Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Connecting MacBook WiFi to Desktop!

• 25-03-2008 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

I have a black MacBook (10.4) and Windows XP PC, my broadband is with Eircom and I have a wireless router which my MacBook connects to.

What I want to do is get my desktop to connect to the internet using my MacBook's WiFi, since the distance between the router and desktop is too great to use a wire ( also awkward as it would involved going down a a hallway)

The problem is quite hard as it requires somebody who is familiar with both OS's. If somebody knows of a guide or a similar forum post that would be helpful too.

What have I done so far? I can swap files between the Mac and desktop with a Cat 5 cable, but no internet. Obviously any help much appreciated.

-Dev

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Could you not just get a wireless NIC (PCI or USB) for the desktop? Otherwise the Mac would need to be on whenever the desktop wants to connect to the 'net

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Dev 17

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate it. However I was fortunate enough to find the solution on another forum. I will leave it here in case of future google viewers.

On the Macbook open System Preferneces -> Sharing icon -> Internet tab
    Share your connection from: AirPort
    To computers using: Built-in Ethernet

-Dev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Your MacBook Battery will cost about 140 quid to replace, this will cost you 25 quid. No brainer really. :)

ZEN

Advertisement