Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joggers in cycle lanes.

Options
  • 25-03-2008 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I am an OP of a parallel thread in the motoring forum on the subject of joggers using public roads in preference to the foot paths that are provided. I would like to hear from a cyclists opinion what you would think of them jogging in cycle lanes and Im sure they do use them. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055261224

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

It's a cycle lane. It's for bikes. People cycle relatively fast on road based cycle lanes. Having to slow down and move into traffic to avoid a jogger is dangerous for cyclist and jogger. Stick to the path, designed for foot traffic.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Verb wrote: »
    It's a cycle lane. It's for bikes. People cycle relatively fast on road based cycle lanes. Having to slow down and move into traffic to avoid a jogger is dangerous for cyclist and jogger. Stick to the path, designed for foot traffic.

Gav
    What he said.
    Pedestrians get miffed when cyclists are on the path. Same goes for cyclists when pedestrians are on the cycle track. Cyclists are capable of going upwards of 50km/h. If you are afraid to run on the road for fear of getting knocked down, apply that logic to the cycle track too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

there have been several threads dealing with this issue. the phoenix park seems to be a particular problem. search function much? :p

the thread the op started in motors is full of the usual nonsense though. the ol' road-tax argument? licensing? knees? skateboarders? 4x4 bashing?

snooze......

niceonetom wrote: »
    the ol' road-tax argument?
    yeah I love that one, cos a cyclist or jogger could not POSSIBLY own a car - I mean like if you DID have a car why would you EVER consider running or cycling to work or the shops or whatever ?!?!?! Instead they should be thanking us for paying our full whack of motor tax and not getting our value's worth by driving everywhere.

I just wish that the d1ckhead drivers (not all drivers) would realise that if I chose to drive to work instead of cycle I would be ahead of them for a lot more of their journey than the couple of inconvenient seconds I am on the bike. Muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

the thread the op started in motors is full of the usual nonsense though. the ol' road-tax argument? licensing? knees? skateboarders? 4x4 bashing?

snooze......

+1 Life's too short to be posting there (but I want to advertise this new sig). It's sad that people have these stupid attitudes. Imagine if we took their logic and said that the roads are for freight only and private cars should stick to their own driveways... and if you're too poor to have a long driveway then don't buy a car and go out and get another job instead of complaining here... rant rant.

Anyway there are more motor vehicles in the 'cycle tracks' than joggers and I don't mind the joggers as much. They're not blowing fumes in my face either:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    I just wish that the d1ckhead drivers (not all drivers) would realise that if I chose to drive to work instead of cycle I would be ahead of them for a lot more of their journey than the couple of inconvenient seconds I am on the bike. Muppets.

Dunno where you work, but there's few times of the day when I'd be quicker driving than cycling to work:) +1 on the whole road tax argument though. Lazy bodies and lazy brains some of them...

I dunno, I like posting on the motors/commuting & transport threads. It's really good fun trolling there, the sheer outrage is great.

oobydooby wrote: »
    Dunno where you work, but there's few times of the day when I'd be quicker driving than cycling to work:) +1 on the whole road tax argument though. Lazy bodies and lazy brains some of them...
    Speed of commute aside, my point is that if I was in a car I'd be ahead of them for vast portions of the commute - at all the lights I'd be in the car in front of them, whereas as I'm on a bike I do not take up a car space in the traffic jam, so if it takes them 10 seconds to get by me on the road, so what - if I was a car I'd be in front all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

It is quite dangerous as I noticed a lot of joggers have music and don't always hear if we cycle behind them.

Even thought a good number of joggers tend to run straight and keep to one side of the cycling lane... they should use the footpath ... or just get a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Jaysus.......

Just be sound to each other everybody. It's not that ****in hard.

• Advertisement

Speed of commute aside, my point is that if I was in a car I'd be ahead of them for vast portions of the commute - at all the lights I'd be in the car in front of them, whereas as I'm on a bike I do not take up a car space in the traffic jam, so if it takes them 10 seconds to get by me on the road, so what - if I was a car I'd be in front all the way.

