Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Easiest city to find work with J1

• 25-03-2008 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey all, i'm heading over on a J1 for the summer and have a few different cities in mind - San Francisco, New York and Boston. Really don't want to end up jobless so which city would be most easiest out of those to get a job in? Any help appreciated ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

i was in boston last yr on my j1, couldnt get a job.not that there isnt loads of work going but i left it too late to look and literally everything had been taken by other j1ers.its mental how many irish went there last year. out of 7 of us 4 were in restaurants, one did golf caddying, one put leaflets in doors-he quit after 2 days! if you do go, try boston aquarium-tonnes of irish workin there and the lemonade stands aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

From what I have heard the main thing you have to do to get a job in any city is to arrive out there as early in the summer as possible. Im leaving one week after my exams so ill be there nearly a week before the start of June.

df1985, how much did your golf caddying friend get I heard thats a brilliant job to do if you can land it. Short hours, big money. Are the rumours true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

cooperguy wrote: »
    df1985, how much did your golf caddying friend get I heard thats a brilliant job to do if you can land it. Short hours, big money. Are the rumours true?

he didnt get any basic wage, its was up to the person he was caddying for to pay him.all of the members were millionaires so he on average he got 80-100 dollars a round.sometimes more sometimes less.

not all as good as it sounds, he had to be up at the crack of dawn, he got sunstroke and burnt to a crisp, and he was always knackered.the last place you want to be is carryin a bag/sometimes 2 bags of clubs around a golf course when its 40 degrees outside and you're dying with a hungover.he was miserable when he was going to work and we were still up drinkin or not even home from a night out.

Advertisement