Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike shipping question

Options
  • 25-03-2008 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a bike back from Peterborugh/UK. Checked online with Royal mail and seemed reasonable enough when I put the weight in £38 but as soon as I put in the dimensions it shot up to about £180. So was wondering if anyone on here ever shipped a bike back from the uk and if so how. Was thinking of flying over but no one seems to fly into or near Peterborough and would probably get wacked with extra charges for the bike on the way back

Thanks Cubix

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Is this from a shop? Evans Cycles send them with a courier and it's only £25 a bike, same for Wiggle I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

No its from a private sale. I am definitly doing something wrong on the royal mail site, might shoot off a mail to Evans and see who they use

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 johnf_1540

not sure if this is an option but you can carry a bike as sports equipment on most flights. think it's around €45 one way.. i have done this a few times with ryanair, and the bike came through perfect (with a bit of packing and padding)

Cant seem to find anyone flying close to peterborough John but thanks anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

cubix wrote: »
    I put the weight in £38 but as soon as I put in the dimensions it shot up to about £180.
    Where did you get the dimensions? shipping is charged on whatever is biggest, volume or weight. If you put in dims of an assembled bike it will be a lot more. I have got several bikes online, max I paid was ~€30 or €35 from the UK. I was in its original packing box which is small. I have used DHL and parcelforce.

Maybe the guy could get a box and take at least the wheels off. Mine all come with the handlebars off, if you put a full bike in a box it is probably 5+ times the volume, think about it, the handlebars are taking up massive volume to the left and right

fold_sm_wheels_small2.jpg

• Advertisement

Your probably spot on, might try this route;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just bumping incase you missed the pic I added, you can see how small it can get, and it the handlebars are take off or even loosened and twisted it gets even smaller. That bike is folding at the back, but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I was going to suggest the ferry and drive, but jaysus the ferry is expensive.

The folding bit is wacky. As regard driving Verb it would be more so a time thing for me but thanks anyways

Advertisement