Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda pulls over a Garda and ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

If an annonymous hack wrote it in a rag like Phoenix then it must be true :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

People are confusing two issues,

Random breath testing and Random stops.

Random breath testing, if a guard is passing through there is nothing wrong with him mention he is a guard if it comes up, the guard on duty may decide to wave him through or test anyway, just as he can wave any car through, it makes little difference. Its quite common to test one out of three cars on busy roads,

Random stops don't mean testing, they mean anything, tax, insurance, name address, quick check, this is simply proactive policing. It is normally targeted at younger people, its happened to me and can take 10 mins, esp if there are passengers. If a lad was to mention that he was a guard, or even in phase 2, whats the harm, it saves everyones time and gets the guards on the road quicker.

And the arguement that because he is a guard he may still be breaking the law, of course he might. As reference by cases above, but the chances of it are much lower, proportionally the least likely I would imagine, more people will be caught if they get on with the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

metman wrote: »
    The couple of times I've stopped off-duty or plain clothes while out and about on patrol I was happy they showed out and said they were job.

As a professional copper I don't want to spend my time delaying law abiding types when there's a world of scrotes out there that deserve my attention.

Very true... go get the bad ones, im all for that however... :o
    I know a lady guard who works in Dublin city who has said more than ones many of her garda collegues are the most obnoxious power hungry, above everyone else "i am the law" attitudes... and she gave examples.. Guards should be treated the very same as the rest when off duty.. Who's to say mr. garda didn't have 2 glasses of wine then forget theres no milk for the baby.. best get some..

Also, what happened about that case where new trainee guards stopped a fellow guard off duty drunk driving.. and did him, just like everyone else even after the guy said im a guard.. Now thats setting an example..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

The couple of times I've stopped off-duty or plain clothes while out and about on patrol I was happy they showed out and said they were job.

As a professional copper I don't want to spend my time delaying law abiding types when there's a world of scrotes out there that deserve my attention.

just because a person is a cop does not mean that they are always "law abiding types" , i can think of a few cases off the top of my head where they have been in various kinds of trouble.
    1 in particular is quite embarrassing for the garda ,i wont say exactly what it is but members of the force might remember it, it happened to a cop in waterford, i think it was in tramore,i could be wrong on the last bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm not really suggesting that the Guard would get away with any wrong doing as such.. I can't really explain the question .. it's a muddle of thoughts in my head.

I guess I just wonder if the off duty Guard comes across as an ass for thinking having his badge with him makes a blind bit of difference or that the other guy is really interested.

I mean .. if you work in a phone shop you don't walk in an annouce it .. same sorta thing .. but different .. I don't know ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

ojewriej wrote: »

In the US though they have different states and jurisdictions and I believe as they carry firearms off duty they are required to say it and the legal reason why they are allowed do so. Just as if Joe Soap there has a gun he is required to place his hands on the wheel, state he has a gun in his glove box and with one hand show, not touch but show the gun and the license.

Jonty wrote: »
    Eh no. Same as the bad lads in Donegal, he got his pension.
    Once again for the ignorant. Its a private pension, he paid into it for his entire career, nothing to do with the government. If you get convicted of drink driving should we take your private pension away as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I know a lady guard who works in Dublin city who has said more than ones many of her garda collegues are the most obnoxious power hungry, above everyone else "i am the law" attitudes... and she gave examples.. Guards should be treated the very same as the rest when off duty.. Who's to say mr. garda didn't have 2 glasses of wine then forget theres no milk for the baby.. best get some..

Of course there are bad apples but the good apples are in the majority. Every profession has the wrong type of people. Sooner or later these power hungry types will slip and be caught and could result in job loss or fine

Also, what happened about that case where new trainee guards stopped a fellow guard off duty drunk driving.. and did him, just like everyone else even after the guy said im a guard.. Now thats setting an example..

Think that was the probationner stopping and arresting a Super in Galway. Fair play to him

just because a person is a cop does not mean that they are always "law abiding types" , i can think of a few cases off the top of my head where they have been in various kinds of trouble.
    1 in particular is quite embarrassing for the garda ,i wont say exactly what it is but members of the force might remember it, it happened to a cop in waterford, i think it was in tramore,i could be wrong on the last bit.

You are correct it did happen in Tramore and involved a pair of knickers and a phone
    random wrote: »
    I guess I just wonder if the off duty Guard comes across as an ass for thinking having his badge with him makes a blind bit of difference or that the other guy is really interested.

