Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rio Named England Captain/England Match Thread

• 25-03-2008 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

Just saw on Sky that Rio Grande has been made England captain.

Not a Chelsea fan, but this seems quite harsh on Mr. Terry. Always strikes me a as a great leader and motivator, whereas Rio is a bit, ...meh.

Maybe Capello is trying to keep the players on their feet?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

meh....England.....who really cares!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rio is having the season of his life though to be fair.

Although having a serial killer beside you does help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Trilla wrote: »
    Rio is having the season of his life though to be fair.

Although having a serial killer beside you does help!

Yeah I definitely think Rio has pulled his socks up, but I put that down to playing with someone as consistent as Vidic.

2-3 years ago I wouldn't have seen him as captain material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

There is going to be a different captain for every friendly, iirc.

Rio though. Doesn't he generally "get on" with everyone.

Also, he has been touted as the next captain of United.

Meh. JT, Stevie G, Rio. I'm sure there are other lads in the squad who'd be "captain material" too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

hopefully he remembers to bring his jaffa cakes to the big night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He should be the United Captain for next season imo. I'll be staying out of this thread, cause while I see Rio as a top class defender who has cut out the laziness and mistakes that were once part of his game while becoming a brilliant defensive organiser (United freaking fall apart at the back without him) and thus a worthy captain; others will always see him as the 'gangsta merked mistake making plonker who doesn't even deserve to be in the england squad'.

I'll freely admit stupidity such as his organisation of the United Christmas party, and that damned merked program don't help, at all, but on the pitch i rate him as the best overall CB in the league and a great leader on the pitch too.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Terry was made the full time captain again when the competitive games come round, I remember reading that Capello would use a few captains to see how each responded.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mr Alan wrote: »
    hopefully he remembers to bring his jaffa cakes to the big night.

I think him and torress finished them just before he was subbed off on sunday, over a nice cup od tea and a chat. Rio put an arm around him and said listen you don't mind that nasty steve bennet booking you, i'm your friend Fernando. Now blow your nose and have a biscuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

lordgoat wrote: »
    I think him and torress finished them just before he was subbed off on sunday, over a nice cup od tea and a chat. Rio put an arm around him and said listen you don't mind that nasty steve bennet booking you, i'm your friend Fernando. Now blow your nose and have a biscuit.

Sounds like you've been thinking about Rio and Nando's little tea party quite a lot.. Quite strange i have to say..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Rio is the future United and England captain imo.

I think he'll be England captain because he personifies what Capello will want from England, skill more than heart. Terry is a great leader, but he is an English player in every sense of the word. Ferdinand is a continential defender. He has been Uniteds captain for the season anyway on the pitch, and look how they are doing.

Also, I think the captain is between Terry and Ferdinand. Why? Because of the others mentioned, I'd say that they are the only ones that Capello has defo decided he will always play.
    The position of the keeper, RB, CM, RW, LW, 2nd Striker are all up for grabs.
    The only other players imo guaranteed their game under England are Rooney and Ashley Cole. Everything else is open, and if you have a captain, you can't drop him, hence why it'll be Ferdinand or Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Probably a good decision. Takes a few of the bigger ego's down a notch and highlights the emphasis on defence that England have been lacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Tauren wrote: »
    I'll be staying out of this thread

You sure about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Maybe its because Rudeboi Rio has connections in the ghetto if stuff turns sour. Innit blad.

Nah, i think its a poor decision, Terry or Gerrard should be captain but again, i dont really care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Id have picked someone else, but who cares, captain is largely honorary tbh. The only bad side about having a permanent captain is that he gets his game no matter what (like, oh, this Tallaght guy on this team I take the odd look at). Apart from that its all egos.

God I hope they lose tomorrow, might take some of the wind out of their sails. I dunno but for me the whole Fabio thing is nothing but hype. Maybe its because the media are already dreaming of 7-0 victories all the way to the 2010 final but tbh Id sooner have Il Trap. Capello proved his Van Basten-like pettyness re his sidelining of Beckham in Madrid (yes, I know there are more opinions and angles on it than there are holes on the moon, but that is mine). I dont predict anything special from England tbh.

