Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Integra DC5 Insurance

Options
  • 25-03-2008 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm tearing my hair out looking for insurance on a 2002 DC5 Honda Integra.

I'm 22
    Full license 5 years
    4 years named driver experience

Can not get a quote off anyone

I've tried Quinn, Britton, Xcess Direct, Hibernian, FBD & can't get any joy from any of them either as main insurer or a named driver.

I know there are people my age driving them but i don't know any of them personally

Where are they insured???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

are you a member of http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php

if not join there and search for irish members and ask them how they got insured, type r's are notoriosly hard to get insured on, i'm 24 and i had awfull trouble getting insured on a dc2 and i had 3 years ncb.

your lack of ncb is whats killing you, you'll never get a decent quote without any ncb under your own name, named experience is practicaly worthless when the words type r are mentioned to an insurance company!!

have you tried the refusals method where you get refusal letters from 3 companies and go back to the first company you asked and they have to insure you, the quote could be anything though

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You have no NCB and you expect to be quoted on an Integra? Sorry if it is bad news, but you've got to be realistic here

Try driving a small engined low risk car like a Micra or a Fiesta with insurance in your own name for 2-3 years and try again after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I agree, forget about the DC5, you would have to be at least 25 before they would even consider you..

Why not go for an EK9 Civic Type R a 00 model? Great car.. good as your 1st performance Honda.. You could even get one with a K-20 Engine transplant, up to 250bhp from a well Tuned model.. and is lighter than the DC-5! :D

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Why not go for an EK9 Civic Type R a 00 model? Great car.. good as your 1st performance Honda.. You could even get one with a K-20 Engine transplant, up to 250bhp from a well Tuned model.. and is lighter than the DC-5! :D

Do you really think he'll get a quote on that? There's not a hope in hell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭JHet

i feel your pain man. Its very frustrating indeed.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

NiSmO wrote: »
    What was your premium?

A new or nearly new 1.4 Golf is a completely different ball game in risk classification compared to a 6 year old Honda Integra

Think librarian / school teacher / junior accountant vs. well, a boy racer :)

Granted your car has 170BHP. I'm quite surprised you got a quote. Who are you insured with and how much is your premium?

Out of interest, I did a quick check on www.123.ie, filled in the details of an 18 year old and I was refused a quote...

unkel wrote: »
    Do you really think he'll get a quote on that? There's not a hope in hell...

Well as the CTR EK9 was never an official import, he would have to insure it as a Civic VTi ... Or just buy a VTi, can be modded up to 185bhp+

As far as having to quote you, not without a fight! I was told point blank that if i changed to a DC5 under my QuinnDirect policy that they would cease cover..

Well as the CTR EK9 was never an official import, he would have to insure it as a Civic VTi

Surely, you are not suggesting that the OP should lie to his insurance company? Just about the most stupid thing anyone could ever do tbh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

thanks very much for the replies lads/ladies... i appreciate the feedback.

i forgot to mention that i am currently insured on a 2.0l peugeot 406 coupe. my premium as a named driver is €650 and with quinn-direct its €690 under my own name (renewal quotes for 2008)

my car is 137bhp... i'm aware that a dc5 integra is around 200bhp (not sure of exact figure)... i'm actually not a boy-racer (although i've nothing against young car enthusiasts as opposed to boy racers) and chose a 406 coupe as i wanted a car that wouldn't attract the attention of every guard in the country... i recently drove a dc5 integra and loved it so as i was thinking of changing my car i was checking to see if i could insure the dc5... i assumed i would get a quote seen as i'm driving a 2.0l coupe as it is.

my other option is a 2.2 hdi 406 coupe

and yes i'm well aware that these 2 cars are the opposite ends of the motoring spectrum

the civic that was offered as an alternative is not an option... i like rare coupe cars and the 406 coupe/dc5 integra's offer a rarity whilst still being affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Integra, which is considered the finest handling fwd car ever built, is an enthusiasts car. Generally driven by those who are not so interested in having a pretty car, but instead a driver's car. No more popular with boy racers, but a lot more capable) than say a 320is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

What about trying www.ryanair.com for a quote?!