I knew what you meant, sorry I'm still learning about smiley etiquette:) I was in a taxi home recently and he patiently waited behind a (fairly errant) cyclist, giving the cyclist plenty of room, not revving or trying a dangerous overtaking. When he did pass I asked the driver if he cycled. Was certain he would be a cyclist but he wasn't. He said you'd have to be a kamikaze to cycle in Dublin:eek: I disagreed but asked him why he gave the cyclist so much room/respect and I was surprised to hear him say that although he thought cyclists were nuts he had a lot of time for them because they mean one car less in a congested city. Basically your point kenmc. Sound man, wish all taxi drivers came from his school.

In fairness I think most taxi drivers are at least patient - they have to be to drive in that traffic day in day out - after all they're getting paid to get from A to B, regardless of how long it takes, whereas most drivers don't _start_ to get paid unless and until they get from A to B, so they're the ones most likely to try to get by to get to the most important meeting of their lives or something.

It's the sudden stopping/uturns/doors opening/unchecked turns that are the main reason I fear taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you are going to run/walk on cycle tracks at least do it into the cycling traffic. People have no way of knowing if you are going to step out to dodge a puddle/turd etc.

If you are a utter idiot and walk 2 or 3 abreast with cyclists coming behind then look around every 2 mins to see if one is coming, and step well aside, as step aside to the point that is easiest for a cyclist not to be trapped in. e.g. if there is a wall or barrier to the left, then step against it. This happens all the time on the N11, you can be going 35mph and catch up with this kunts in no time.

Most have been OK recently, even though they were walking with the traffic, the worst offenders are middle aged women 2 abreast, when you do come up they look at you as though you were in the wrong!

Coming from whites cross after foxrock church you can build up some speed, there is a blindish corner there, once I came around it, around 35mph to be met by some idiot pushing her pram into cyclists, should have been taken off her, stupid bitch, there is a perfectly good path nicely separated on that stretch.

The gardai are no better, had 2 in the last few months, totally oblivious, had to slow to a near stop before the arseholes noticed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

And just add to the equation that the jogger will probably be plugged to his ipod...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

It would be good if a couple of people went up to the phoenix park some time and stopped these joggers in "their tracks" and asked them what they think of what they're doing.

I'm sure if you stop enough of them ,they'll realise it's a pain having to gain momentum again.

could always cycle past them, then stop and turn your bike across the bike track so they have to go around you on the path. lather, rinse, repeat until they get so pissed off they ask what you're doing at which point you can tell them that they now know how you feel when they run on the cycle track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Curious to know, who is in the wrong of a cylist hits a pedestrian who is walking on cycle lane. For example you are cycling up behind thema nd they suddenly decide to cross road and you whack into them. Seems like their fault but should you have shouted or something. So many people have ipods or, worse still, walking while on phone and then wander onto road.

Curious to know, who is in the wrong of a cylist hits a pedestrian who is walking on cycle lane. For example you are cycling up behind thema nd they suddenly decide to cross road and you whack into them. Seems like their fault but should you have shouted or something. So many people have ipods or, worse still, walking while on phone and then wander onto road.

As I understand it, a pedestrian has right of way once they are on the road. That's what my copy of the rules of the road said anyway !

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

As I understand it, a pedestrian has right of way once they are on the road. That's what my copy of the rules of the road said anyway !

Gav

What if they're walking on one of those duel paths/cycle tracks and step out in front of you ... ? They're not technically on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

As I understand it, a pedestrian has right of way once they are on the road.
    Having the right of way only applies when crossing the road & even then some care is expected of the pedestrian.

On a cycle track, pedestrians don't have right of way unless crossing. Even when they're completely in the wrong, you're still not allowed hit them. Both you and the pedestrian must take care at all times. You're expected to be prepared for a sudden change of course & the pedestrian is supposed to look where they're going. The fact that a pedestrian is walking on a cycle track does not put them 100% in the wrong.

In the event of an accident both your solicitors and barristers will come out best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

could always cycle past them, then stop and turn your bike across the bike track so they have to go around you on the path. lather, rinse, repeat until they get so pissed off they ask what you're doing at which point you can tell them that they now know how you feel when they run on the cycle track.
    Beautiful, can't wait to try this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

rubadub wrote: »
    If you are a utter idiot and walk 2 or 3 abreast with cyclists coming behind then look around every 2 mins to see if one is coming, and step well aside, as step aside to the point that is easiest for a cyclist not to be trapped in. e.g. if there is a wall or barrier to the left, then step against it. This happens all the time on the N11, you can be going 35mph and catch up with this kunts in no time.

