Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crank bolt removal (fixed project bike)

Options
  • 25-03-2008 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm trying to remove the crank bolt on my fixed gear conversion project, but none of my sockets appear to fit. It looks like it's a 14/15mm bolt, and I've tried both size sockets, but it's recessed in such a way that I can't get proper purchase on it with the socket wrench-the outer edge of the socket appears to hit the encasing crank-arm. I've enclosed a pic- grateful for any suggestions.

2361575350_ae4c00588a.jpg

2361575342_b5182be61f.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Might be just a case that your socket body is two thick or not deep enough. IF your in the Dublin area your more than welcome to give me a shout and try some of my ones.
    Cubix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

A specific tool for the job, like this should fit as the walls are thin enough to get into the opening. The Park Tool one is excellent but they are available in a variety of brands and any decent bike shop should have some version of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Try a 'box' spanner - You'll get a set of 'em in Hellfrauds for small enough money.... Should do the trick.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 38 skim

file down the socket so that it,ll fit should work although a normal socket should fit unless your using impact sockets which are really thick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

skim wrote: »
    file down the socket so that it,ll fit should work although a normal socket should fit unless your using impact sockets which are really thick

14mm deep socket, happy days, in whatever drive you like.
    filing a socket is 1)going to wreck a good tool. 2)going to take all feckin day

e4 max for a socket. any tool shop or halfords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Cheers all.

I actually have some deep sockets but the walls on them are too thick too. I had a look in Cyclelogical for a crank bolt tool like the Park one, but they only had those crank puller tools.

Anyway, I bought a 5 euro box spanner in Mc Quillan's at lunchtime, and gave it a try but I need a bigger screwdriver to get enough leverage on the bolt, the thing wasn't budging with the small screwdriver I had on me. It's pretty rusty, hoping it's not seized- I'll have another bash shortly with a bigger screwdriver for better leverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

lukester wrote: »
    Cheers all.

I actually have some deep sockets but the walls on them are too thick too. I had a look in Cyclelogical for a crank bolt tool like the Park one, but they only had those crank puller tools.

Anyway, I bought a 5 euro box spanner in Mc Quillan's at lunchtime, and gave it a try but I need a bigger screwdriver to get enough leverage on the bolt, the thing wasn't budging with the small screwdriver I had on me. It's pretty rusty, hoping it's not seized- I'll have another bash shortly with a bigger screwdriver for better leverage.

soak it in penetrating oil for a hour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

lukester wrote: »

Some of the mini crank extractor tools (the ones without a handle attached) have a 14mm socket on one end which you use with a standard spanner. They love to fall out at the wrong time and leave your knuckles skewered on the chainrings as a result, but they do work. They also give you a crank extractor/puller on the other end and you'll need one of those to remove your cranks too, if you don't have one already (if you are buying one of these ones, go for a good one such as the Park Tool version, as cheaper ones tend to be made of poorer quality metal and can the threads can bind badly when you are swinging out of them - can't see the Park Tool version on their website though so maybe they don't sell that version any longer).

I think that Cycleways, on Parnell Street, stock Park Tool tools too, or equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Thanks for the tips.

Well, managed to get it off with the extra leverage, but I do now need to buy a crank puller tool. I'll try Cycleways/Cyclelogical- I know the latter have a cheap one for a tenner, not sure if they have a Park one, although they had a few Park tools the last time I was in.

I've spent 50 euro on tools alone so far. Ah well, I'll be using them again.

This was supposed to be a budget project- still need to source a fixed rear wheel (looking at the Goldtec track hub built up from betd.co.uk), sprocket/lockring, chain and chainring. Hopefully the axle length of my existing BB will give me a decent chainline. S'pose it's fairly cheap, mostly clean, fun. :)

Advertisement