Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Potentially!) working in Ballymun, wheres the best place to live?

Options
  • 25-03-2008 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of advice - my employer is proposing I relocate from County Galway to Dublin, specifically the Ballymun area (junction of M50 and N2 I understand). At the moment I am renting an excellent 3 bed house in Athenry for 700euro/month. I've had a quick look on Daft.ie and the prices in and around the Dublin area are phenomenal, to say the least! Does anybody have any advice to offer on where good places to live are? From my point of view, I'm after:
    • Renting a house, 3 bed, 2 bath
    • Something not too far to commute to work (max 15mins drive - if this is possible in Dublin traffic?!?!)
    • Somewhere reasonably suburban (or even rural?!) where I can walk the dog for a decent length of time.
    • Somewhere reasonably safe and secure (nothing like the bronx!)
    I should also mention I'm not particularly concerned about getting into the city centre to visit the bars etc, although I would like some decent local amenities (shops, pub etc)
    Its also worth mentioning that I have absolutely no idea about any areas of Dublin (only been in Ireland for 7 months now!).
    Areas I've looked at so far include Hollystown and Castleknock (not sure about proximity to M50).
    Cost of course is an important factor but I can take onboard any recommendations regardless of price and take them back to my employer;)

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!!

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I assume you have family if your looking for a 3 bed / 2 bath?

Tbh for €700 per month your looking at a 1 room bedsit in the city. You might get a 2 bed apart in ballymun itself for about €1000 maybe (they pop up every now and again). You mentioned castleknock, again your looking at 1000+ for even a small 1 bed apart (if your lucky).

Try doing a search further north, Ballbriggan maybe. Still dont think you'll get a 3 bed for €700 but you'll have more chance of bigger / cheaper than anywhere inside the m50.

Welcome to Dublin. :o

edit: Here's the search results for north co dublin, capped at €1100 per month. These will be outside of the city, but within reasonable distance of where your job is locating.

http://daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=ct1&s%5Ba_id%5D=ga4&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=1100&s%5Bbd_no%5D=&refine=Refine&search=1&s%5Bsearch_type%5D=rental&s%5Brefreshmap%5D=1&search_type=rental

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

You could look around Lansborough, Mayseton Hall, Hampton Wood. They are all new builds in the area you will be working, there seems to be a large number of these places for rent on daft but i dont think you will get any of them for €700 p/m

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Would you consider Ashbourne or Swords? Both are suburban with easy rural access. Commute by car to Ballymun wouldn't be the worst either, and more affordable than town.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

What's wrong with living in ballymun?

Try Santry or glasnevin if it's not good enough for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

ntlbell wrote: »
    What's wrong with living in ballymun?

Try Santry or glasnevin if it's not good enough for you.

The price of a 3 bed house maybe? Did you read his post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

swift683 wrote: »
    junction of M50 and N2 I understand
    Thats Finglas, but not all that far away.

Hollystown and Castleknock will be a pain commute wise. Certainly not 15 minutes (unless you leave before 6:30am)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm looking for a bit of advice - my employer is proposing I relocate from County Galway to Dublin, specifically the Ballymun area (junction of M50 and N2 I understand). At the moment I am renting an excellent 3 bed house in Athenry for 700euro/month. I've had a quick look on Daft.ie and the prices in and around the Dublin area are phenomenal, to say the least!

Presumably your employer is giving you a payrise commensurate with the higher cost of living in Dublin? If they're not, you should negotiate harder or tell them you'd like to stay in Galway.

There are plenty of houses (like other posters, I assume you have a family if you're in a 3/2) around Ballymun, such as Santry, Glasnevin and the nebulous area beside the M1 (which could be Coolock or could be Santry) Aulden Grange, Woodlawn and Royal Oak. Swords is an option assuming you're happy to drive, none of the Swords buses will drop you to Ballymun which leaves you waiting for a connecting bus or a 25+ minute walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 swift683

Thanks for all the replys everyone, keep them coming:)

I should clarify - I'm not expecting to rent a 3 bed, 2 bath house in Dublin for the same as I pay in Galway, that was me merely expressing disbelief at the disparity in cost!!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far - I will have a look around these areas on Daft.ie
    Thats Finglas, but not all that far away.

Hollystown and Castleknock will be a pain commute wise. Certainly not 15 minutes (unless you leave before 6:30am)
    Is that the case? I've heard Dublin/M50 can be a nightmare at the best of times - but Hollystown to M50/N2 i/change is 7-8k's (if Google Earth is correct!)
    Presumably your employer is giving you a payrise commensurate with the higher cost of living in Dublin? If they're not, you should negotiate harder or tell them you'd like to stay in Galway.

There are plenty of houses (like other posters, I assume you have a family if you're in a 3/2) around Ballymun, such as Santry, Glasnevin and the nebulous area beside the M1 (which could be Coolock or could be Santry) Aulden Grange, Woodlawn and Royal Oak. Swords is an option assuming you're happy to drive, none of the Swords buses will drop you to Ballymun which leaves you waiting for a connecting bus or a 25+ minute walk.
    My employer has discussed briefly with me a promotion which is the prime reason we are considering moving - how they factor in the general increase in cost from west to east coast of Ireland is yet to be discovered!:p
    No family either, just me, girlfriend and dog. The reason for wanting 3bed/2bath is we are treating this very much like a working holiday and as such we want to have family over frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is that the case? I've heard Dublin/M50 can be a nightmare at the best of times - but Hollystown to M50/N2 i/change is 7-8k's (if Google Earth is correct!)
    Access from Blanchardstown is very bad. Essentially the N3 and Phoenix Park to the south east and 2 unimproved country lanes to the north east.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

clown bag wrote: »
    The price of a 3 bed house maybe? Did you read his post?

I don't see where he mentions the price of houses in Ballymun, looks like he was checking out elsewhere.???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

I'd recommend Ashbourne or Ratoath. They're about 10 minutes drive from the M50/N2 junction, prices would be more reasonable than Dublin, both have decent shops, pubs, restaurants, etc, and have more of a rural town feel than Dublin suburbs would have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

theres APARTMENTS 4 rent in ballymun,or near santry avenue,depends on your budget,santry,or beaumont ,glasnevin ,whitehall great places to live if you can afford rent, look at let.ie, daft.ie,depends how much you wanna pay,2bed apartments are cheaper than houses re rent.in morning traffic rathoath ,ashbournes not ideal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

dont rent any of the apts near santry cross. i'm from nearby and a few friends (and friends of friends have had some incredibly nasty experiences in that immediate vicinity)

try renting up around mayeston hall , lanesborough , cityside which are all the new parts of finglas and about 10 mins drive from Ballymun (when you take morning traffic into account)

Advertisement