Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Fire - All headford road has no power including sandy road, sean mulvoy etc.

Options
  • 25-03-2008 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

There was a fire at the moneengeisha sub station over an hour ago. The fires out now but theres no powere down the headford road or anything including the magic roundabout.

The magic roundabout is like the arc de triomphe roundabout. Absolutely mad and was stuck in traffic for ages.

If you look at the substation you can see one or two of the external terminals are burnt.

I don't know how much was damaged but we are here in the GFSC (right beside the station) and have power so it seems it's just limited to one or two outputs. (terminals)

Anybody know where else is out? I would be interested to see how far this substation goes.

Also anyone know how long this might take to repair as it's also affected my house and I want to cook my dinner this evening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

City centre is fine, was just walking through it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Magic Roundabout is better without lights. Give it a few days.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Sherifu wrote: »
    Also known as the Courthouse Connundrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Sherifu wrote: »

I agree it's better without lights but only at night. They really should turn them off at night.

biko wrote: »
    City centre is fine, was just walking through it

The city centre is powered by a sub-station in Eyre Sq. I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Had a bit of a power surge here in Oranmore bout an hr ago. Lights flickered on and off. Fine now though. I presume it was when they shut the station down (assuming they had to)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Robbo wrote: »

and also known as the Circus of Horrors for a while there...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

OT: Why is it known as the magic roundabout? It's just a roundabout with lights.

In my experience magic roundabouts are roundabouts with a big one in the middle and several small ones around it.

swindonRAB.jpg

MattKid wrote: »
    OT: Why is it known as the magic roundabout? It's just a roundabout with lights.

In my experience magic roundabouts are roundabouts with a big one in the middle and several small ones around it.

swindonRAB.jpg

Dunno. I think somebody called it that on motors before.

I never really asked myself "What is a magic roundabout?"

Seeing as you posted a roundabout in Swindon it reminded me off a little bit of trivia I heard about it.....that being it has the most amount of roundabouts for a city I think in the UK. Seems strange that it could be more than London but that's what I read and I think it was on wikipedia.

Is the 'Magic Roundabout' not from some children's program on TV??

• Advertisement

By Golly I'm right :Dhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magic_Roundabout
    The Magic Roundabout (Known in the original French as Le Manège enchanté) was a children's television programme created in France in 1963 by Serge Danot. Some five hundred five-minute-long episodes were made and were originally broadcast between 1964 and 1971 on ORTF.

It was in the United Kingdom that the series became best known. The English version was narrated by Eric Thompson, the father of Emma Thompson, and broadcast from 18 October 1965 to January 1977. This version of the show attained cult status, and was watched as much by adults for its dry humour as by the children for whom it was intended.

MattKid wrote: »
    It's magic because so many people dunno which lane to use, guess wrongly, discover they're wrong and pull off a magic trick to get where they're going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Anyway back on topic. The college was also out. I went home. Got bored. Came back. That is all on the big lights out.

On the subject of the Roundabout it is relatively easy to negotiate when the lights are on. Never went through it with lights out although it would make sense between 11pm and 6am. I think the main reason for the lights is to let people out of Sean Mulvoy Rd. and the Shopping Centre. They could end up waiting for ages with lights off

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

They have a magic roundabout in Galway too? The one in Cork scares some people so much that they can't leave the country as it's the only way to the airport for some people.

I think a magic roundabout is any one that terrifies people!

All newcastle according to one of the lads aswell so it's NUIG you mean i'd say.

janeybabe wrote: »
    They have a magic roundabout in Galway too? The one in Cork scares some people so much that they can't leave the country as it's the only way to the airport for some people.

I think a magic roundabout is any one that terrifies people!

Have been on that roundabout before many's a time, it is top notch roundaboutage compared to the hilarity at the headford road magic roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Have been on that roundabout before many's a time, it is top notch roundaboutage compared to the hilarity at the headford road magic roundabout

Fabulous! Road trip to the headford road roundabout people! (Is is bad that I still don't know where that is after 7 months of living in Galway?)

On topic: Electricity back?

janeybabe wrote: »
    Fabulous! Road trip to the headford road roundabout people! (Is is bad that I still don't know where that is after 7 months of living in Galway?)

Just follow the sound of car horns and shouting at roughly 5.45pm weekdays

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Robbo wrote: »

So if you get your way, every roundabout in Galway will have traffic lights? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

So, is power back yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Calm down people it was back around half 2 yesterday.

They killed frink![12:56 until 15:29 25th March, 2008] Bastards!

kevmy wrote: »
    Calm down people it was back around half 2 yesterday.

It was back when I went home yesterday anyway. They must be able to switch over to a backup if they had it that quick. I did not see any ESB's bouys around the sub station when I was coming back from lunch around 2.

Advertisement