Tomorrow Id reckon scoreless draw or 1-0 England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He's a far better choice than Terry or Gerrard. Gerrard has let England down on numerous occasions and at this stage scarcely warrants a place in their starting eleven not to mind be their leader. When he was captain last, against Croatia he went missing completely on a night when he was needed more than ever. If you haven't seen much of Stevie lately you should probably look in Paul Scholes or Anderson's pockets, he's been hiding there since Sunday.:)

As for Terry, he's just a nasty piece of work. Haraunging referees at every turn, mouthing off incessantly at opponens, throwing tantrums with Messrs Drogba and Lampard when things don't go his way. Any man who repeatedly cries like a baby when his team is found out on the football pitch is far from leadership material. He's a classless thug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

shane86 wrote: »
    God I hope they lose tomorrow, might take some of the wind out of their sails. I dunno but for me the whole Fabio thing is nothing but hype. Maybe its because the media are already dreaming of 7-0 victories all the way to the 2010 final but tbh Id sooner have Il Trap. Capello proved his Van Basten-like pettyness re his sidelining of Beckham in Madrid (yes, I know there are more opinions and angles on it than there are holes on the moon, but that is mine). I dont predict anything special from England tbh.

Which is sooo different from the Irish Media and O'Trap :D new era, new hope and all that. Give it a few weeks for the realisation to sink in they are still a glorified bunch of over paid prima donna pansies who have no spirit, soul or pride and normal service will be resumed, both sides of the Irish sea.

I was surprised at Rio getting it, not that I am particularly bothered. I thought Beckham would get honourary captain for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

is Terry really a born leader, or is he just a loud-mouthed aggressive thug? apparently Capello thinks the latter. he was supposedly really really put off by Terry's on field behaviour and his continuous dissent, and would seemingly rather give the captaincy to anyone else, even though Terry is the obvious choice for any manager.

Which is sooo different from the Irish Media and O'Trap :D new era, new hope and all that. Give it a few weeks for the realisation to sink in they are still a glorified bunch of over paid prima donna pansies who have no spirit, soul or pride and normal service will be resumed, both sides of the Irish sea.
    Troll tbh.

Oirland are brilliant, we only did so shít because the last manager wasn't up to it.

The players are feckin' brilliant. OK?

GioTrap is going to make us the best team evar.

DesF wrote: »
    Troll tbh.

Oirland are brilliant, we only did so shít because the last manager wasn't up to it.

ok, I'll let Brazil know not to bother turning up for the next world cup :D

ok, I'll let Brazil know not to bother turning up for the next world cup :D
    Not just Brazil tbh.

England too :)

Not just Brazil tbh.

England too :)

they already know that, but that has nothing to do with Ireland :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

A captain doesn't have to be loud mouthed or agressive he does however have to be determined,passionate and have immense leadership qualities i'm not saying Terry doesn't have these attributes but he does have the first two which are unnecessary in my opioion.

Rio has really matured in the last two seasons and is playing out of his skin week in week out for United and i think he fully deserves the captaincy for the match tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Which is sooo different from the Irish Media and O'Trap :D

tbh the Irish fans and media at this stage merely hope he can secure qualification. The In-ger-land media machine already thinks they are playing Brazil in the final tomorrow having seen off the Argies, zee Germans and anyone else they dont like. The hype over a manager who, as said, has a Van Basten-like record for vendettas and agendas is laughable. Ive a feeling it is Mouhino related. We had Jose, the never smiling cool as ice **** yis all Mediterranean manager, now England gets the same.

Pettyness possibly cost Holland advancement in 06. It possibly will cause England the same in 2010, assuming they make it. If I were English I wouldnt fancy the appointment at all tbh.
    Troll tbh.

Moi?

Just telling it how I think!

By that logic (of the manager not mattering, its all the players) Stan would win the treble if he were managing Man U or Chelsea. Avram Grant has already shown that having a load of pre bought world class players under your command means little if you cnt inspire/man-mage like Jose did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Ferdinand has turned in to a fine leader at the back for Utd the past few seasons.

I think Terry has blown it as an england player, he's never lived up to the Chelsea player we all know.

I don't think he can handle being in a side with bigger characters and voices than his i.e. Rio, Beckham etc..

He's much quieter in an england shirt and not as dominant imo. Confidence thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Exactly agree.

