Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letape 2010

Options
  • 25-03-2008 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi all,
    A frend and I have decided to live the dream and do the Letape du tour.....in 2010. A bit out but seeing that I dont own a bike and am lacking fitness, I need to have a realistic target. Anyway, I was hoping someone could advise me on a bike (and equipment). I dont want to win the letape but whatever bike I buy now I would like to be sufficient for the letape (and not have all the other riders falling off their bikes in laughter! :) ) How much would I want to spend on a bike (am I kidding myself if I said 500euro?). Down the line I could invest in proper peddals with clips etc but I assume I could do without that level of equipment at the start. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    By the way, is there much hassle in getting bikes to France??

Best Regards
    Someone trying to relive his childhood (and 1987)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

albob wrote: »
    am I kidding myself if I said 500euro?

yep, pretty much. half of the guys doing l'etape would probably add a zero to that budget, but that's probably a bit excessive.

i share your ambition, but i have yet to pick a year.

i recently bought one of these and think i did well. it would still be at the very low end by the standards of the carbon-fibre brigade though. i'd recommend a compact double or a triple crankset if you're heading to the alps or pyrenees. and get a bike that fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Fair play, nothing like a long term goal to make your achievement a real possibility. A friend of mine did it last year, he said it took a large chunk out of his life - weekends & weeknights training, nights out curtailed etc, but was well worth it. Be prepared to spend long hours on your own (or in this case with your friend) in the saddle in the rain in the mountains, cursing your stupid bravado.
    As for the bike, well the short answer is how long is a piece of string. You might get a second hand one for that sort of money, but new you're looking probably toward 1K, plus the clothing, gadgets (pumps, tubes, tyres, computer, etc etc). shoes and pedals will set you back 120 or so minimum. The catch is that if you buy cheap you buy twice.
    Best of luck, and maybe see you in the hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Most important is the fit. Go to a shop and try a few bikes out and see which ones give the best fit and decide from them.

How much you want to spend is really up to you, but as the others have said, if you buy cheap, you'll buy twice. Try and make sure the components on the bike are decent quality (I would say Ultegra or above for a groupset, if you were going with Shimano). Change the wheels as most stock wheels are not great (even on the higher level bikes). You don't need a carbon fibre frame and I wouldn't get too caught up in how your bike compares to others on L'etape.

One more thing is that it's pretty hard to get a spot on L'etape by yourself, you'll have to go through an agent, the Irish one is here : http://www.onyourbike.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭albob

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, thought my 500e would be a little out alright! :). Still 1000e would be my max...else the person who now owns my wallet may not loosen her grip! Then again, if my life does get so consumed by this as suggested maybe she will be giving me my wallet back :D. (I know I shouldnt joke). I think I will set a 1000e budget so for the bike. As long as it does not crack on the way down a hill I'd be happy.
    Would buying second hand be an option or am I asking for touble?
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 38 skim

only starting out you should look at the cyclesuperstore website it does deals dat gives you basically everything you need for starting out within your price range

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

albob wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, thought my 500e would be a little out alright! :). Still 1000e would be my max...else the person who now owns my wallet may not loosen her grip! Then again, if my life does get so consumed by this as suggested maybe she will be giving me my wallet back :D. (I know I shouldnt joke). I think I will set a 1000e budget so for the bike. As long as it does not crack on the way down a hill I'd be happy.
    Would buying second hand be an option or am I asking for touble?
    Regards

i remember the day i said i spend €700 on a road bike,
    3 years later i think iv spent €5000 on cycling stuff,
    u just never get enough of what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Having done the etape in 2006 (Do a search for the thread under my name), heres my advice... I was much, much weaker on a bike back then so assuming you are of similar level....

Many of the bikes on display at the etape would have a pro rider drooling, but don't let that be a factor for you. There are plenty of lower end machines (by lower end I do not mean 500 euro bikes, I would consider them inadequate for going to the shops on - if you buy something in that price range you will be buying another bike 6 months later I promise you.)

Don't skimp on a bike. Every time I skimp I buy twice as mentioned previously. Buy a decent bike with at least Shimano 105 parts and some decent branded wheels (at worst some basic Mavic Askiums or Fulcrum 5's or similar). You will need to spend more than 1000 unless you buy secondhand and if you buy secondhand you need someone in the know with you. New it will be more like around 1300, theres currently good valye on Ultegra equipped bikes with the Focus Cayo (wiggle.co.uk) or a Planet X. If you skimp, I promise you 100% you will regret it and it will cost you more in the long run. Plus these cheapo bikes usually come with 7, 8 or 9 speed cassettes, if you have a major incident, lose a wheel etc... the neutral service vehicle on the day will only be able to give you a 10 speed wheel which may or may not get you home. Set your budget at 1300, its more realistic and at that price point you get twice the bike you get for 1000 (Generally at 1000 you get a 700 euro bike with a few bells and whistles - at 1300 you get a 2000 euro bike slightly toned down).

