Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Voyager 2110 as Repeater - Possible??

Options
  • 25-03-2008 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi,

My main problem here is that I need to increase the signal strength of my wireless router. I have tried a lot of different options.

I have two BT Voyager 2110 Wireless routers and I am looking to use one of them as a repeater to the other. Does any one know how this can be configured? or better still, can it be configured?

If it cannot, what is the best option out there that I can go for that will boost the signal strength (as in an access point / bridge / repeater)?

My ideal solution is that I can have an additional access point in the house for wired connections that will also be increasing the wireless signal.

Any thoughts on this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

3 years later, how did you get on with the repeater?
    I've managed to set up mine recently. I needed a DSL connection for my TV but didn't have a access point nearby. The second router works a dream & is wired to my TV. It also has extended the wireless range around my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Any tips on how to do this, I have a BT Voyager 2110 and a spare modem that I could use to extend the range around house.

Thanks,

Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mossyd

Thats great new Machinehead .. you have gotten further than I did on this one. I gave up a short time after, and started using them seperately (turning one on and the other off, depending on where I needed access).

If you can tell me / us how to configure the Voyager 2110 as a repeater, that would be great!

mossyd wrote: »
    Thats great new Machinehead .. you have gotten further than I did on this one. I gave up a short time after, and started using them seperately (turning one on and the other off, depending on where I needed access).

If you can tell me / us how to configure the Voyager 2110 as a repeater, that would be great!

Hiya,
    I finally got it working purely by hit & miss. ALL THESE SETTINGS ARE APPLIED TO THE MAIN ROUTER connected to your telephone wall socket.
    If you go to Configuration (requires password - default = admin, admin in both forms). this will bring up the config menu. Select wireless to bring up wireless config menu. Select the repeater tab at the top.
    Search for other repeaters = select manual.
    Now for the miss part. In the section for MAC Address of Remote Wireless Repeaters - enter the MAC Address of the 2nd Voyager 2110(repeater router) found on the bottom. The main reason for setting up the repeater option was to get a wired DSL connection to my TV, as a USB wireless adapter for Panasonic TV's is over €100. I can't really tell the extent of the wireless range on the repeater unit, but, all but 1 room in the house is now covered by WIFI.
    In the MAC Address Control tab I have the Access Control set to OFF. (Don't know if it makes any difference!)
    Now if it all goes "tits up" you can reset the whole thing back to default via the reset pin hole at the back of the unit. Good Luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Thanks Machinehead will give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 mossyd

My config has changed slightly .. I am now using the Vodafone modem as my primary and have the Voyager 2110 as the repeater. I have the Vodafone 'listening' but have not managed to get the Voyager to connect to it.

I will keep trying here but if anyone has any ideas.......

mossyd wrote: »
    My config has changed slightly .. I am now using the Vodafone modem as my primary and have the Voyager 2110 as the repeater. I have the Vodafone 'listening' but have not managed to get the Voyager to connect to it.

I will keep trying here but if anyone has any ideas.......

Have you got the Mac address from the voyager right? The Voyager Mac address needs to be inserted in the VF router repeater options. It's worth double checking - or maybe the config is working the other way around?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

If you can't get it working using the stock firmware, the current OpenWrt trunk supports the Voyager 2110. Apart from ADSL, the device is fully supported. I know, because I added the support myself. ;)

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/brcm63xx/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pjoycebmw

I've changed all the settings on the base router as you've described but to no avail with the repeater (both are BT voyager 2110 routers) Is there thing I need to do with the repeater voyager? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ephelan24

pjoycebmw same here settings are not working for me any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 dimebucker1

Jonathan wrote: »
    If you can't get it working using the stock firmware, the current OpenWrt trunk supports the Voyager 2110. Apart from ADSL, the device is fully supported. I know, because I added the support myself. ;)

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/brcm63xx/

Which one do i download? and how do you update the router?

Cheers:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

See the below link for a list of supported hardware and which one you need to download.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh:start

Advertisement