Personally I don't flash the badge unless I'm going into a niteclub or want something for free (can you hear the Garda bashers running this way??). Usually if stopped at a checkpoint a member will realise they are talking to another member. I don't know if it is the way we speak or the language we use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

TheNog wrote: »
    Usually if stopped at a checkpoint a member will realise they are talking to another member. I don't know if it is the way we speak or the language we use.

Garda on duty: 'Is this your veheecle?'

Off Duty Garda in car: 'Yes officer it is my veheecle'

Garda on duty flashes knowing smile and waves comrade on his way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

A friend of mine who is in the job was driving some lads home after being out the night before, she encountered an alcohol testing checkingpoint as they came round a bend and the conversation went like this:

Garda: Good morning!

Good morning! How are things?

Garda: We're conducting an MAT Checkpoint blah blah... have you had anything to drink?

Well, i was out yesterday evening an had a few beers with the lads here, i'm actually a member myself i work in ***** (and begins fumbling for her ID card)

Garda: A member?! Oh grand so, you'll know how this goes then - and passes the alcometer device through the window to her!

haha!! I thought that was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

TheNog wrote: »
    Personally I don't flash the badge unless I'm going into a niteclub or want something for free (can you hear the Garda bashers running this way??). Usually if stopped at a checkpoint a member will realise they are talking to another member. I don't know if it is the way we speak or the language we use.

Coppers or subway?? Yes subway give all emergency services discounts ;)
    the locust wrote: »
    A friend of mine who is in the job was driving some lads home after being out the night before, she encountered an alcohol testing checkingpoint as they came round a bend and the conversation went like this:

Garda: Good morning!

Good morning! How are things?

Garda: We're conducting an MAT Checkpoint blah blah... have you had anything to drink?

Well, i was out yesterday evening an had a few beers with the lads here, i'm actually a member myself i work in ***** (and begins fumbling for her ID card)

Garda: A member?! Oh grand so, you'll know how this goes then - and passes the alcometer device through the window to her!

haha!! I thought that was brilliant!

Hmm just thinking, serving members will be able to answer this

If she blew over the limit could a decent defence get her off cause the guard didnt explain??

Just curious becuase when i was asked to blow on christmas eve traffic corps garda explained the whol process for about a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Fyr.Fytr wrote: »
    If she blew over the limit could a decent defence get her off cause the guard didnt explain?

Ordinarily its a requirement that the procedure is explained and cases have been binned where this hasn't been followed. In the above scenario the fact that the member is already familiar with the procedure....I would imagine that there might be some legal argument but ultimately it'd be down to the judge.

I'd still run through the procedure regardless of who was being screened to prevent just such a situation.

Cheers metman, thats was what i was thinking, wasn't sure.

Just always make sure to cover your ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Coppers of subway?? Yes subway give all emergency services discounts ;)

Hmm just thinking, serving members will be able to answer this

If she blew over the limit could a decent defence get her off cause the guard didnt explain??

Just curious becuase when i was asked to blow on christmas eve traffic corps garda explained the whol process for about a week.

I would assume so. I have never even seen the hand held device nevermind being shown how to use it or the wording of the demand, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Garda on duty: 'Is this your veheecle?'

Off Duty Garda in car: 'Yes officer it is my veheecle'

Garda on duty flashes knowing smile and waves comrade on his way!

:D tee hee hee

I would assume so. I have never even seen the hand held device nevermind being shown how to use it or the wording of the demand, etc.

Its a simple enough thing by the looks of it.

I was in bits "keep blowing keep blowing keep blowing keep blowing" god sake im a 20 a day smoker lol, hate to have to do it locked.

Maybe thats the idea they can throw the charge of failure to supply specimin of breath along with the drink driving lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

Its a simple enough thing by the looks of it.

I was in bits "keep blowing keep blowing keep blowing keep blowing" god sake im a 20 a day smoker lol, hate to have to do it locked.

Maybe thats the idea they can throw the charge of failure to supply specimin of breath along with the drink driving lol

The basic ESD (electronic screening device) requires a continuous breath and works like a set of traffic lights; green = pass, amber = there's alcohol in your system that may rise to a level that means you would fail a breath test so further driving is at your own risk, and red = fail.

The procedure will be explained, ie use of mouthwash or smoking etc, as will the operation of the esd. The provision of a sample is a legal requirement and a failure to provide is an offence for which you can be arrested (as is taking the piss in pretending to give a sample but not doing so). This offence is 'failing to provide a specimen of breath when required to do so' (bearing in mind this is UK law). When charged with this offence you will receive a substantial ban from driving, this is mandatory, and a hefty fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Presumably it's the same as we don't hear on the news about traffic accidents involving "..an off duty plumber.." do we?