Coming from whites cross after foxrock church you can build up some speed, there is a blindish corner there, once I came around it, around 35mph to be met by some idiot pushing her pram into cyclists, should have been taken off her, stupid bitch, there is a perfectly good path nicely separated on that stretch.

The gardai are no better, had 2 in the last few months, totally oblivious, had to slow to a near stop before the arseholes noticed me.

Wouldn't you be better off on the road at that speed?

studiorat wrote: »
    Yes of course. That is why the rediculous law stating that "A cyclist must use a cycle track if it is provided." is so stupid. We are capable of travelling faster than the minimum speed limit required for the motorway. Yet they expect us to use the cycle tracks where pedestrians walk. Utter idiocy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I bet you'd be pulled for doing 35mph on a cycle lane before you would be on the road. Particularly if you were kited out on a race bike etc. I regularly use the road if there are pedestrians/slower cyclists on the pavement.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That would be illegal.
    I bet you'd be pulled for doing 35mph on a cycle lane before you would be on the road.
    Pulled for what? Obeying the law?

The stretch I am talking about is on the N11 dual carriageway, there is no footpath directly alongside it. There is one parallel to it, separated by trees and a small concrete wall. I am not going 35mph on cycletracks with a path full of toddlers beside it wandering around.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes of course. That is why the rediculous law stating that "A cyclist must use a cycle track if it is provided." is so stupid. We are capable of travelling faster than the minimum speed limit required for the motorway. Yet they expect us to use the cycle tracks where pedestrians walk. Utter idiocy.

It's the only road law I regularly and deliberately break because its just not safe to be cycling at those speeds on what's essentially a glorified footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭trellheim

I recently had a holiday in Hamburg. Most paths have a cycle lane and the cyclists have no problem in letting you know you're in a cycle lane [ only takes 10 calling you names in German to make you realize the path is a slightly different colour ]

Worst in Dublin is Talbot Bridge Cycle lane going to the Southside along City Quay ... the people come off Sean O Casey bridge from the IFSC heading for Pearse St and DO NOT look right or left .. the Cycle lane passes beside the lights .. someone will get very badly injured there since cyclists are at some speed in both directions since it's flat and segregated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

trellheim wrote: »
    I recently had a holiday in Hamburg. Most paths have a cycle lane and the cyclists have no problem in letting you know you're in a cycle lane [ only takes 10 calling you names in German to make you realize the path is a slightly different colour ]

Worst in Dublin is Talbot Bridge Cycle lane going to the Southside along City Quay ... the people come off Sean O Casey bridge from the IFSC heading for Pearse St and DO NOT look right or left .. the Cycle lane passes beside the lights .. someone will get very badly injured there since cyclists are at some speed in both directions since it's flat and segregated

i have to put that down to cultural differences. bit stereotypical i know, but stereotypes usually have a bit of truth to them. if you draw a line down a path in germany and say 'cyclists stay on one side, pedestrians on the other, ja?' people are likely to say 'ok, makes sense' and follow the rule. in ireland you're likely to get the response 'what line? ah would ya ever feic off with your lines ya bollix, i'll walk wherever the feic i like and you can't stop me'.

i know the cycle path you're talking about. i stick to the road there, and that's no picnic either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

rubadub wrote: »
    Pulled for what? Obeying the law?
    A Garda could form the opinion that 35mph on a cycle path was either inconsiderate or dangerous.

• Advertisement

i have to put that down to cultural differences. bit stereotypical i know, but stereotypes usually have a bit of truth to them. if you draw a line down a path in germany and say 'cyclists stay on one side, pedestrians on the other, ja?' people are likely to say 'ok, makes sense' and follow the rule. in ireland you're likely to get the response 'what line? ah would ya ever feic off with your lines ya bollix, i'll walk wherever the feic i like and you can't stop me'.

Was in Berlin recently which is fantastic to cycle in. Was surprised to see cyclists up on the footpath, weaving in and out of pedestrians (at reasonable pace) and nobody complained. Footpaths of course are very wide, as are the cycle tracks and the roads. However the population still waited for green men (or trouser-wearing ladies) before crossing the road even when there was obviously no traffic:confused: and I didn't notice any cyclists breaking lights either.

Advertisement