Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where and when did you have your 1st pint?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

The grave diggers in Glasnevin, I was 16 and worked just around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

boneless wrote: »
    Mulligans in Poolbeg Street... I was 14 and have been going back there ever since.

Well, you started with the best.

My first was either in the Daniel O’Connell or the pub opposite the Abbey (not The Flowing Tide) I think it was called The Harp. 1994

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ciaran B wrote: »
    Well, you started with the best.

My first was either in the Daniel O’Connell or the pub opposite the Abbey (not The Flowing Tide) I think it was called The Harp. 1994
    The plough and briefly before it shut it was the firestone. Big underage spot in it's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Faughs GAA club, about 5 months before my 18th birthday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

First pub was downstairs in international bar when i was 16-1998,still to this day when i go in the barman remembers me! He must think i'm aging very well!

But its amazing how easily i could buy drink in a particulat off license at 15 in drumcondra-never asked for id and didnt look older than i was...

Was always amazed at amount of people that would also go into off license for me and my friends when we were 15-16,now 25 and i would never ever do this for someone underage incase something happened them while drunk!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭SnoozyS

df1985 wrote: »
    in 2002 aged 16 in the hitchin post, leixlip.was a very well known pub on the old dublin road before the days of the M4.had loads of showbands in its day.on saturdays though they had a disco.i got an id on the internet for a tenner and worked everytime........its now a lidl.

first pint was at the tender age of 15 in the international. but i remember the hitcher days well :) we used fake dit id's where every1's second name was Anne and they still never copped it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Hmmm... cant remember the exact first pint, would have been late 16 or early 17's and it would been either in the pool room in the blackchurch inn (hiding round the corner and ordering pints through the hatch) or else in the GAA club in Kill. I remember my first pint in town though it was definately in Fibbers, with a fake USIT card. First nightclub ever in.... Regines also in Kill. After that it was called the Matrix, and i think its closed down now. Was a mad spot, they only had a nightclub license provided they served food. So you used to pay in and you had to have a curry(free).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

flanzer wrote: »
    Mine was aged 16 in 1995, downstairs in The Flowing Tide on Abbey St
    The Flowing Tide is it's modern name.

Top marks to anyone who knows it's former name! ;)

Denis Hayes bar. When the liffey would burst it's banks the water often reached as far as Denis Hayes' bar so when he was redoing it circa 1946 he had the lovely stained glass windows installed and a change of name. The new name matched the pub next door which was called then called The Full Tide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

great bit of trivia there lads. nice. used to drink in the flowing tide/Neptune lounge all the time. Never any birds in it so don't bother much any more.

• Advertisement

great bit of trivia there lads. nice. used to drink in the flowing tide/Neptune lounge all the time. Never any birds in it so don't bother much any more.
    Still not many birds even these days although there is a gamey english bird(laura)behind the taps.Foul mouthed and sexy.Beth lynch in early years. They've comedty on friday nights too And saying that i pulled in there before xmas with a set designer in the abbey. Only went in for a toasty and pint. She smoked all my smoke,drank all my wine and then she left with a handful of cds next morning. Bargain.

humberklog wrote: »
    Denis Hayes bar. When the liffey would burst it's banks the water often reached as far as Denis Hayes' bar so when he was redoing it circa 1946 he had the lovely stained glass windows installed and a change of name. The new name matched the pub next door which was called then called The Full Tide.
    Indeed! Blue Peter badge on the way! :)

Anyone ever drink in The Honey Pot in Gardiner Street? It's long gone and wasn't for the fainthearted! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

SnoozyS wrote: »
    first pint was at the tender age of 15 in the international. but i remember the hitcher days well :) we used fake dit id's where every1's second name was Anne and they still never copped it :pac:

the bouncers there didnt give a ****e and knew well everyone was underage.my mate got in with a library card that didnt even have a picture!