Don't bother with the starter kits you pick up. Most of it is rubbish, bottom of the range everything. Functional, but really again you will regret it later when you become more savvy. Don't buy lidl shorts. Get cheapo anything you want from a clothing perspective, but do not try to save on shorts and helmets. For helmets buy something with from Giro, Bell or Met, accept nothing else. With shorts get the best you can afford, I rode the wicklow 200 on a pair of 30 euro shorts and my backside looked like Freddy Krugers face, 4 weeks later the saddle sores had healed just in time for the etape, I rode the etape with 120 euro Assos shorts and used Saddle Cream, much better.. You don't need to go to that extreme but again, brand names, somewhere in the 60 euro category. You will thank me in years to come.

Get a bike with a triple chainset OR get one with a compact 50/34 on the front with a 12-27 on the back. Either of these combos will get you up any hill in the alps with minimum fuss.

Get proper pedals and shoes, the difference is dramatic.

Get your entry in October after the route is announced. Trailseekers in Cork are great, I went with them and can give you the contact details. Failing that onyourbike are decent too, you should contact them in advance and reserve even before the route is announced.

Buy a hardcase to transport your bike. Failing that, several months in advance go to Stagg Cycles, Cyclesuperstore, Wheelworx or somewhere like that and rent one (for about 50-80 euro). Some people have had success with just throwing their bikes in a bag, including a guy I went on a training week in the Canaries with recently, I am not a gambler however after seeing one of the people in my parties 8000 Euro Pinarello Dream machine snapped in half in Geneva airport.

Train in a group when you can, join a local club, there are 8000 riders on the start line, you need to be able to handle yourself. Plus if you can draft, the whole day is a hell of a lot easier. Do distance events in Ireland, they get you used to the sense of occasion, riding in a big bunch etc... e.g. Wicklow 200, Mt Leinster Challenge, theres one a week usually from April onwards.

Finally why wait till 2010. You can do this in 2009. I and others on this board would be glad to help you out with a training program that could get you through this. I did it 12 months after getting on a bike for the first time since I was a teenager (and for 7 of those 12 months I did nothing... so you can do it too).

I could go on all day. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Actually that Cube Streamer Niceonetom got is a decent ride. Its not superlight, but its not too bad. It would do the job nicely for you.... It even comes with perfect gears for the job. That is rare, very, very rare. The Shimano wheels are basic, but they are reliable and roll well, they won't hold you back like some of the other wheels you get on cheaper bikes, some of our boys use those same wheels as winter training wheels due to the fact that they are 1. Cheap so if you smash them into a wall after riding on ice, it won't break the bank. 2, they are tough (see reason number 1 !). 3. They roll well.

My advice, buy it, if you can get it in your size, use the rest of the cash to get a helmet, some Look Keo Classic pedals and bargain shoes (chainreaction are great for those) and you are mostly good to go.

Again thanks for the replies.
    Indeed I had read your account of the 2006 L'etape Quigs Snr. Excellent read and made it all the appealing. I think it is about time I did something to challenge myself!
    Couple of questions:
    -Getting a bike that fits - a lot of the good deals seem to be online. Obviously I dont know my "size" yet. I suppose one option is to go into a bike shop, get them to "fit" me witha bike and then take my size knowledge online. Can any of you recommend a good bike shop where they know their stuff in Cork city?

-Buying online - I assume one then has to put teh bike together. How much hastke is that. I remember when I did have a bike and changing break pads, it was a nightmare reallinging everything!

Thanks

There are many factors with bike sizing and you may have to tweak, or but a longer handlebar stem etc... How tall are you and whats your inseam measurement ?

The bikes come mostly assembled, usually you just have to put on pedals, saddle and tighten the handlebars, its not a bad idea to get used to doing this kind of stuff because you will need to be able to do this to transport your bike to France...

• Advertisement

Just on transporting the bike bit, it might be a nice trip to take the car over on the ferry with bike/family on tow, make a bit of a holiday of it. Certainly if 2 of ye are flying over and back to do the etape it might be even cheaper than flying, but I've never taken the car on the ferry. The best thing would be the knowledge that your beloved bike is not going to be treated badly. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

On a slightly different note just wanted to say that Quigs Snr account of his Etape 2006 experience is absolutely brilliant, it really captures the day itself,very inspiring and lots of great insights. Any one thinking of doing it should read it.Pity i did'nt read it last year when i did the Etape it would have helped a lot.Im doing it again this year and would gladly share any advice if needed,anyway to Quigs Snr i say chapeau.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

Like said earlier do it in 2009.
    I am doing the Etape this year for the first time. Have just over a years cycling under the belt.
    You definitley need to move up to the €1300 bracket as a minimum for the bike. A triple with a 12-27 will climb almost anything.
    In Cork city you can try Victoria cycles or Douglas cycles. I have heard that both are good. Outside the city you could try Hennessys cycles in Fermoy, they will have Treks on display for sure.
    As for Carbon Vs Aluminium , even at €1300 you will struggle to get a good 2nd hand carbon frame. Better to stick with aluminium and get a good groupset.
    Who knows if the bug ready bites you might be able to steal back the wallet and get a carbon bike next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I think i'm going to do it in 2009, as im heading to the US this summer :).
    Did u book it yourself? or are you going with a package deal like
    www.onyourbike.ie looks good, but expensive

I have to agree with what quigs said about the bike, buy a basic one now and you will only end up changing it when the addiction kicks in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

bunnygreen wrote: »
    On a slightly different note just wanted to say that Quigs Snr account of his Etape 2006 experience is absolutely brilliant.

Hear hear, I remember reading that and I thought it was a great account.

Just to follow on on getting a bike size, I am 5 foot 10 (~178cm), with an inside leg of 31inches (~79cm). Can one tell from that what size frame one should get? otherwise anyone know of a bike shop in or near Cork where the sales persons is likely to know what they are talking about.

By the way I dont think taking the bike to France will be an issue. I was thinking of asking the guy in the Kerrygold add if I could throw it into his horse box when he is taking the horse to France :)

It depends on the geometry of the bike itself. In a standard shaped (flat top tube)bike, like the lower range trek you are a 56 or 58 depending on what you prefer (I would go 56, but I like a smaller frame under me so I can throw it around more on the steep stuff). I believe that Lance Armstrong is 5 10 and rides a 58 though because he prefers a larger frame.

On a sloping (like a Giant or Planet X) you are probably a size M (one of our "A" riders is 5' 10 and rides a size M Giant in winter, and I think a 55/56 Look 586 for racing. If you can try it out, thats best.

To answer E@gles question, I think the package is best. It is so handy being picked up with your bike from the airport, being brought to the start, collected at the finish (usually in a different location) etc... it just removes all of those logisitics and means that you only have to worry about riding your bike and then falling asleep in the bus on the way back to your hotel when its over - if you are like me, thats all you will be fit for. I was going to go it alone and was quite far down that path before I realised how much extra stress and organisation that would involve. Packages are expensive but worth it.

I as know little or nothing about bike, I am going to have to bow to those with experience about what is good value and what is not. Looking at the Cube Streamer, it come in two options, a double and a triple. I that the triple would give me some easier gearing options. What are the disadvantages: weight? "width" of chainset? Image?
    I note that the double has the gearing ratios you originally advised. I suppose if I do the training I intend to, the double should be enough for me. Would I regret the triple (I probably will when there is a 15k climb ahead of me in 40'c heat!)
    The double is out of stck and seeing that its a 2007 bike I assume they wont be getting it in again. So I am wondering if the triple is what I want or should I look out for another deal on a double?
    Going to find a bike shop this weekend and try out some sizes etc.

The triple will be a bit heavier is all and for the extra weight you get a much wider range of gears, crucially you will get a good few lower gears compared to the compact, but you will also get some bigger ones too should you decide to power down an alpine descent at 90kph.

I would agree that a triple is the way to go,you will have that wider range of gears to use esp on the climbs,keep a high cadence going and you'll get up any hill.

• Advertisement

Looking through a previous post on the Cuba Steamer, a comment was passed about having to do some assemly work. Adding pedals etc is fine, but mention was made about having to mess with the gear indexing. While I know that is something I will need to learn, I dont want to have my spanking new bike out on the road for the first time and have the gears clanking all over the place. And some people are saying that bike shops will be slow to work on a bike not bought from them....
    So, how hard is it to set up the gear indexing????

it's really very simple, there are some good videos on youtube explaining it.You will need to learn to do it 3-4 weeks in anyway as the cables will stretch, so you might as well learn how to do it from the off.

Fixing up your gears is really really simple.

Would the bike come with all necessary equiement to put on peddles etc or is that another cost?

It depends who you buy the bike off. Some will supply, some won't.

Anyway the pedals will probably use an 8mm allen bolt, you can pick up a decent muilt-tool, which you'll need anyway, for less than 20 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

I'm gearing up (no pun intended) to doing L'etape in 2009. Where will I find Quiggs Snr's etape account online. Tried to google it but had no luck. Can someone give me the address/URL

you can find it here,http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054948014just scroll down the page a bit and its there.

You will find it in
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054948014
    Starts off with him looking for a bike box before the L'etape.

How is the training going yourself? Are you a seasoned cyclist or a chancer like me?

Oh, I was beaten to it.....

Oh and to follow on with my "silly" questions. A lot of the bikes on the sites are pictured without pedals. Do you have to buy them seperate? I note that they generally are not listed in the features either. Gee the cost keeps mounting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

The training is going OK. I used to race a bit when younger but have been off the bike for over 10 years. I'll offically be a VET in September so was looking for a healthy option for my mid life crisis and so have returned to the bike. I started back in mid December. I usually get out 3 times a week. Longest spin so far 62 miles.

I actually shopped in Cycle Super Store in Tallaght. I found them very good. I bought a Lapierre FS200. It's a good frame and finishing kit but crap groupset. Cost €750 without pedals. I reckon I'll 'buy and sell it' soon and upgrade to a better bike but personally I didn't want to shell out a load of money and then leave it sitting in the garage gathering dust. Now that I'm once again enjoying being back on the bike again and using it I'll upgrade soon. I'd reccommend Cycle Super Store though. They spent a good hour with different size bikes making sure the one I bought fitted as best it could for an off the peg bike.

Advertisement