Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite Album artwork and packaging

Options
  • 25-03-2008 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hey guys!
    im doing my thesis on imagery in music and album artwork design and i just thought it would be interesting to get some peoples view on their favorite album artwork, and the packaging that the album comes wrapped in. so whats your favorite album artwork ever? what do you think was a very clever packaging idea for a certain album!!! feel free to leave your opinion on anything like this! thanks alot!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 popetony

i really like the Ten thousand days album cover by tool.... It has a periscope style magnifying glass on the front which you use to look at the artwork in the booklet more carefully....very clever idea....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Miles Davis' - "Bitches Brew"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 popetony

that is a cool album cover....its very surreall....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Bright Eyes' Fevers and Mirrors and Casadaga. By a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

shellac 100 hurts comes in a pretty fancy box,
    godspeed you black emperor always put loads of effeort into their releases too expecially slow riot for new zero kanada and F#A#∞

http://www.cstrecords.com/cst003.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

"Appetite For Destruction" by Guns N'Roses. The original cover art was banned and replaced by the cross with the five skulls on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Appetitefordestruction.jpg

There's the original cover art.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The original Gerald Scarfe design of the gatefold sleeve for Pink Floyd's The Wall is one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,779 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

"Favourite Worst Nightmare"- Arctic Monkeys...Now thats good
    And Also..."All we know is Falling" - Paramore...There the best

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

The original PIL metal box packaging was pretty cool.
    The Smiths record covers iconography probably deserves a thesis all of its own!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

The Smiths and The Stone Roses are two stand-outs for me.

For more novelty value, Spiritualized's 'Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space' came in a medicine box, like an Asprin box, and the cd inside was in a blister pack, with dosage instructions included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

"Appetite For Destruction" by Guns N'Roses. The original cover art was banned and replaced by the cross with the five skulls on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Appetitefordestruction.jpg

There's the original cover art.

You can also find that image across two pages in the booklet with the album.

I always liked the artwork on the re:animation album by linkin park , nothing particularly ground breaking , I just likes it :p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

As bubs said you should really check out bright eyes covers. Try and see them on vinyl if possible, they're jsut lovely.

For me the nicest cover is Figure 8 by Elliott but that could be that i just miss him alot and love that record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

System of A Down's Toxicity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jimmy Apollo

Has to be Sgt. Peppers. The orginal gatefold. It turned album covers into genuine art. I love Pet Sounds cover too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Alice Cooper - School's Out. The original vinyl edition had legs that folded out and a hinged lid so it could be made to look like a school desk. The record itself was wrapped in a pair of panties. The Stones did something similar for Sticky Fingers, which had a real zip on the cover and a pair of panties inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Pulse from Pimnnk Floys. The CDs come in a kind of book, then the book-thingy goes in a box. Class. Then there are loads of pictures from the gig in the book as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

All of Stanley Donwood's work for Radiohead: OK Computer, Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows. But most of all... Most of all The Eraser. Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

1 - a special edition of Badly Drawn Boys last CD "Born in the UK"....i ordered it off CDWow and they sent me the special one by mistake.....score!!! Its basically a passport booklet with his photo on inside....and oh yeah a CD and DVD too...it actually does look like a passport when you go to pick it up....i thought it was a great idea considering the personal nature of the album

2 - a CD by Icelandic band Sigur Ros (actually all their CD art is cool)....its their 3rd album and its name is "()"....untitled, just a set of brackets...it comes in a plastic slipcase with the () cut out, and a booklet inside with absolutley no text, just tracing paper style pages and forest images, left blank to the listener is meant to write down their own interpretation of the music on the pages....mad!

3 - New Orders CD "Low-Life" is pretty cool because the sleeve is basically a see-through cover that comes with a square photo of each member of the band, so you can change the cover to whatever band member you want..think I'll change it now actually!