To Shane86, the Irish media are the exact same regarding the Irish team, no different to English imo, sure posters on this board getting all excited about the new Irish era, new hope etc. Watching the Irish media coverage of the Irish team,they are just as bad,Dunphy building up the the Irish players countless times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Terry is a good player, but Ive never bought into the hype that he is one of the best defenders in the world. Struggle to make the top 10 in my opinion. Himself and several other Chelsea players were made to look world class when Makelele was in that defensive midfield position. He broke up so many attacks and his defensive play was world class, which made Terry, Carvalho, even Peter Cech look more formidable. It also meant Lampard never had to track back, whicbh is good as he is an extremely one dimensional player, and for me, Makelele was the key to Lampards world player of the year nomination and indeed Chelsea's success under Mourinho.

shane86 wrote: »
    Moi?
    Missed this earlier.

Nope, not you.

I was gently ribbing Fred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

"His name is Rio, he does drugs and then gets banned...."

England captain? Meh whatever really. It's only an armband really. Sure even Robbie Keane gets one.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's only an armband really.
    :(

And here's me thinking you thought it was an "honour" to captain a side.

Hmph.

:(

And here's me thinking you thought it was an "honour" to captain a side.

Hmph.

It is when you are given it based on your captain qualities. Unfortunately the likes of Keane have made a mockery of the role. I mean come on, Ronaldo was captain for United against Derby. Great player yes, but captain material? Not a chance.

• Advertisement

Exclusive! First pic of Rio as skipper! :D:p -

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii248/Xavi6/Rio.jpg

Discalimer: In no way do I believe Rio is directly linked to this image. It is merely a joke

Missed this earlier.

Nope, not you.

I was gently ribbing Fred.

Troll :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Archimedes wrote: »
    Terry is a good player, but Ive never bought into the hype that he is one of the best defenders in the world. Struggle to make the top 10 in my opinion. Himself and several other Chelsea players were made to look world class when Makelele was in that defensive midfield position. He broke up so many attacks and his defensive play was world class, which made Terry, Carvalho, even Peter Cech look more formidable. It also meant Lampard never had to track back, whicbh is good as he is an extremely one dimensional player, and for me, Makelele was the key to Lampards world player of the year nomination and indeed Chelsea's success under Mourinho.

Not forgetting Real Madrids success while he was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Makelele was the difference between Madrid being one of the most formidable teams to play the game and the Galacticos mentality...

At Real, Makélélé substantially added to his medal tally, winning two Spanish La Liga championships, the UEFA Champions League, the Spanish Super Cup, the European Super Cup, and the Intercontinental Cup (now replaced by the FIFA World Club Championship).

Once he left, they won nothing (or maybe at most 1 trophy) until 2007.

But back on topic, Allez les Bleus. =) (even though they are missing some key players.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

I'm happy for him, he's a good player and having a great season. would be my nomination for Player of the year was it not for the fact that Ronaldo is playing so well.

Terry massively at fault for the France goal. Place gotta be under threat.

Gerrard is utterly ****e, Joe Cole has done nada, and Barry is just out of his depth. Capello still hasn't found something that works for them.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    Capello still hasn't found something that works for them.

solving England's woes in only two games would be an absolute miracle. frankly the England players have been so institutionalized under Sven that it'll be 2010 before we begin to see Capello's England i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

What a boring match.

Maybe, I still personally maintain that you can only play one of Gerrard Lampard or Rooney.
    Gerrard was shocking in the first half, worst I've seen him play in ages.
    Rooney is not a lead the line striker in the classical sense, works for United, but United support him lots. He can't do much either.

What England need is a ginger prince.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

England game was very boring to watch. I've all but given up on international friendlies.

PHB wrote: »
    Maybe, I still personally maintain that you can only play one of Gerrard Lampard or Rooney.
    Gerrard was shocking in the first half, worst I've seen him play in ages.
    Rooney is not a lead the line striker in the classical sense, works for United, but United support him lots. He can't do much either.

Rooney can play with anyone. he can lead a line as good as anyone frankly, it's just all to often the games in which he's been asked to lead the line aren't the time of game where a forwards going to get a lot of service. And when playing for England, all players seem to have a mandatory subtraction in their IQ so they end up playing balls that only the likes of Drogba could latch onto, so if by lead the line striker you mean big strong aerially dominant target man, then no that's not Rooney. neither is Torres, but he can still lead a line pretty damn good, so why should this prevent Rooney?

as for Gerrard and Lampard, there's no real reason why they shouldn't be able to play together, push Gerrard slightly ahead to support the main striker, let Lamps control the midfield distribution. as long as there's a decent holding player behind them. I think the problem lies in their attitudes, they are used to being the key figure for their clubs and having everything go through them, and just can't adapt to just being another cog in the wheel for England. and adding more depth to the problem is that they are so damn good at what they do at club level, it's hard to see who could come in and do a better job instead of them. Barry's probably the best candidate, but he's not looking fantastic either is he? maybe in time.