@ land9

no mention of car insurance anywhere on the site... appartently (more than open to correction) they took over FBD... who i tried to obtain a quote from and was declined

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Well as the CTR EK9 was never an official import, he would have to insure it as a Civic VTi ... Or just buy a VTi, can be modded up to 185bhp+

As far as having to quote you, not without a fight! I was told point blank that if i changed to a DC5 under my QuinnDirect policy that they would cease cover..

What do you mean its not an official import?Every insurance company has them listed on there system as an EK9 seen as vtis are EK4.

Go to the top right hand corner and make sure Ireland is selected in the drop-down box. It should appear underneath it then.

"Insure Car" should be to the righ of "Ski"

thanks for pointing that out land9 but they still won't quote me

I tried!

Would you consider a new shape accord instead? The petrol 2.0dohc ivtec is a lot of fun and if you go for a type s, you get type r performance in a much more comfortable car! Insurance should be friendlier as well.

like this!

i don't deny the accord is a smashing car but i want to stick with a coupe shape... if the intregra is a no go i'll stick with the 406 coupe... cheers for your help though

Ya can't beat a coupe, unless it's an M5:D

• Advertisement

Surely, you are not suggesting that the OP should lie to his insurance company? Just about the most stupid thing anyone could ever do tbh...

Nope, buts its a chance that a lot of CTR drivers take, im amazed by the amount of them out there without full licences or there own ncb's driving cars with 185bhp+, all of them under 25.. just because there are standard 1.6 official import civics they insure them as that..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

lassykk wrote: »

LOL, they didn't take over FBD!! They're just acting as brokers...........

I put in my car, and got a no-quote too, but also got an email from them asking for more info - engine size, value, etc, and got a quote for Eur410. They asked me if I wanted to proceed with cover, and I said 'sure', and started the rest of the process.

5 minutes after after supplying the word 'Porsche', they changed their minds. ****. They were quite happy to take my money until they heard the brand name, and quoted 'we don't do performance cars...'. So, this is what I wrote back on that.....
    Fair enough, but could I make a suggestion? That your website de-list anything over 2 litres. Maybe even 1.8. I say this as whilst aware of the badge on the front of my 968, and the comments it attracts, it's hard to reconcile the fact that my car is considered 'high performance' whilst my wife's 00 reg 1.8t Audi is 20bhp more powerful..............yet is not considered 'high performance' for insurance purposes............

I think to equate engine size, simplistically, with performance, is an out of date practice, which does not take into account any progress made in engine technology inside the last 30 years.........my 14 yr old 3.0 being approx the same power as current 2.0 Honda, is a case in point.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

eireal wrote: »
    What do you mean its not an official import?Every insurance company has them listed on there system as an EK9 seen as vtis are EK4.

Yea as per my previous point, lads are calling up insurance companies and insuring them as standard 1.6 "Irish" Civics, and not as EK9 Type-R's which were never officially imported into Ireland by Honda..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

btw, got full comp on the 968 from Axa for Eur604.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nope, buts its a chance that a lot of CTR drivers take, im amazed by the amount of them out there without full licences or there own ncb's driving cars with 185bhp+, all of them under 25.. just because there are standard 1.6 official import civics they insure them as that..

Utter madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

Utter madness.

Toyota Glanza Turbo's insured as Starlets etc...

Although insurance companys are copping onto this now, and theres a big risk of not getting a payout if you crash your car...

Utter madness.

+1 and thanks for quoting:

To any gobsh!te driver doing that - have you any idea what will happen to you when you are involved in a crash crippling someone? Obviously not. You'll never drive again. Most of the money you'll ever earn in your life until the day you die and including whatever you inherit will be taken away from you. And those are just some practical outcomes. Add guilt and shame on top of that although that wouldn't probably bother you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I dont mean to sound like an asshole, but how did you afford the golf GT, and that much for insurance?A GT golf is over 30 grand isnt it, a friend of mine bought one new last year, its a very nice car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

have you any idea what will happen to you when you are involved in a crash crippling someone?
    Eh, I think you're living in a fantasy world there unkel. It's because people do get away with this kind of stuff that they continue to do it.

I know a lad that when he was about 20 y.o. drank maybe 6 pints, got into his 2.0 turbo Celica and less than 15 mins later had killed a pedestrian. He left the scene, went home and his father called the gardai. When they arrived the young fella was drinking a brandy to "calm his nerves". He was done for some driving offence that ended up in him losing his licence for 10 years. That's all.

Advertisement