Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

source of water and costs

• 25-03-2008 6:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hi,

our land has no water supply and there is no group water scheme in the area, what is the best way and the cheapest way of getting a constant supply of water, I know you have wells, what is the drawback with these, what is the average cost to bore a well?, also, we have been looking at rain water harvesting systems, as anyone used these, are there any other methods for getting fresh water beside driving to the nearest tap a few miles or so down the road.

Thanks.

Simon

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Most land in ireland has some kind of water under it.

A bored well can cost you in excess of €3K. prices usually depend on depth of drilling.
    A rainwater harvesting can cost you anything from 3-4K for collections and treatment for grey usage. Filtration and treatment for drinking may cost in excess of 7-8K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

From what you said there, it looks like a well is your best option. How far away is the nearest mains/group water scheme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

smashey wrote: »
    From what you said there, it looks like a well is your best option. How far away is the nearest mains/group water scheme?

I got this email from Leitrim Co. Co

Our technician has confirmed on the map that the South Leitrim Regional
    Water Supply (Public Mains) is running along the road (R209). There
    are several group water schemes in the area but the public mains appears
    to be the nearest water supply mains to this townland. It will prove
    difficult for you to obtain water directly from the public mains on your
    own due to the distance of Derrinkip from Regional Road R209. Single
    connections are granted only within a 150m distance from the public
    mains. It is possible to form a group scheme for which grant assistance of
    85% is payable subject to a limit of EUR6,475.66 per house. There is no
    Group Water Scheme in existence in the Derrinkip area.

Simon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Depending on how deep they have to go to bore the well , will determine the cost. We had to go to 270 ft ( in Cork) @ 10 Euro a foot for the well & liners & another payment for a pump & pressure vessel after that you are talking about 5-6K
    You then need to get the water tested ( go to an independent lab for that ) & you might have to put some treatment on it after that. Depending on the quality of the water you mad need to buy some type of chemicals on a regular basis for the water.

Would I be right in thinking you are a bit isolated on your site and that the formation of a group scheme isn't an option?

If so, it would appear that the well is the only way to go.
    CamperMan wrote: »
    I got this email from Leitrim Co. Co

Our technician has confirmed on the map that the South Leitrim Regional
    Water Supply (Public Mains) is running along the road (R209). There
    are several group water schemes in the area but the public mains appears
    to be the nearest water supply mains to this townland. It will prove
    difficult for you to obtain water directly from the public mains on your
    own due to the distance of Derrinkip from Regional Road R209. Single
    connections are granted only within a 150m distance from the public
    mains. It is possible to form a group scheme for which grant assistance of
    85% is payable subject to a limit of EUR6,475.66 per house. There is no
    Group Water Scheme in existence in the Derrinkip area.

Simon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I just got my well bored for €8 a foot including lining, had to go 220 ft and then I got a 1HP pump and 100ltr Vessell for €1,300.

So all in just over €3,000 and then I will need to get a filtration system as the water is hard in my area, won't know excatly how bad until I get a sample tested, but about €1k to €2k for that I think. But at least once its done its done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭rosullivan

Villain wrote: »
    I just got my well bored for €8 a foot including lining, had to go 220 ft and then I got a 1HP pump and 100ltr Vessell for €1,300.

So all in just over €3,000 and then I will need to get a filtration system as the water is hard in my area, won't know excatly how bad until I get a sample tested, but about €1k to €2k for that I think. But at least once its done its done.
    If you need to bore a new well,you should be eligable for a grant from your local Co Co. Call themto find out details, but itis usually around a coupleof thousand to help with the cost. Not to be sneezed at.

No grant is available for a new house, only if you have been resident in the house for 7 years i.e. an existing house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭rosullivan

Villain wrote: »
    No grant is available for a new house, only if you have been resident in the house for 7 years i.e. an existing house
    Fair nuff. I looked at this re: renovation of existing house alright.

Yea and its well worth it but even if you buy a house and want to renovate you can only quality for the grant if you have been living in it for 7 years, a bit crap imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 lollipop08

Whilst posts here have mentioned ways of finding water for your land, how will you be disposing of it? If you are not attached to a mains connection, can we also presume that you are not connected to waster-water or sewage treatment?
    Can you specify if this water is needed for farm use/drinking/washing, etc?

If you need drinking water for a home/house personally I think rainwater harvesting into a large underground tank is the best option (3-4k). Then buy an ozone purifier (1-2k) to make it potable. If you have a large enough roof that is...Why tap into our already over-burdened wells unless you have to. Every home should have one!

lollipop08 wrote: »
    Whilst posts here have mentioned ways of finding water for your land, how will you be disposing of it? If you are not attached to a mains connection, can we also presume that you are not connected to waster-water or sewage treatment?
    Can you specify if this water is needed for farm use/drinking/washing, etc?

If you need drinking water for a home/house personally I think rainwater harvesting into a large underground tank is the best option (3-4k). Then buy an ozone purifier (1-2k) to make it potable. If you have a large enough roof that is...Why tap into our already over-burdened wells unless you have to. Every home should have one!
    Eh, on-site sewage treatment isn't a problem here.

Advertisement