Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interview advice

• 25-03-2008 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

I'm meeting a lecturer to talk about doing a mathematically-based PhD in a couple of days. I'm not too worried about any technical questions he might ask me, since I'm pretty sure I know my stuff. I'm just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to find out about the degree.

So far, questions I can think of are:
    "What would I be doing on a typical day?"
    "What lectures are offered that might be relevant for me?"
    "Will I be doing any tutoring?"
    "What kind of funding is available?"

Obviously I'd ask some questions specific to the subject I'll be studying, but can anyone think of other more general stuff I should find out?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The level of 'formality' probably depends on how well he/she knows you. That said I wouldn't imagine a grilling. You'd probably be best advised to know the main points related to your proposed project and have enough grasp on the surrounding theory to have a conversation about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Never met him, this is a first meeting.
    It's really more his suggestion than mine, I'm just interested in the field in general. I guess I might benefit from doing a bit more reading.
    Right, cheers for the advice Peadar ;)

Advertisement