Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

USA car prices!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Cionád wrote: »
    11,500 euro is circa 18,000 dollars on todays rates.

Oops my bad had a £IR/$US conversation the other day and it was £1=$2. No wonder my Wedgewood shares are gone belly up:rolleyes::rolleyes:

anywho...the maths...Cheapest 1.8 Galaxy comes in around the wrong side of €25,000 inclusive of VAT, exclusive of VRT, delivery and related charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    I'll ask again ... Would you care to enlighten us as to where they "put their taxes elsewhere" and "pay through the nose for everything else"?

Please give examples if you can.

I suspect you wont be able to support your statement.
    ninty9er wrote: »
    Let me see....it costs €1700 annually for me and my parents to have VHI cover, with which I procured a hospital bed just last week for an illness I'm still off sick with. That covers heart surgery and daycare procedures in the Blackrock Clinic, Beacon or Mater Private if God forbid any of us should ever require it

It cost my aunt and her husband $16,000 for health insurance last year for them and my cousins....that excludes GP, dental, respite. They paid an absolute fortune nearly $500,000 for a 2 bed house an in Boston's commuter belt....an hour's drive off peak.

There is at least 1 toll plaza on every main route into most major cities/airports.
    There is a "service charge" as well as a tip for most services. A college degree costs $180,000 before living expenses, for Ivy League Harvard Law reckons $65,000 should be enough to get you through the Academic Year.

Let me think again on the prices issue....ah yes....my memory card purcahse

me:cool $99 bit of a saving there
    shop assistant: that'll be $111.38
    me: but it says $99
    shop assistant: but you gotta take the tax.

You don't assume you're paying it, but you are. Trust me it's cheaper to live here!!

OK ... your initial statement was that they "put their taxes elsewhere" and "pay through the nose for everything else"?

When asked to support this statement the best you can come up with is 2 examples;
    1. health insurance is more expensive in the US (they have the best hospitals in the world, whereas we have a 3rd world healthcare system).
    2. education is more expensive in the US (they have the best Universities in the world, whereas we have teachers on the verge of strike action because of broken FF promises and a chronic lack of funding).

Is that the best you can do?

Hardly makes the case that people in the US "pay through the nose for everything else".

Do you reasise how foolish you are making yourself look?

Now, again I ask you to support your totally stupid claim that they "put their taxes elsewhere" and "pay through the nose for everything else"?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ninty9er, stop turning threads into political ones. This is the motors forum in case you forgot. You will not get another warning.

Back on topic everyone...

Let me think again on the prices issue....ah yes....my memory card purcahse

me:cool $99 bit of a saving there
    shop assistant: that'll be $111.38
    me: but it says $99
    shop assistant: but you gotta take the tax.

Have you heard of VAT? It's currently 21% here in Ireland.

So to use your example ... if you were to buy the memory card here and it cost €99 ... the VAT would be 21% and thus approx €21 ... and the total cost of the memory card would be €120 as compared to the US cost in your example of 111.38.

Great way to support your argument ... by giving an example which totally contradicts your argument :rolleyes:

unkel wrote: »
    ninty9er, stop turning threads into political ones. This is the motors forum in case you forgot. You will not get another warning.

Back on topic everyone...

This guy has a history of doing this.

Could we get political sigs like his (which contain inaccuracies btw) banned from motors please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

+1

OK ... your initial statement was that they "put their taxes elsewhere" and "pay through the nose for everything else"?

When asked to support this statement the best you can come up with is 2 examples;
    1. health insurance is more expensive in the US (they have the best hospitals in the world, whereas we have a 3rd world healthcare system).
    2. education is more expensive in the US (they have the best Universities in the world, whereas we have teachers on the verge of strike action because of broken FF promises and a chronic lack of funding).

Is that the best you can do?

Hardly makes the case that people in the US "pay through the nose for everything else".

Do you reasise how foolish you are making yourself look?

Now, again I ask you to support your totally stupid claim that they "put their taxes elsewhere" and "pay through the nose for everything else"?

And I'll refer your best educated comment to George W. Bush and your best healthcare comment to the comment made by milltown about people being left to die at a hospital admissions desk until they can prove they can pay.

You can have all the best of this that and the other, but if you can't access it it's no good.

If you honestly believe that our education system is falling apart, why is there more demand for 95% of all graduate degrees than supply stemming from this country.

Ireland currently has a shortage of about 20,000....yes 20,000 accountants. If you don't believe me I can pm you the email addredd of my Accounting lecturer who has a Phd in such matters.

Lack of IT graduates is forcing companies who WANT to locate here to look elsewhere.

Big money doesn't buy a good education, just look at any grind school in the country or "rugby college" in Dublin and you'll see that.

Maybe pay through the nose was excessive, but they pay the human cost of living in a country that really doesn not give a rats ass of you live or die. There are also state property taxes (varying within not to mind among states)

And in looking at this I realised that a couple earning €50k between them pay only 4% income tax in Ireland after credits are applied:eek::eek:

99er has a history of this kind of sh1te. How long more should he be tolerated here?

From the motors charter "Back up your statements - if you make a bold statement then please provide some kind of evidence to back up what you are saying." He clearly cant do this and has been unable to back up statements many times in the past.

Again I ask could we get blatant political sigs of all types banned from motors please? From the motors charter "No advertising". I consider 99er's sig to be advertising.

Looks to me like 99er constantly drags threads off topic with his political ramblings, and has also broken the charter at least twice.

cut was writing when warnings posted

I will stop being political when other people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

+2

I got banned before for having a picture and text! oh the shame, :o

• Advertisement

And I'll refer your best educated comment to George W. Bush and your best healthcare comment to the comment made by milltown about people being left to die at a hospital admissions desk until they can prove they can pay.

You can have all the best of this that and the other, but if you can't access it it's no good.

If you honestly believe that our education system is falling apart, why is there more demand for 95% of all graduate degrees than supply stemming from this country.

Ireland currently has a shortage of about 20,000....yes 20,000 accountants. If you don't believe me I can pm you the email addredd of my Accounting lecturer who has a Phd in such matters.

Lack of IT graduates is forcing companies who WANT to locate here to look elsewhere.

Big money doesn't buy a good education, just look at any grind school in the country or "rugby college" in Dublin and you'll see that.

Maybe pay through the nose was excessive, but they pay the human cost of living in a country that really doesn not give a rats ass of you live or die. There are also state property taxes (varying within not to mind among states)

And in looking at this I realised that a couple earning €50k between them pay only 4% income tax in Ireland after credits are applied:eek::eek:

I have reported this post because you are constantly dragging motors threads off topic with your political biases and lies.

Not to mention ignoring the direct warning of a motors mod above.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I bought myself a 2006 Honda Civic(1.9L 5 speed auto) with 15k miles on it for $13k in Dec 2007. I paid 5% sales tax and a registration fee of about $400. The registration fee is paid every year but also decreases as the car ages.

I bought a well equiped 2006 Mazda 6 Hatchback, 2L 5 Speed auto and a sports trim, electric everything, sunroof, bose sound with multi-cd, the works. It had 6k on the clock and I bought it Dec 2006. It was $19k, 5% tax and also around $400 registration.

I have found used cars, maybe a year or two old to be very well priced. I was shocked last year when I saw crappy Chrysler mini vans for sale in Ireland for E40k plus.

I have reported this post because you are constantly dragging motors threads off topic with your political biases and lies.

Not to mention ignoring the direct warning of a motors mod above.

I have reported you for accusations of lying where no incontravertable proof exists. The post was also edited when I saw the warning.

Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

in fairness - this thread was going to go political from the very start. You can't have a comparison of goods prices between coutries without getting into tax rates, which is going to get into tax distributioin.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I will stop being political when other people do.

You started it (not the first time) and you were warned. Now you are banned. Thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement