Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA Dublin

• 25-03-2008 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Does anyone know if that is the new IKEA they are building along side the M50 south after the ballymun on ramp??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

beebaw wrote: »
    Does anyone know if that is the new IKEA they are building along side the M50 south after the ballymun on ramp??

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭beebaw

mmmm interesting looks like the sides of the steel frame are being put on it but it is nothing compared to th one up in belfast in size. thought they would have put a sign up by now too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

was in the IKEA in Helsinki last week. fcuk its like a small town and has restaurants etc in it. nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jkgvfg

As far as I can see searching the Net, they are planning to open in Feb 09. They have started recruiting now for 40 managers (I'ld love that job for a year!) but hopes that they would get the M50 phase 2 completed between M1/M50 and Blanch by Sept now seem to be tempered to next Feb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

If I recall, one of the conditions of their planning permission was that they couldn't open until the M50 upgrade works were complete (possibly early next year).

Also there was a restriction on their opening hours so all the bargain hunters don't add to the normal rush hour mayhem. Which surely shouldn't be a problem with the super M50 works? (Sarcastic, moi? :rolleyes:)

I think it's that they couldn't open before 10am - but it's the same in Belfast. The main shop doesn't open until 10, but the Café opens at 9.30 as a loophole to get people in early anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Sting for them. Worst time ever to be opening a furniture store.

Actually no. Sting for their competitors. Ikea will take all remaining business in this struggling market.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

If I recall, one of the conditions of their planning permission was that they couldn't open until the M50 upgrade works were complete (possibly early next year).
    But the Phase 2 works aren't due to be delivered until 2010? Or maybe the N3-M1 section is gonna be early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

beebaw wrote: »
    thought they would have put a sign up by now too..
    There are signs for it on Balbutcher Lane which is the nearest accessible public road to the site. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

"Balbutcher Lane"...............such an unfortunate street name for the residents of Ballymun :p

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭beebaw

i see they have now launched their irish website with build info in ballymun. www.ikea.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Dub in Louth

In relation to the size of IKEA Dublin, it will be 30000, where as Belfast is 29000 sq feet. So it will be comparable with Belfast. I was up there at the weekend and it is huge. And Cheap. You can get a single bedframe for 20 pounds. what a bargain. I for one cant wait for it to open next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

the weird thing is that the big open space near the m50 was used by king james in 1692 as a camp for his army before they set off north to block william of orange at he Boyne. Hmmm, I wonder if there's any archeology on the site?

Advertisement