Yes I am a CD cover nerd :)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I love CD artwork and I really love when they are digipak rather than jewel... digipack shows off the artwork so much better but they do need more care to keep in good condition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digipak (actually the cover they show here is an excellent album and I really like the artwork)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_disc_packaging#Jewel_case

Most of the artwork from Susumu Yokota is really good and tends to be digipak with the odd exception.

http://www.discogs.com/release/71571

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

For me, it has to be the artwork for "London Calling" by The Clash....

http://havercamp.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/london-calling.jpg

IMHO it perfectly sums up the energetic, defiant spirit of punk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Two album covers that I really like:

Sepultura - Arise
    Sepultura_-_Arise.jpg

Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
    Sepultura_-_Chaos_A.D..jpg

I find them both very well drawn and there is enough going on in each one to require a good long look to take the whole scene in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The Hafler Trio make more than just an album, the entire sleeve is meant to be part of the album experience (usually essays or objects related to the audio content). One release came in a wooden box with different things to excite each of the five senses (I don't have it so can't be more specific). Then there's the Dreamachine which includes a cylinder and light to be put on a record turntable that causes the light to flicker as it spins in an alpha rhythm (one of the brain rhythms involved in sleep).

Coil put out a bonus CD with one of their albums that came in an edition of around 300. Each copy came with a completely different, hand-painted sleeve. Then there's the art edition of their last album, The Ape of Naples, more hand painted shenanigans and handmade wooden box.

Nurse With Wound make cool packaging too, like the leather bag box set of their early albums.
    ud0134b.jpg

The doom metal band Moss put out a cassette release that came in metal sculptures:
    1.jpg

Then the guys from Tindersticks made a compilation of children's stories and old children's TV tunes that came in one of those thick card children's books:
    61sU5z5uOHL._AA240_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭mc nuggets

The Prize Fighter Inferno - My Brothers Blood Machine

PrizeFighterInferno.jpg

It comes in a kinda worn almost pseudo-leather casing and the lyrics are written on the back of tarot cards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Anything by Funkadelic, especially the Pedro Bell drawings, "Funkadelic" and "Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Yeah its gotta be Sgt. Peppers. Abbey Road was incredible as well, hell as was Let It Be. Look at their cultural impact!

More recent efforts were the likes of Flock by Bell X1,Is This It by The Strokes and I couldn't resist the font on Teenager by Thrills even though it was ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

New Orders CD "Low-Life" is pretty cool because the sleeve is basically a see-through cover that comes with a square photo of each member of the band, so you can change the cover to whatever band member you want..think I'll change it now actually!
    Yeah, I keep Gillian on the front in a show of female solidarity ;). I used to have the LP too and it didn't have that feature. Really cool.
    Yes I am a CD cover nerd :)
    Nothing wrong with that...

I would recommend so many covers by Vaughan Oliver, 4AD Records' resident designer:

The_Breeders_Pod_large.jpg
    B00000DRAX.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    Pale-Saints-The-Comforts-Of-M-284714.jpg
    459.jpg
    772.jpg
    Lush%20-%20Scar.jpg
    cocteautwinstreasuremc7.jpg
    Not that it was all "sweetness and light" (heh heh). He was quite happy to venture over to the dark side too:

come-on-pilgrim-pixies.jpg
    4150YCZTJYL._AA240_.jpg

That last cover is disgusting :eek:

Another great cover and one of the best DJ mixes ever is the original Renaissance mixed by John Digweed & Sasha...

I lost my copy a long time ago :(

ren1.jpg

ren2.jpg

ren4.jpg

ren6.jpg

ren7.jpg

http://www.discogs.com/release/100874

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Lol... That's just Michelangelo's frescos in the Sistine Chapel..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Cool topic for a thesis, if your not focusing specifically on cd's then check out the old vinyl cover for Led Zeppeln III. It has a wheel inside that moves and changes the album cover slightly each time, it's a fantastic and very original idea! If you don't have the old vinyl handy, i think that the re-released CD versions from about three years ago were copies of the oringinal cardboard vinyl covers....

r4388451137004440dt2.jpg

Advertisement