Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stop Signs

Options
  • 25-03-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

Went out for a pretest today and my instructor told me that at stop signs you must apply the handbrake?

never heard of this before?
    He also told me that you put the car into neutral and then apply the handbrake? Is it not the other way around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

yeah that seems very odd, you must stop but i'm almost certain the handbrake isn't essential unless on a hill or waiting for prolonged periods of time. I guess you could but, i'd be thinking you'd be marked down for lack of progress if the road you were entering was clear and you stopped, neutral, handbrake, first gear and go. And it's 100% definitely handbrake neutral, it sounds to me like you need a new instructor if that's the advice he's giving you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Ricky Roma

new instructor ...Next

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I have another pre-test booked with him but I might give another instructor a whirl. If anyone has a good instructor in the D15 area please pm me!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

A lot of instructors recommend that you put the handbrake on at a stop sign so that there can be no doubt that you have reached a complete stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

I cannot get used to applying handbrake first and then neutral, I have gotten into bad habit of other way. Instructor always give out but still cant remember so yes it is definelty handbrake first and then neutral!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

aniascor wrote: »
    A lot of instructors recommend that you put the handbrake on at a stop sign so that there can be no doubt that you have reached a complete stop.

+1, it shows that you have definitly came to complete stop. I done it this way in the test anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 higgins147

I suppose some stop signs are placed on T junctions and your moving onto a major road. If you're stopped and there's heavy traffic its best to use the handbrake, a car hitting you from behind won't push you out into oncomming traffic ! that could be tragic :eek:

Otherwise no I've never heard any difference between a foot and a handbrake stop, just once you're stopped.

and its handbrake then neutral

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Featherl wrote: »
    I cannot get used to applying handbrake first and then neutral, I have gotten into bad habit of other way. Instructor always give out but still cant remember so yes it is definelty handbrake first and then neutral!
    thats exactly whats catching me :) good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If you're stopped for more than a few seconds you should really apply the handbrake. It's good driving practice and I think it's something they check in the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

higgins147 wrote: »
    Otherwise no I've never heard any difference between a foot and a handbrake stop, just once you're stopped.

Two differences that spring immediately to mind:

- You never use the handbrake to stop, except in an emergency.
    - You can't slip off an engaged handbrake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭prodigal_son

This is just a tip to make life easier for you on the test, I have come to complete stops before, but have had the optical illusion of movement, quite bizare and it can happen anyone anytime.

By putting the handbrake on, you have shown that you are at a complete stop, and you can not be marked down.

Just put the handbrake on, look left right quickly and start releasing it (dont use it to brake though), Its not needed, but there will be no doubt for the instructor.

At a stop sign, there will be no need to put it into neutral, you can leave it in gear.

As for getting the handbrake on before putting it in neutral, Just practice it over and over, you will get used to it. You dont need to be driving to practice it (can practice it over and over while stationary), you dont even need to be in the car, just keep going through the process in your head over and over...

handbrake on, out of gear, its the right order for things to happen..

Advertisement