Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems creating DVD with Premiere Pro

• 25-03-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭

A while ago I got some old home movies transferred to mini-DV tapes with the intention of editing them to produce a DVD for the family. The whole editing thing is now (thankfully!) out of the way, and I've now got to the stage of transferring everything to DVD.

Did the whole File -> Export -> Export to DVD ... thing and everything seemed to go well until I watched the result. It's fine when the scene remains still, but as soon as there's any horizontal panning going on (and there's a lot of that .. my father-in-law was a lousy cameraman!), the picture gets really jittery and breaks out in shimmering horizontal stripes.

If instead, I go to Adobe Media Encoder and choose to output to a Generic MPEG2 file, or pretty much any other kind of video format, everything is fine, but as soon as I choose the MPEG2-DVD option I get the aforementioned stripes.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Sounds like a video interlacing problem. First off, what version of premier pro are you usings? i presume you have it set up as a pal-dv project and likewise when you export to dvd you are selecting pal 25fps lower field first...?

Also when you are testing the mpeg2-dvd files are you burning to dvd and testing on a standalone dvd player or through your computer...? if on your computer, make it into a dvd and test on a standalone player. Interlaced footage will look jagged on a progressive monitor whenever there is movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,484 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's Premiere Pro 2.0.

Yes, it's set up as a DV PAL project, and when I do the export it's PAL 25fps lower file first which also seems to be the default.

I actually generated an ISO image and I've tried both playing the result directly on my PC, and burning a physical DVD from the ISO image and playing that on my DVD player, but have the effect described in both cases.

One thing that I think I did do, and I have to admit I didn't really know what I was doing, was to select the "Deinterlace" option on the Output tab in the Export window. Could that have been the problem?

Advertisement