Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rio Named England Captain/England Match Thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Terry had his chance as captain and England didnt qualify for the Euro's..

And if England don't qualify for the next tournament it'll be the captain's fault then, not the other 30 players who were involved? It was hardly Terry's fault when Robinson had a swing and a miss at a backpass or when Carson f*cked up. Come on now. That's just making scape goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Owen Hargreaves come on..

Terry had his chance as captain and England didnt qualify for the Euro's..

It wasn't the choice of Terry as captain that meant England didn't qualify for the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Xavi6 wrote: »
    And if England don't qualify for the next tournament it'll be the captain's fault then, not the other 30 players who were involved? It was hardly Terry's fault when Robinson had a swing and a miss at a backpass or when Carson f*cked up. Come on now. That's just making scape goats.

So you agree that Terry being able to rise players up , isnt all its made out to be?

I dont rate Terry as being good enough to be England captain, when he is your typical English centre half with no skill, technique, intelligence, composure, pace or class - but likes to get 'stuck in' and will 'run through brick walls' for his team - the foundations of English football and the reason why thye have won f**k all in that period.

I dont rate Terry as being good enough to be England captain, when he is your typical English centre half with no skill, technique, intelligence, composure, pace or class - but likes to get 'stuck in' and will 'run through brick walls' for his team - the foundations of English football and the reason why thye have won f**k all in that period.

Like say, hmmm, Marco Materazzi for example?

Matrix has one of the above and the fact his huge has meant he's been able to get away with it. just:D

So you agree that Terry being able to rise players up , isnt all its made out to be?

So poor management has had nothing to do with it either? England have had 1 maybe 2 of the type of player you have described in their team. IMO they are needed when it's backs to the walls time. Terry is a leader. He hasn't guided Chelsea to two titles by being a sh*t captain.

It certainly hasn't affected other countries to have solid players like that in their team.

France 98 - Blanc
    Italy 06 - Materazzi
    Germany 96 - Kohler
    Greece 04 - Dellas/Dabizas
    Germany 90 - Buchwald

I could go on really.

Matrix has one of the above and the fact his huge has meant he's been able to get away with it. just:D

Which of skill, technique, intelligence, composure, pace or class does Materazzi have that Terry doesn't?

Look im not saying Terry is rubbish, he's not..

Rio is just far better imo and would make a very good captain, as he has never let England down...

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Which of skill, technique, intelligence, composure, pace or class does Materazzi have that Terry doesn't?

Intelligence..

How could you not have guessed? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought the England game was very boring. I'm surprised I managed to get through it all.

I felt Ashley Cole was the worst England player on show. It seemed like every time he went to cross the ball he messed up his cross. I was surprised he lasted the whole game. I think Bridge should have replaced him.

Look im not saying Terry is rubbish, he's not..

Rio is just far better imo and would make a very good captain, as he has never let England down...

Except when he missed that drugs test and got banned and missed a number of games...

Except when he missed that drugs test and got banned and missed a number of games...

Let them down?

Only got 8 months, could have missed the world cup if he went to the test :D

Let them down?

Only got 8 months, could have missed the world cup if he went to the test :D

Meh he let the country and his club down, same way Terry did when he was up for assault.

Look as I said, I don't care really how well a player plays as he's already leading by example. Captaincy should be reserved for leaders. Rio isn't in my mind one of them, no more so than Robbie Keane is for Ireland.

Captaincy should be reserved for leaders. .

Agree, no real reason Rio cant develop into one either...

Anyway back to the match where England done the usual stuff, hollywood balls to no one, cross after cross, "keeping possession" in their own half with only the defenders touching the ball, no passes into the box, no balls through the middle..

Whole plan revolving around giving the ball to Bentley, Downing, Beckham to hit long balls and crosses at every moment...

It was embarrassing again...

Not once did they try and move the ball on the ground and move of it like France did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

It certainly hasn't affected other countries to have solid players like that in their team.

France 98 - Blanc
    Italy 06 - Materazzi
    Germany 96 - Kohler
    Greece 04 - Dellas/Dabizas
    Germany 90 - Buchwald

I could go on really.

Surely Blanc was more of a Ferdinand than a Terry?....beautiful footballer and great on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    England game was very boring to watch. I've all but given up on international friendlies.

England's competitive games are boring, the friendlies make me want to drink battery acid.

The England squad needs a complete and utter shake up, drop a lot of the "Big Club" players who clearly don't give a ****e about playing for their country and bring in a few more of the fringe players who may actually take some pride in wearing the three lions.

I was very disappointed with the squad and the team selection, Capello has changed nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Xavi just has a different idea of defending than me.

Terry\Vidic and Ferdinand have completely different defending styles. Terry/Vidic deal with problems when they can, i.e. last minute amazing diving tackles. Ferdinand has such a great understanding of the game, and has such pace, that those situations rarely if ever happen.
    Ferdinand was defending against Torres last weekend, man on man. How'd he do? Infact, how many defenders really are able to deal with that sort of player, without dropping deep. I'd say Dunne, Carvalho and Toure would be the only ones. Why? They understand and read the game, rather than just dive in for tackles at the last minute.
    There's a reason Terry looks great for Chelsea, but was **** last night for England (he was directly at fault for Anelkas goal, tried to play offside, but ****ed it up), it's because of the system they play. Terry looks good because Makelele does what Ferdinand does, in front of him, so all Terry has to do is the 'heroics', not the clever defending.

Don't get me wrong, Terrys a fantastic defender, just like Vidic, but those sorts of defenders are everywhere, defendings likes Rio, who can make the most attacking team in the league the best defensively, are ****ing gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,430 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Don't be silly PHB, Rio is a plonker, gangsta wannabe who isn't fit to lace the boots of Terry/Dunne/Carragher... he has no leadership qualities at all and is an average defender - its not like he is one of th emain choices for United captaincy or that the defence falls apart when he isn't around, or our midfield is less effective cause the backline don't use them as much... quite cleary Rio is just a fool and all us United fans are deluded, if a defender isn't making 7 last ditch tackles every game, they aren't a real defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tauren wrote: »
    I'll be staying out of this thread

ya big liar.

i dont think many are arguing with his credentials as a player, he is a fantastic player. think its more to do with "missed" drugs tests, driving bans and just general plonkerish behaviour thats left people a little suprised, especially under cappello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'd say the reasons why Capello chose Ferdinand are twofold.
    1) He's been the best defender in the league this year.
    2) Terry's antics against Spurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Pretty sure Capello said that he'd be picking a different captain every friendly and then settling on one for the campaign, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

3) Capello said that he'd be picking a different captain every friendly and then settling on one for the campaign

:p:D

Don't be silly PHB, Rio is a plonker, gangsta wannabe who isn't fit to lace the boots of Terry/Dunne/Carragher... he has no leadership qualities at all and is an average defender - its not like he is one of th emain choices for United captaincy or that the defence falls apart when he isn't around, or our midfield is less effective cause the backline don't use them as much... quite cleary Rio is just a fool and all us United fans are deluded, if a defender isn't making 7 last ditch tackles every game, they aren't a real defender.

Who ever questioned his abilitites as a defender? :confused: Jays talk about taking it to heart.

As I already said, players like Rio already lead by example with their football so no need to give them an armband to emphasise that point. I want my captain to be a presence like Terry.

I never agreed with Keane as Irish captain or Beckham as English captain and I put Rio in the same category. Good player but not a leader in my interpretation of the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

I;m tired today and almost thought that was for real :D

Advertisement