Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW e46 Head Units?

Options
  • 25-03-2008 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Could be having trouble with my head unit - 1 of the 4 channels seem faulty! Auto electrician is checking it out tomorrow.

Does anybody know place to get replacement unit at a reasonable price - thus ruling out BMW! :)

Mine is the professional model with front loading cd

Or does anybody know a decent replacement that won't ruin the dash?

Thanks,
    Keith.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Try www.ebay.co.uk. Are you sure it's not a speaker/connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Ebay? Yeah - even crazy prices there (as in > 400)

Speaker is fine - as I have car kit routed through speakers

Hopefully a loose connection or something - will know for sure later
    Anan1 wrote: »
    Try www.ebay.co.uk. Are you sure it's not a speaker/connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Ebay? Yeah - even crazy prices there (as in > 400)

Speaker is fine - as I have car kit routed through speakers

What way is your car kit connected into the speakers?? this could well be your problem...

I bought my E46 CD head unit from the US, cost me about €90 including shipping 2 years ago.... i just had to change the region on it, which i was able to do by holding down certain buttons... has worked great ever since... .

I presume its a CD player, if its a tape player i have an E46 Tape player around some where if your interested.....

I have a Sony Eriksson Mute Cable - between head unit and speakers
    Kit is fine - auto electrician is going to test channel output from stereo to see if 1 of the channels is gone

Yeah the one I have is the CD head unit - Can you remember the name of the site by any chance?
    What way is your car kit connected into the speakers?? this could well be your problem...

I bought my E46 CD head unit from the US, cost me about €90 including shipping 2 years ago.... i just had to change the region on it, which i was able to do by holding down certain buttons... has worked great ever since... .

I presume its a CD player, if its a tape player i have an E46 Tape player around some where if your interested.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭jame5_b

• Advertisement

Yeah could be an option - still expensive though - when condition is "used"

Thanks for the link though!!!
    jame5_b wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

Most likely a speaker issue as head units normally cut power to all outputs when faults arrise and with BMW speakers being so poor they are the weakest points on the system.

Speaker is ok - as car kit is routed through the front 2 speakers - and sound is fine.

Hopefully just a loose wire somewhere!
    Most likely a speaker issue as head units normally cut power to all outputs when faults arrise and with BMW speakers being so poor they are the weakest points on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

http://www.europeanautosource.com/index.php?cPath=67_69_140_143

These guys are good and the weak dollar makes it sweeter but bear in mind you may be caught for taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,097 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i got a used one from ebay for 150, it should be perfect, how much damage can be done to a HU?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭SecureSounds

Speaker is ok - as car kit is routed through the front 2 speakers - and sound is fine.

Hopefully just a loose wire somewhere!

Your phone kit is putting calls through the speaker rather than music, does it mostly cut off, distort,output noise with bassy tracks ?

With the head unit output - there is absolutely no sound from it! I have isolated the sound using balance and front/back fade

If it output sound from the car kit - the particular speaker does indeed work
    Your phone kit is putting calls through the speaker rather than music, does it mostly cut off, distort,output noise with bassy tracks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

With the head unit output - there is absolutely no sound from it! I have isolated the sound using balance and front/back fade

If it output sound from the car kit - the particular speaker does indeed work

Have you tried unplugging your car-kit adapter, and just re-instating the system as it should be?? not sure how easy this would be for you to try, might just be a matter of changing over a few connectors...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Advertisement