Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum main street - going to the dogs?

Options
  • 25-03-2008 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

Since the new town centre opened, main street has been going downhill at a fairly brisk pace with a number of shops now empty. The whole main street has a much more low-key downbeat feel about it.

Then the other day I was on the 48A (I normally use the 14/14A) heading home to see my folks in ballinteer when I noticed they had cut down all the large mature trees that had been in front of the old shopping centre. So when did this happen? Why? Talk about adding insult to injury - the main street really looks bleak now! I'm assuming to is something to do with the next phase of the town centre but did they really need to remove those trees and could they have not incorporated them into phase two?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

you should see the plans for phase two!! Don't you worry, there will be trees galore. The whole old centre is being leveled with plans for an unltra chic Designer area :)
    There was ground tests etc. done in the old centre carpark last Oct.
    I'm not looking forward to the building of it (well all remember how horrible the centre its self was being built) but there is steady work going on everywhere :) all for the better as far as I can see!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i think the marble road is holding up pretty well on the main street ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

shazpunk wrote: »
    you should see the plans for phase two!!

Love to, know where they are? Can't find them anywhere which is a bit odd since they seem to be gearing up to start the redevelopment

Few will start a business on Main street till phase 2 is complete, so I reckon it'll get worse before it gets better. Once phase 2 is open though things should turn around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

here are the revised, revised? yeah I only just heard about that as well, plans:clicky
    Why the residents of sweetmount aren't up in arms is beyond me, since the hotel is almost as tall as the luas bridge pylons and about as ugly. BTW you have under two weeks to make objections. The Dundrum gazette says councillors Aiden Culhane(Lab contact) and Gerry Horkan(FF - contact) are "concerned"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Lots of wierd stuff going on there - has anyone seen that "monstrosity" just past the roundabout before the bridge? The one with all the shiny silver panels? How the hell did that get past the planners and the local residents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

dogmatix wrote: »
    Lots of wierd stuff going on there - has anyone seen that "monstrosity" just past the roundabout before the bridge? The one with all the shiny silver panels? How the hell did that get past the planners and the local residents?

Isn't it incredible? The glare of the panels is blinding for traffic on the bypass, depending on the direction of the sun. I know the locals objected strenuously at the time, but to no avail.

Advertisement