edit: in some ways, i think Capello should be really brave and leave both out of the next squad. give the rest a chance to step up to the plate. Gerrard and Lamps have consistently failed at international level, so I think it's time to try the rest. the likes of Barry and Co. mightn't be as good as them individually, but i think there's enough variety out there to form a very solid midfield partnership that would perform better than those two as a unit at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I could distinctly hear many of the England 'fans' at the game sarcatically cheer Wes Brown when he was subbed tonight....so they've found themselves another scapegoat:rolleyes:(I never, ever use this smiley but feel it's appropriate here)

Add Wes to the lenghty list that includes Lampard, Hargreaves and P. Neville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Ferdinand deserves it, he has been Englands best defender at both world cups and the Euro, while alot of his team mates have been ****e...

Gerrard has been crap at this level, lampard has been slightly better but still not good enough, Rooney has enough to do , without this handicap and Ashley Cole has a big enough opinion of himself as it is..

Terry is a much inferior defender to Ferdinand so he cant get it either..

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Terry is a much inferior defender to Ferdinand so he cant get it either..

Don't know about that now. Terry is better at defending than Rio definitely.

Don't know about that now. Terry is better at defending than Rio definitely.

How so?

Rio has defended excellently at the highest level and he doesnt lack anything, hes tall, quick, good on the ball, great in the air, good man marker...

How so?

Rio has defended excellently at the highest level and he doesnt lack anything, hes tall, quick, good on the ball, great in the air, good man marker...

Rio is a ball playing centre half more so than your token 'hard as nails' type that the likes of Terry and Vidic are. He has been known to pr*ick around with the ball a bit and that's not a quality I really like in my centre halves or captain. That's why Terry (and Vidic) is a better defender for me.

Have to say I rate Ferdinand higher than John Terry.

The top teams thrive with a World class footballing centre half in their ranks..Utd have Rio, Chelsea have Carvalho.

I think Ferdinand has been the best English player of the last 3 years and is the best defender I've seen anywhere in europe this season....and I watch a lot of football:o

Rio is a ball playing centre half more so than your token 'hard as nails' type that the likes of Terry and Vidic are. He has been known to pr*ick around with the ball a bit and that's not a quality I really like in my centre halves or captain. That's why Terry (and Vidic) is a better defender for me.

I think you like alot of people can't see past his obvious twattyness and the fact he had a few lapses in concentration for Man U a couple of seasons back.. he's f****g brilliant centre back.

Rio Ferdinand is about the only England player who has always played very well for England.

It's something that can't really be argued. Brilliant at both World Cups.

I think you like alot of people can't see past his obvious twattyness and the fact he had a few lapses in concentration for Man U a couple of seasons back.. he's f****g brilliant centre back.

Rio Ferdinand is about the only England player who has always played very well for England.

It's something that can't really be argued. Brilliant at both World Cups.

Well, like anything else, it can be argued. So what if he played well at a World Cup? So did Owen Hargreaves. Should he be in with a shout?

I don't believe in picking a captain based on ability. I prefer leadership qualities in my captain. They don't necessarily need to be the best player on the pitch but they have those qualities that bring out the best in the other players around them. Can't say Rio does that for me whereas the likes of Terry does.

Well, like anything else, it can be argued. So what if he played well at a World Cup? So did Owen Hargreaves. Should he be in with a shout?

I don't believe in picking a captain based on ability. I prefer leadership qualities in my captain. They don't necessarily need to be the best player on the pitch but they have those qualities that bring out the best in the other players around them. Can't say Rio does that for me whereas the likes of Terry does.

Owen Hargreaves come on..

Terry had his chance as captain and England didnt qualify for the Euro's..

What's wrong with Hargreaves? I reckon he'd be a great capt...lead by example and all that...performs consistently well.

Just for the record i wouldn't have Ferdinand, Terry or Gerrard as my captain...any footballer who has ever cried on the pitch over losing a game is not made of the right stuff....i don't remember ever seeeing Keano or Bryan Robson or Souness ever shedding a tear on the pitch. You want these kind of guys as your captain...Hargreaves is closer to that type of mentality than the other 3.

• Advertisement
Advertisement