Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me an upgrade

Options
  • 25-03-2008 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,425 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Currently have an S939 Opty144 system with 1GB of ram. It used to be fine with the Opty1.8@2.7 until the mobo blew after about a year. I quickly replaced the mobo with a cheap non-overclockable one and the system has just been too slow since. I have all required components, except:

CPU
    Mobo
    RAM

The system needs to be good performance, but quiet is most important. I don't game. I have a PCI-E graphics card that's passively cooled and the CPU in my current system is water cooled with the Zalman Reserator. My PSU is a passive Fortron 300W. My two 120mm casefans are undervolted at 5V. The system is virtually silent. You get the idea of what's important to me!

An overclock would be welcome but not necessary.

Budget: about €200-€400

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

200-400 is a wonderful budget for good performance.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L
    2048MB 800MHz Corsair XMS2

I'd say thats around €270.

Though you'd get away with

Intel Core 2 Duo E2160
    Asrock ConRoe1333-D667
    2048MB 800Mhz Aeneon

Around €110
    Wonderful overclocking in that processor.

I'd prefer the first mobo tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,425 ✭✭✭✭unkel

toco123 wrote: »
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Gigabyte GA-P31-DS3L
    2048MB 800MHz Corsair XMS2

I'd say thats around €270

Thanks for your help. Things are a lot cheaper than the last time I upgraded!

I'll definitely go for that CPU. About the motherboard, should I go with P31 and DDR2 or P35 with DDR3. The latter doesn't seem much more expensive. Is P35 more future proof? Any other pros and cons?

Appreciate the help!

The P35 isn't DDR3 compatible. Otherwise DDR3 is ridiculously expensive at the moment and there is no need unless your gaming

toco123 wrote: »
    DDR3 is ridiculously expensive at the moment and there is no need unless your gaming

I've just done a quick google and DDR2 vs DDR3 seems to be a very similar battle as DDR vs DDR2 was back when :)

I'll go DDR2 so.

About the mobo, I see you own the Gigabyte you recommend. If I may ask, what did you base your decision to buy it on? Did it score well in reviews? Any other good boards around that price? I'm more used to boards from Abit and ASUS myself.

Stability and silence are more important to me than speed

Unfortunately that build has not been made yet due to a delay with harwareversand (they cancelled my order; i paid?!!). I hopefully will have it at the end of the week. But seeing as your question doesn't ask me anything about my experience of it, yes I based it on a few reviews. Some ones that stuck out were CustomPC and PCFormat. Both write about its fantastic overclocking and value for money. But what will made me keen to buy it was the amount of people here with the motherboard who were delighted with the mobo!! I haven't heard any problems about it. Otherwise and don't think any of the other mobos perform well at this price range. You'd probably be happier with a GA-P35-DS3L.. Both perform well

• Advertisement

Ordered the ASUS P5K instead of the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. There doesn't seem to be much between them and I'm used to ASUS. But got the Intel Quad and the RAM you recommended

Thanks for your help!

Yah, nice mobo! You should be happy with that! :D:D Tell us how you get on

Will do! Thanks again for your help :)

Parts arrived and built computer last Monday. Works like a dream! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

pics or it didnt happen !

• Advertisement

Great Stuff!

Advertisement