Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derren Brown

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I'm more of a fan of his explanatory stuff he does for tv.
    Like http://youtube.com/watch?v=lW2yKlNFFuU
    and http://youtube.com/watch?v=2Sq-YUdq1OI

But in off topic mode, I really think we should put clue on how to access the private section in the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

eh that magicians area is easy to get into, i got in on the first try after 5mins deliberation. here's a hint... no need to spend so much time searching for the answer when you can get someone else to search for you

• Registered Users Posts: 25,236 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

NOOO! Our secrets are exposed! Surely magic is doomed!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

He's not talking about the private area on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

What are you talking about?

• Advertisement

??? wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

If I answer that then this thread will continue to go off topic ... so I wont. Back on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Has anyone seen "the derren brown lecture" on how he does his thing? Its a bad quality video but does show that it is mainly tricks and bits of confident psychology on weak minded individuals (i.e. those that tend not to question things before believing them).

I think derren does use psychology to an extent but pushes that he does to make it more believeable - people are in someways predictable. I also think illusion, misdirection and showmanship are the main things he uses. Then again he does say all of this at the begining of his shows.

I thought the "the system" show was a good show in that it showed how people can believe they are the one etc easily just because of coincidence and how easy it is to believe something just because we want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just bought his tricks of the mind book the other day. If nothing else the Memory techniques are genius. Love visualizing weird situations with two objects :) Though its tough not to picture them all just avin sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

axer wrote: »
    I thought the "the system" show was a good show in that it showed how people can believe they are the one etc easily just because of coincidence and how easy it is to believe something just because we want to.

I was actually a little bit disappointed in 'The System' because I knew what he was doing within a few minutes. That was a scam pulled by a guy in America that I read about in a book called Freakonomics (think it was that one anyway). Using something someone else had done wasn't the best thing he's ever done ya know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I'd say the give away was when Derren admitted that he'd already read the paper and was therefore able to pick out words as most automatic writing seems to be pretty ambigous and link it to whichever story fitted best. At a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

nah, it was much simpler than that, but u would have to have derrens contacts to pull it off. i figured it out...i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭???

Care to post your opinion in the Circle?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

abracadabra...

Come on now you have us intrigued, You dont think he has enough pull to get a story printed in the guardian do u?

Read the charter ShooterSF, no reveals allowed on the main forum.

Well I didnt think it was a reveal as such just his opinion but ok..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

This guy is a great artist, flicked through one of his books and he has a couple of portraits in there, one of Richard Dawkins, they're really good he's multitalented so he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 magic Leon

i say Derrens lecture was more confussed after it he didn't really explain much.
    Leon.
    www.leonandersen.com

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I absolutely love Derren Brown's stuff, and although I know that he's a fantastic magician, when I'm watching his shows I usually forget this and get swept along by his showmanship!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I absolutely love Derren Brown's stuff, and although I know that he's a fantastic magician, when I'm watching his shows I usually forget this and get swept along by his showmanship!
    Yep, fantastic entertainment to say the least.

Advertisement