A plumber is never off duty :p

This offence is 'failing to provide a specimen of breath when required to do so' (bearing in mind this is UK law). When charged with this offence you will receive a substantial ban from driving, this is mandatory, and a hefty fine.

We have the same offence here in Eire of failure/refusal to provide a specimen of breath/blood/urine (covering all methods of obtaining a sample here). First offence is automatic disqualification for fours, second and subsequent is 6 years and/or fine €2,500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

ojewriej wrote: »

That makes for disturbing reading tbh
    Oilrig wrote: »
    I have mates who are coppers, some have been in since the '80's. Not all are in uniform.

All are unanimous in that the old days are gone, ie being a "member" is irrelevant should you infringe.

All are also happy about it, makes their job easier.

And that warms the cockles of my heart, if this is true I'm glad to hear that there's a consensus among gardai that no special treatment should be applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 collied

This happened me the other day.

Myself and my friend were just after picking his mother up from work who is a garda.

Came accross a Mandatory Alcohol Testing checkpoint.

Garda comes up to the window "Hows a going, where are you coming from lads?"
    My friend "Just picking my mam up from work"
    Garda looks in the back "How are you, where do you work?"
    Friends mam "Grand not a bother" takes out warrant card "I'm in the job aswell"
    Garda "Grand so, have you been drinking or anything"
    My friend "No"
    Garda "On your way so"

She didn't pull it out straight away or anything, just when asked about occupation

Maybe I'm the only one seeing this but ,what business is it of the garda where the drivers mother works....if she wasn't driving the car then the garda shouldn't even be bothered with her....maybe I'm wrong......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

You're right..I think!

They stopped my Mam one day and they asked her where she was coming from.

Her response: 'None of your business where I was coming from.'

His response: The patented 'on your way so'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Predhead wrote: »
    You're right..I think!

They stopped my Mam one day and they asked her where she was coming from.

Her response: 'None of your business where I was coming from.'

His response: The patented 'on your way so'.

Yeah, she showed that prick :rolleyes:. She's only ****in' deadly...

I dunno, think he was just wondering where we were coming from, nothing ment by it.

At the end of the day guards are human too

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

I dunno, think he was just wondering where we were coming from, nothing ment by it.

At the end of the day guards are human too

yes they are most definitely,but it still doesn't excuse the few who are on a power buzz to exceed their authority. On that point I was recently asked by a Garda when I was stopped at a checkpoint where I was going, I replied Home,He got very indignant at this and told me not to be such a f****** smarta**se. I asked him very politely not to speak to a member of the public in such an abusive manner and that I answered the question I was asked. Fortunately a sergeant who overheard this exchange intervened and apologised for his colleagues' behaviour and assured me it would be dealt with on their return to the station. Does anyone know exactly what a Garda can ask a member of the public when stopped at a checkpoint bar the obvious drinking and license questions?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

480905 wrote: »
    anyone know exactly what a Garda can ask a member of the public when stopped at a checkpoint bar the obvious drinking and license questions?????

They can ask whatever questions they like.

cushtac wrote: »
    They can ask whatever questions they like.

Even ones that are completely and absolutely none of their business??? thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Even ones that are completely and absolutely none of their business??? thanks for that.

well if he asks what washing powder you use id be wondering, but mostly anything id say!

shakin wrote: »
    well if he asks what washing powder you use id be wondering, but mostly anything id say!

LOL... good stuff......any members have an opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

they are paid to be objective and not have an opinion!!!!

:D:Djoking:D:D

• Advertisement

Legally we are allowed to demand a specimen of your breath into the alcolyser, name, address, driving licence and insurance only at a checkpoint. However we can ask any questions we want to but you don't have to answer if you don't want. HOwever the questions you are asked are designed to gauge a person to see if their is anything suspicious such as "Where are you going to?" If they say home and are driving the wrong way then there is something else going on. TBH 99 out of a 100 there is nothing suspicious about people I stop and anyway answers they give me are usually forgotten by the time they have their car in second gear as they are driving away.

When a person gives me some attitude I pay closer attention to them and their vehicle such as person and vehicle checks. Sometimes it yields results, sometimes not. I feel that if a person has nothing to hide then they have nothing to fear.

In your case with the guard being so ignorant to you, there is no satisfactory explanation for his attitude. I hope he got what he deserved because it is members like him that undo a lot of good work the majority of guards do to gain public confidence.

Advertisement