Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment buying, legal question

Options
  • 25-03-2008 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i'm buying an appartment, it's the top appartment in a three storey block? just wondering who owns the attic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'd say that you do, but you should check the contract documents.

I live in the top floor unit of my building, and the attic is mine to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Homer J Simpson

Hi,

I had a top floor apartment before and according to my solicitor I could use it for storage but could not convert it into living accomodation.

It would be best to ask your solicitor for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I recently had the same conversation with our own solicitor. His answer was that it's not common to sell the attic space as well, or that it is often sold at a extra premium. He also said that while I may be able to use the space, it's not really mine. His answer was check what the lease says. More than likely you don't own it. In fact all I own, according to him, is the shell of the inside of the apartment i.e. the inside of ceiling, walls and floor. Everything else more than likely belongs to the management company, under "common areas".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,988 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jfcdougal wrote: »
    i'm buying an appartment, it's the top appartment in a three storey block? just wondering who owns the attic?

Is the attic just above your apartment or is it open to the whole block? If only over your apartment then you can use it for storage but don't own it, a bit like balconies. You won't be able to convert it for living, but flooring and lighting shouldn't be an issue.

You only own the open the air space inside the apartment as is_that_so said, everything else belongs to the MC.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

I phave a penthouse with an attic space. Story in the contracts is that I have exclusive access to the space, but do not own it. (Same point as Del is making).

On the plus side - if you did own the attic then would that make you liable for roof leaks etc? ....personally I like the idea of that being the management companies problem.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement