Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derelict Property - How do I find the owner?

Options
  • 25-03-2008 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Taking a walk over the weekend I noticed that one of the neighbouring houses has been boarded up. It has been like this for a good while now. Allegedly there was previously some tramps and homeless living there who set a fire inside and they were promptly moved on. So subsequently it has been boarded up. It's in a rather exclusive area in Dublin where rent is not cheap. I'm renting a place down the road and i can testify to that.

It, in my own opinion, would represent a great investment opportunity. I'd say the inside of it is wrecked and would require extensive work. It would need to be gutted.

My questions are ...why would someone leave a place in such a prime area decay so and fast?.........I asked a lad here in work who said that there is probably a preservation order on the georgian facade and if they leave it decay they might then be able ot knock it down. It would seem hard to justify as I reckon you'd be able to pull in 3 grand a month for the place rent wise.

Secondly .... how would I find out who owns the place such that I might make enquiries? I believe i can contact the Land Registery but that can cost 600 euros. Any help would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The local council may have it on their list of derelict properties. Owners of such have to pay an annual charge.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Or the Land Registry or Registry of Deeds.

You can use Law Searchers to find this information out for you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

try www.landdirect.ie - the property registration authority website. You will have to open an account but once that is done you can get land reg info for €2.50 per folio. This will give landowner details as well as landholding size. You will be unable to view a folio however if an application is pending i.e. possible ownership dispute, current planning application on the site etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If you pm me the address I can check Thom's Directory for nothing. It's probably derelict because of a dispute over ownership. if people die without leaving a will (intestate) this can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭giardiniera

The Thoms Directory is a good place to start. property in dublin doesn't have to be transfered from registry of deeds to land reg so even if you check land reg it might not be there. The national library has all the old thom's directory's and the ilac library holds the latest ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement