Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

USA car prices!

Options
  • 25-03-2008 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Just back from the States where my sister in law just purchased a very pleasant 08 Ford Escape (think bigger than Freelander), 2.3 liter auto with plenty of toys for the equivalent of €11,500!!!!

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/escape/?v=html

New model Honda Accord can be yours for only a bit more, its unreal.....I'm thinking of emigrating...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Same price for a mustang, and €9,200 for a brand new focus :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭markymac

It's unreal isn't it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The put their taxes elsewhere, but you pay through the nose for everything else. Oh and those prices like all US prices will be PRE-TAX

I noticed a lot of car ads involved lease agreements....which makes it sound extremely cheap, but you have no car at the end of it *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

THAT'S BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE VRT.......

Haha, just stirring things up!:D

Cionád wrote: »
    Same price for a mustang, and €9,200 for a brand new focus :eek:

Dear God shield your eyes, SHIELD YOUR EYES:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

ninty9er wrote: »
    The put their taxes elsewhere, but you pay through the nose for everything else.

I noticed a lot of car ads involved lease agreements....which makes it sound extremely cheap, but you have no car at the end of it *shrug*

most of the lease agreements have a final payment that you can pay to own the car(balance of the cost of the car) or you can decide to walk away,and the lease agreements have all servicing oil changes etc. included.
    only downside is they give you a crappy milage allowance. 10k-12k a year.

Excludes taxes, license, title and available or regionally required equipment

That solves that mystery

SoBe wrote: »
    most of the lease agreements have a final payment that you can pay to own the car(balance of the cost of the car)

* Homer: "And that's it right?"
    * Salesman: "Yup, oh then after your final monthly payment there's the CBP, or Crippling Balloon Payment."
    * Homer: "Yeah, but that's not for a while, right?"
    * Salesman: "Right!"

* Homer: "And that's it right?"
    * Salesman: "Yup, oh then after your final monthly payment there's the CBP, or Crippling Balloon Payment."
    * Homer: "Yeah, but that's not for a while, right?"
    * Salesman: "Right!"

so say you lease a focus for 3 years at $169 pm of course your going to owe money at the end of it.you would be pretty stupid to think other wise.

taxes,licence and title dont cost that much.i think i paid about $280 taxes title and licence for the dodge dakota i bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Bmw 335i - 26,500 euro on the road with taxes included.

We're driving 25k of machine and 50k of tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

The put their taxes elsewhere, but you pay through the nose for everything else.

Definitely cant let this one pass...

Would you care to enlighten us as to where they "put their taxes elsewhere" and "pay through the nose for everything else"?

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Definitely cant let this one pass...

Would you care to enlighten us as to where they "put their taxes elsewhere" and "pay through the nose for everything else"?

I'm guessing he means stuff like Health Insurance.

Bang on!!

It costs more than a Mustang to insure a family of 4 for the year:eek::eek:

Yeah, he must mean health insurance. Because we dont pay through the nose for health insurance ... I mean its only €7350 pa (2 parents, 2 school going children from the VHI website accessed today) for VHI these days. And for that you get access to the first class, world beating Irish health service!!!

And our VAT is only 21% ... and our CGT rates, and our CAT rates ... all so so so low!!! And sure VRT is only about 30% or something. All a bargain!!!

Nope we definitely are not paying thro the nose ... and sure if we were would'nt it all be worth it for our school system alone (where we have the second largest class sizes in Europe.

Dont make me laugh.

/rant over .../

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Like keeping an old one in Ireland in a private nursing home for 10 weeks would buy you a brand new ford Focus in the States, (or a danm good second hand one in Ireland). Who said Health care is cheap in Ireland, its a rip off just like the states and getting worse!!.

I'll ask again ... Would you care to enlighten us as to where they "put their taxes elsewhere" and "pay through the nose for everything else"?

Please give examples if you can.

I suspect you wont be able to support your statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yeah, he must mean health insurance. Because we dont pay through the nose for health insurance ... I mean its only €7350 pa (2 parents, 2 school going children from the VHI website accessed today) for VHI these days. And for that you get access to the first class, world beating Irish health service!!!

The highest price I could find was €6,234.98 and that includes the Blackrock Clinic.

The American prices exclude sales tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sales tax in most states ranges between 2.5% and 9%....a far cry from VAT/VRT....Americans also pay less taxes on fuel.

I'll ask again ... Would you care to enlighten us as to where they "put their taxes elsewhere" and "pay through the nose for everything else"?

Please give examples if you can.

I suspect you wont be able to support your statement.

Let me see....it costs €1700 annually for me and my parents to have VHI cover, with which I procured a hospital bed just last week for an illness I'm still off sick with. That covers heart surgery and daycare procedures in the Blackrock Clinic, Beacon or Mater Private if God forbid any of us should ever require it

It cost my aunt and her husband $16,000 for health insurance last year for them and my cousins....that excludes GP, dental, respite. They paid an absolute fortune nearly $500,000 for a 2 bed house an in Boston's commuter belt....an hour's drive off peak.

There is at least 1 toll plaza on every main route into most major cities/airports.
    There is a "service charge" as well as a tip for most services. A college degree costs $180,000 before living expenses, for Ivy League Harvard Law reckons $65,000 should be enough to get you through the Academic Year. The US has accumulated $4,000,000,000,000 ($4 trillion) of public debt on the last 6 years, mainly fighting a war that the majority of its citizens don't want or want to pay for.

Sure they have low personal taxes, but when China calls in it's death duties let's see how long it lasts.

So I'll see your ludicrous VHI claim and raise you $4 trillion of debt that someone's gonna have to pay back in the not too distant future, a college degree at €180,000 to our €3600, non existent sick benefit to at least something here, 26 weeks paid maternity leave, a state that, despite what some people think, actually cares.

From the US Dept. of Social Security
    Maternity Benefits
    Although there is no general program of maternity benefits in the United States, millions of women are eligible for maternity benefits through health and insurance programs provided under voluntary plans or, in some cases, through legislative action. These benefits take the form of cash payments to meet part or all of the expense of obstetrical care; or they may provide medical and hospital services. For women workers they may also include maternity leave provisions and cash payments to compensate in part for loss of wages during disability.
    Federal legislation provides benefits for women railroad workers, women federal employees, women in military service, and wives of servicemen. Federal, State, and local laws provide assistance for women who are "medically needy." But the trend in the United Sautes is toward voluntary protection, and this is provided for under informal employer policies, through collective bargaining agreements, or through private subscription to commercial insurance plans.

Do you get where I'm going with this. We pay taxes, they're redistributed, they don't pay high taxes and if it all goes belly up in the morning they're F@&<ed.

Let me think again on the prices issue....ah yes....my memory card purcahse

me:cool $99 bit of a saving there
    shop assistant: that'll be $111.38
    me: but it says $99
    shop assistant: but you gotta take the tax.

You don't assume you're paying it, but you are. Trust me it's cheaper to live here!!

rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

a college degree at €180,000 to our €3600

Jaysus, for that money in Ireland you could get 7 degrees and probaby a masters or two, maybe a few PhDs on top of that if you do well :D

• Advertisement

You don't assume you're paying it, but you are. Trust me it's cheaper to live here!!

rant over

sorry but i have to disagree with you on the point that its cheaper to live in ireland than in the states.i have lived in ireland for 34 years and have paid through the ass for everything.cars,houses taxes etc.

im not wanting to turn this into a political debate cus thats going off thread.
    besides seeing your sig i already know you look through rose tinted glasses.

p.s. even if the memory card cost $111.38 bet it was still cheaper than you could buy it in ireland :D

SoBe wrote: »
    sorry but i have to disagree with you on the point that its cheaper to live in ireland than in the states.i have lived in ireland for 34 years and have paid through the ass for everything.cars,houses taxes etc.

im not wanting to turn this into a political debate cus thats going off thread.
    besides seeing your sig i already know you look through rose tinted glasses.

p.s. even if the memory card cost $111.38 bet it was still cheaper than you could buy it in ireland :D

not really

rose tinted was probably when I was buying it in that store in New York

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

:D:D
    Bang on!!

It costs more than a Mustang to insure a family of 4 for the year:eek::eek:

the only difference is that you get a REAL invoice with the car.!!:D:D
    im sure bertie knows all about tax..

let me say again, could u keep that FF stupid SIG out of a motors forum

good chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Let me see....it costs €1700 annually for me and my parents to have VHI cover, with which I procured a hospital bed just last week for an illness I'm still off sick with. That covers heart surgery and daycare procedures in the Blackrock Clinic, Beacon or Mater Private if God forbid any of us should ever require it

It cost my aunt and her husband $16,000 for health insurance last year for them and my cousins....that excludes GP, dental, respite. They paid an absolute fortune nearly $500,000 for a 2 bed house an in Boston's commuter belt....an hour's drive off peak.

There is at least 1 toll plaza on every main route into most major cities/airports.
    There is a "service charge" as well as a tip for most services. A college degree costs $180,000 before living expenses, for Ivy League Harvard Law reckons $65,000 should be enough to get you through the Academic Year. The US has accumulated $4,000,000,000,000 ($4 trillion) of public debt on the last 6 years, mainly fighting a war that the majority of its citizens don't want or want to pay for.

Sure they have low personal taxes, but when China calls in it's death duties let's see how long it lasts.

So I'll see your ludicrous VHI claim and raise you $4 trillion of debt that someone's gonna have to pay back in the not too distant future, a college degree at €180,000 to our €3600, non existent sick benefit to at least something here, 26 weeks paid maternity leave, a state that, despite what some people think, actually cares.

Do you get where I'm going with this. We pay taxes, they're redistributed, they don't pay high taxes and if it all goes belly up in the morning they're F@&<ed.

rant over

It's not often I'd agree with you when you veer off on one of your political tangents ninety9er but you're not far off the mark in this case. I have taken the VHI to the fricking cleaners over the past two years I regret to say and I have gotten top class care in an average hospital. My (and my family's) VHI is paid for by my American multinational employer because it is a nice, affordable, tax efficient perk that they could not offer their American employees.

On business in Texas a few years ago a colleague had an accident that required a few stitches. They wouldn't look at him until he could prove how he was going to pay. Then they stitched him for, iirc, $115 per stitch * 6. $690 for a smallish cut, not including what he saved by taking them out himself. They would seriously let you die in the waiting room if you hadn't the money.

Even our ****ty health service is better than that.

Now where did that motors forum go?

what_car wrote: »
    let me say again, could u keep that FF stupid SIG out of a motors forum

good chap.

I will when all political sigs are removed from the site....when it becomes registered in China....til then you'll juts have to get used to it or ignore it like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Back on topic, the price she paid was ALL IN. Not a lease deal, she owns the car for €11,500.

Back on topic, the price she paid was ALL IN. Not a lease deal, she owns the car for €11,500.

Not the base model so...that's about $23,000, which on exchange rates is €11,500, but is her salary doubled too??

Don't get me wrong it's still a whole lot cheaper, about the same as an Irish person paying €25,000 for the same car. The distributors don't even bring the Galaxy in here at that price pre-tax (let me do some maths and get back on that though)

Not the base model so...that's about $23,000, which on exchange rates is €11,500, but is her salary doubled too??

11,500 euro is circa 18,000 dollars on todays rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

rant over

Actually, you're not far off the mark there. People are all too quick to criticise Ireland. Now I complain frequently enough about it, but mainly cause I see a better way of doing things, not necessarily a cheaper way. But all that aside, it is fairly cheap to live here (apart from the last few silly property hikes). OK, so 6 years ago I think was the peak in where we were earning the money and the property was still somewhat affordable. Education and health, while not perfect, are cheap and effective here. We're better educated than the US by a long way, and for less money.
    The trick is to get qualified here, work for an American company with all the benefits, then get relocated with the same benefits over there and reap the rewards of cheap goods!!

• Advertisement

Biro wrote: »
    The trick is to get qualified here, work for an American company with all the benefits, then get relocated with the same benefits over there and reap the rewards of cheap goods!!

Or relocate to Canada and have little shopping trips to the states. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement