snookered!

Was thinking about this:
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=50079&cat=8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

no... PCI express is NOT backwards compatible with PCI. It will not fit in a PCI slot. You will need to buy a PCI graphics card for that PC. Does it happen to have an AGP slot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Intel Extreme is pretty crappy anyway, even for a lot of older games, so a dedicated card is your best option regardless.

Unfortunately PCI cards are incredibly slow, and much more expensive then their agp and pci-e counterparts - E-Bay is your best best, for something like a PCI Radeon 9000 or Nvidia Fx5200. There are better pci cards out there, but they're so ludicrously priced it's definitely not worth it.

Will be fine for Homeworld 2 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

No, no AGP slot unfortunately.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Not sure it's worth my while getting a completely antiquated card if it's gonna cost that much.

Might take another wack at getting the integrated graphics working and keep on waiting to play Homeworld. I got it for a fiver in HMV three years and I'm still waiting to play it :p

Advertisement