Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Ka

Options
  • 25-03-2008 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Just a quick one, the o/h is considering a 00 one of these. Won't be doing a whole lot of driving probably under 5,000 miles a year, anything I should be aware of? or any horror stories or recommendations?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try and get one with power steering, makes parking that much easier. 1.3 litre engine is old but is generally easy and cheap to fix. Interior is pretty basic but functional, rear leg room is pretty tight but it is a city car after all. Ka is based on the old Fiesta so servicing and parts are pretty cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

<5k a year. Isn't tiny mileage a good justification for buying a better car rahter than one where it might not even have p/s

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Opel/Omega/2.0-XEV/974720/

She'll love the auto box and leahter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

There was a thread earlier this month about Kas: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055248772

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Whoops. Didn't spot the earlier thread. Just my tuppence worth - avoid. Fun car to drive but dodgy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I never really liked them to look at, and at the price range the 2000 models seem to go at, you could pick up a fiesta for similar money, and probably with the 1.25zetec, much better engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Weaselator

Cheers for that lads, didn't see the earlier thread, did a search but didn't find it. I'll have a look thru that one.

As for cantdecide, thanks for the suggestion mate but doubt it'd suit! :D
    I never really liked them to look at, and at the price range the 2000 models seem to go at, you could pick up a fiesta for similar money, and probably with the 1.25zetec, much better engine.
    Good shout, open to other suggestion too guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 littlenibbles

Check out carzone there's a few with decent mileage NCT etc

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

Cracking drive, 1.3 is torquey enough around town.

Watch for irregular servicing IIRC, the plugs can rust into the block.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

klaus23 wrote: »
    Cracking drive, 1.3 is torquey enough around town.

Yeah it's grand around town. Not so great overtaking on single carriageways though - you need a good long straight! Any 1.0 OHC engine is going to have similar trouble in this field though, and a Ka is like 200kg lighter than a Fiesta so shouldn't be as bad as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

+1

Tis a cracking little engine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

If you do decide to go for one, keep an ear out for the tick-tick sound of the tappets. That was a problem with older Kas.

Advertisement