Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where and when did you have your 1st pint?

Options
  • 25-03-2008 5:21pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Where and when did you have your 1st pint?
    I ask this question as i think underage drinking was far higher in the 80's.
    My older brother brought me to my 1st pub to celebrate my 15th birthday. It was the ivy rooms on parnell street in 1985. Within the remaining 3years of underage drinking my friends and i discovered many pubs that would serve us without a 2nd look. Bruxells,bartley dunnes,suffolk lounge,19th o'connell,abbraxes,I could go on and on.
    This isn't a moralizing thread. Right or wrong and honestly...How old and where did you have your 1st pint out with friends(no parents) in a pub?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I would have been 16 and it was in fibbers in parnell street. was full of underage back then. never really had a problem in Bruxells or a good few other places either at 16 / 17. Granted we did make sure to get in before 7pm just incase a bouncer asked for id. (they use to come on at 7pm back then / was also free in before 7pm :p ). That would have been back in 96/97.

Off licences - I'd be embarrassed to tell you how young I was when I first got served. Lets just say things were a lot different even as recently as the 90's.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Mine as mentioned was the Ivy rooms which became Fibbers! Good spot on northside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

May well have been in my beloved Bartley Dunnes.

The site is now occupied by the force of evil that is Break for the Border.

Bartleys was brilliant. Tank up in the chinaman and off to barts. Great mix of crowd for it's day. Gay,straight,trannys and fannys. Shining light in the darker mid 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

The International Bar on Wicklow Street. The bar downstairs was easy as hell to get served in at 15 years old. Four of us printed our own id's on my mates computer, they were student ids for a college that doesn't exist, the barman barely even looked at them and just left us to get hammered on cider in a corner booth every week, sometimes we were even in our school uniforms :D

This wasn't even in the nineties, it was after 2000

• Advertisement

Get on the good jug Ores! That place was doing it without the fake i.d 25year ago too. An institution. Fueller of the flying kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Must have been about 15/16

I remember myself and best mate used to go on the mitch from school,...
    we'd head into the Foggy Dew to while away a few hours..
    IN FULL SCHOOL UNIFORM.........(true story)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hrmm - it was either Chaplins across from pearse st. garda station, the rathmines inn, or the tuning fork in rathfarnham. Back around when i was 15/16. I was 15 in 2001 to put that in context.

çrash_000 wrote: »
    Hrmm - it was either Chaplins across from pearse st. garda station, the rathmines inn, or the tuning fork in rathfarnham. Back around when i was 15/16. I was 15 in 2001 to put that in context.
    Was it a pub crawl and therefore can't recall where it started and ended?And how long did it go on for 15/16? Was it the eve of your 16th birthday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

My first pint in a pub was in Heroes Bar in Greystones. Think I was 16. Long gone at this stage. It was a real underage place. I actually remember sitting at the bar on more than one occasion, in my school uniform, drinking a Jack Daniels with ice.

Happy days..

EDIT: Just realised this is the Dublin forum.. oh well, Greystones is practically Dublin these days ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

The South William (not the new one), where Cafe Moka is now, aged 13. The William Tell, Bruxelles, Fibbers and Charlies on Aungier St were all also pretty lax spots.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

At age 17, in 1980, in McGovern's (now Quinn's).

spurious wrote: »
    At age 17, in 1980, in McGovern's (now Quinn's).
    Perfect answer.
    The thread kinda needs definite place,year and how old in order to get an idea on how the cities changed (or not).
    Less of the "maybe it was here about then when i was....still trying to be cool"
    Clear facts and a good anecdote occasionally.

Or you'll be told to "get off the ramp"as the bouncers in la mirage would say if you weren't coming in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

humberklog wrote: »
    Perfect answer.
    The thread kinda needs definite place,year and how old in order to get an idea on how the cities changed (or not).
    Less of the "maybe it was here about then when i was....still trying to be cool"
    Clear facts and a good anecdote occasionally.

Is there a particular font that the answers should be in?

The thread's not font sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

Fibbers in Parnell St, back in 1996 when I was 17.
    I know it's been said before!
    All under-agers without (good) fake id's would have to get in before the bouncers came on the door at 7pm. Happy times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

The ever wonderful Donaghmede Inn, at the age of 17. A wodius pint of Smithwicks Shandy!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

The Parliament Inn, Parliament St ,now known as The Turks Head,
    Aged 15 in 1980.

Me, Ozzie and the Ferret Finnegan celebrating Ozzies' group cert results. 3 pints of Smithwicks each, followed by three vodkas and mi-wadi. IIRC the pints were 58p, can't remember what the 10 Major cost..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

it was the year of my junior cert in 1999 when I was about 15. We got a half-day on Wednesdays and myself and a pal wandered down to Sean O'Casey's on Marlborough street or around there. It wasn't actually a pint, I only had about 2 pound on me so I got a "glass" of Guinness. Knocked it back fairly quick and left soon after. Never really drank in there since, seemed like a rough but old crowd. Used to drink fairly often from then on around the pubs around that area, just wandering in for a pint or two in school uniform on the days I didn't have training. Good times. I wasn't a particularly old looking 15 year old either, got laughed out of a few spots by barmen saying no kids! Sackville lounge for one :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Umm.... I think it would have been in Bruxelles. Probably about 6 or so years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm a bit sketchy on the exact first pint but I think it's one of two. Either in The Bridge on Westmoreland Street when I mitched off a school play with a mate or in one of my locals The Lodge (now Kavanagh's) in Laurel Lodge, D 15. Aged 16 or so c. 2001. I'm ashamed to say that it was definitely a pint of cider too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

The Buttery Bar, Trinity College, October 1985. Basically within a week of starting college. I'd just turned 17.

1-and-a-half pints of Smithwicks. Got well pissed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ericl

The Oval first place i had a drink with mates, across to the 19 o'Connell for the third, Staggering like S hooks into Abbraxes to pay £1.25 for a half pint off Stiger from a can, 2.50 for a pint. Think it was 5 quid for a bottle of wine.
    Think that was about 1987~88.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

First Dublin pint was in the Big Tree on Dorset st around 1984. Think I was 17 at the time. Right rough kip it was back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Mulligans in Poolbeg Street... I was 14 and have been going back there ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Mine was aged 16 in 1995, downstairs in The Flowing Tide on Abbey St. Then around the corner to Sean O'Caseys off-licence for a 6 pack later. Ah the memories! :)

EDIT: Baring in mind, I lived in Sutton but the trek into town was worthwhile!

ericl wrote: »
    The Oval first place i had a drink with mates, across to the 19 o'Connell for the third, Staggering like S hooks into Abbraxes to pay £1.25 for a half pint off Stiger from a can, 2.50 for a pint. Think it was 5 quid for a bottle of wine.
    Think that was about 1987~88.
    Good recollection. As far as i remember the oval created a disco upstairs that about 86 with the soul purpose of underage drinking. It wasn't bad. Abraxes was if i'm right owned by pakistanis. Could that be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

in 2002 aged 16 in the hitchin post, leixlip.was a very well known pub on the old dublin road before the days of the M4.had loads of showbands in its day.on saturdays though they had a disco.i got an id on the internet for a tenner and worked everytime........its now a lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

The Dugg Inn in Bray, when i was 16/17 many, many years ago.

The Pub is now gone and has been replaced with the equally skanky Katie Gallaghers.

Advertisement