Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jeep

Options
  • 25-03-2008 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have a budget of around 20k and am looking at a jeep for mainly pulling a trailer etc. With diesel prices increasing, is there something out there somewhat economical.
    Toyota Landcruiser would be the best but at 27/28 mpg! I have always driven a vw golf so would a vw caddy be my best option for fuel economy.
    Have always liked the look of Kia Sorento.
    Any advice or comments apprecaited.
    Pete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why a jeep, as opposed to a car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

If it is doing real work, pulling heavy loads, in fields/building sites then get a Land Cruiser. What you would save in fuel in a Kia/Hyundi you will spend in repairs. These yokes are made for yummie mummies/posers not for hard work/off road.
    A Landrover Discovery may also be an option but they are'nt too reliable.
    You might want to get ready for a lot of angry posts about buying a jeep by the way, a lot of angry hippies on the boards.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I've a Sorento, it's heavy enough on juice. 330-340 miles to a tank. Just under 80 euro to fill. This is regular city driving/traffic etc. Very comfortable and roomy though.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

caoibhin wrote: »
    get a Land Cruiser. What you would save in fuel in a Kia/Hyundi you will spend in repairs. These yokes are made for yummie mummies/posers not for hard work/off road.

Ehhhhhhhhhh Caoibhin, hang on there, I feel your Wrong...(but i do acknowledge that you are entitled to your opinion....but I own a Kia Sorrento and its Uber Reliable.(so i'm well placed to comment)....never goes wrong.....and is very easy to service... Does 33mpg to boot (not towing ,cruising). I tow a 12 foot towvan, and a 16ft ifor williams all the time and its a good tow vehicle, one of the best in its class.
    I'm not a yummy mummy either:D.
    All this Toytoa Landcruiser stuff being wonderful....i know blokes with them and had terrible trouble......you can be unlucky with any vehicle.
    The Kia Sorrie is also excellent value for money.

Re; Hyundai - i can advise there too as I have one (the wifes)so Pm me any questions.

Fair nuff,
    I have wreaked a Hyundai and a VW jeep on forest roads. Must be my driving.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Easy on there, caoibhin. If the OP's considering a Caddy, I think we can safely assume he doesn't need a Land Cruiser.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If fuel economy is so critical buy a jeep for 18k and that'll give you a 2k head start;)

My point: fuel economy isn't everything. No matter what way you go- motoring is expensive and after taking TWENTY THOUSAND EURO and giving it away for a car, the rest is only detailitis. Worrying about a potential 2-4 mpg difference is totally pointless and insignificant. Especially after you have paid the 'It's a Toyota, boy' premium.

If you're pulling loads, they'll all be heavy on juice and don't believe the offiical figures for the 2.0 Santa Fes etc, they're almost as bad.

Conclusion- buy the one that represents the best value for money and put the rest down as running costs. You are forgiven for asking a silly question:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As you're looking at commercials anyway and seating doesn't seem to be an issue, why not go for a van (transit, hiace, etc)?

Maybe something like a Peugeot expert with the 2.0 HDI ..that should be frugal enough and in good supply.

Your budget gets you a new one, even ...and enough room that you mightn't even need the trailer all the time

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Peugeot/Expert/2.0-HDI/724786/

Depends on how much weight you want to tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pete6296

Hi,
    Looking at something for towing an Ifor Williams 12 X 6 builders trailer and the more i look, the more i am considering the Caddy. As i said previously, have driven golf all my life and they are very reliable.
    Thanks,
    Pete
    peasant wrote: »
    As you're looking at commercials anyway and seating doesn't seem to be an issue, why not go for a van (transit, hiace, etc)?

Maybe something like a Peugeot expert with the 2.0 HDI ..that should be frugal enough and in good supply.

Your budget gets you a new one, even ...and enough room that you mightn't even need the trailer all the time

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Peugeot/Expert/2.0-HDI/724786/

Depends on how much weight you want to tow.

If you are going for a Caddy (great van) just check with your insurance that you are covered to tow a double axle trailer. A caddy being 2 wheel drive, an insurance company once told me that my Golf wouldnt be insured to pull a double axle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

well ..you really need to do your homework on trailer weight, load weight, rated weight of the towing vehicle, max weight of vehicle plus trailer, what your licence covers etc before you decide what to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

I know someone looking to sell a lovely Jeep.

Its a 2005 Jeep Cherokee Limited. Its the 3.7L V6 version which is heavy enough on the juice but the fully loaded and has low mileage and you might be able to swing 20k for a quick sale if you are intersted. At that price it would more then make up for the extra spend on the fuel.

Its black with all the chrome trimmings with full leather etc...

PM if you are interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

caoibhin wrote: »
    Must be my driving.:o

:D:D Heavy right foot there,have ya?:pac::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

whatever it is you could always throw one of these in
    saves fuel and will give your motor loads of extra torque specially if its a turbo diesel :D

http://www.gtidirect.ie/sh744y.html

Advertisement