Anyone ever drink in The Honey Pot in Gardiner Street? It's long gone and wasn't for the fainthearted! :eek:
    Oooh now yer talking. I was at a busman's birthday party years ago. I'm not one but that was an occasional haunt for them. You can still get a bit of that solid boozer type in The Maid(Or the confessional)at the corner of north earl and marlboro st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

humberklog wrote: »
    Still not many birds even these days although there is a gamey english bird(laura)behind the taps.Foul mouthed and sexy.Beth lynch in early years. They've comedty on friday nights too And saying that i pulled in there before xmas with a set designer in the abbey. Only went in for a toasty and pint. She smoked all my smoke,drank all my wine and then she left with a handful of cds next morning. Bargain.

I was in there today, I think I know the person you speak of. Some hammered dude at the bar flirting with her, was that you?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

First pint in a pub (although had been served in local GAA club prior to that, but don't count that)was the Four Roads in Sundrive/Crumlin at the tender age of fifteen in late 1996(although accompanied by an adult so guess that doesn't really count either). First pub served without adult being there was in the Welcome Inn on Parnell St. in 1997 having just turned 16, visited a good few more that night and then had a burger in AbraKebara (the one were Centra is now on corner of Westmoreland St & Aston Quay- if I remember correctly, think a guy might have been stabbed there later that night!?).

What a great summer of boozing that was though! Got served just about everywhere in the city (well maybe not but did seem like it!): Liffey Bar, Eden Quay, Sean O'Casey's, Marlborough St., The Harp (what a kip that used to be!), where Q Bar now is, McGrath's, O'Connell St. (another classy joint!), O'Neill's, Suffolk Street, Dawson Lounge, Dawson st., Bowes, Fleet St., Stags Head, The Wellington, Baggot St., Kennedy's, Westland Row, to name a few. I was always very lucky in that I wasn't questioned that often about my age, was refused from a few places, but was very lucky indeed, maybe it was because the barmen respected the audacity of a young whipper snapper walking up to the bar and asking for "a nice pint of Guinness, please." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

the beehive in balbriggan 1976,iwas 16,pint of smithwicks and 20 major 55pence,ahh they were the days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Still haven't! :p Lived in Dublin for 12 weeks and still haven't tried Guiness!!! Don't really want to either!! :eek: :p I couldn't drink that much anyway!! Not much of a drinker

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

God bless your memory lads i can't remember it must have been a good night, i think probably the Happy Knacker on Collins Ave circa 1987.

I do remember where i bought my first flaggan though and where i stashed it though.

Us northsiders were more the out door type in the 80's :D

• Advertisement

Cocoon wrote: »
    God bless your memory lads i can't remember it must have been a good night, i think probably the Happy Knacker on Collins Ave circa 1987.

I do remember where i bought my first flaggan though and where i stashed it though.

Us northsiders were more the out door type in the 80's :D
    Ah the happy knack. That was a handy place for the 17ish.I was refused there when i was around16. Had a bit of a band thing going on too. Well.... laurie hearts and who's eddy? Tell ya a quality pub around there is the ramble inn. Not in the least bit scarey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Captain America's when I was 14, early 2002. Don't have a clue how I managed to get served there! Think there were about 12 of us, all underage and only 1 had id.

Smyths in Fairview was always handy enough to get served in aswell. You could have "happy 16th birthday" banners hanging on the wall and they'd still serve you!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

18 in Messers 2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

in daniel o connell's beside the virgin mega store on the quays, that place was notorious then for serving underage, was around 96/97

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

I was a patron of the old Rose Bowl. Remember that one? :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

weirs in Dun Laoighaire, served by a Boardsie!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Bolland's in Stillorgan, aged 17. Pint of Carlsberg was the first drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Des lynch's ( Now Rums D4 aka Shelbourne House)
    Was 16, and this was 1988.
    A pint of Harp......Jaysus it was pish
    But great days none the less

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Yet another International Bar veteran!!

Aged 15 in 1990, Freddy was the manager and Ciarán and James behind the bar!!

Could only drink pints of Bulmers or Pernod & Black(current)!!

Would then make my way back to the Grove or the Cricket Club a couple of years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Never had one

Ill never understand why people drink pints [which are clearly muck] til they like it

Ye dont do that with food!!!!!!

Advertisement