Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jump start

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Might I direct everyones attention to the forum announcements?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=470 <--there, for lazy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Grimes wrote: »
    I love how non drivers get uppity in these car related threads. End of story AA will jump your car while the college will not. They should have a jump pack and provide this service as there as so many car parks ( I got a jump off the car park attendants in St.Stephens Green because being a car park, they have jumper packs), its why I assumed UCD services drove around in big jeeps .... the backs of those very expensive 75k landrovers must be empty so......

Dictionary definition of 'uppity' is 'arrogantly presumptuous'... so are you not being uppity by presuming that these are non-drivers posting? :)

If you want to see why the college doesn't jump cars, buy a booster box, jump a few for people and see how long you can last before you get sued... The engine management system in a modern car is the most likely thing to get knackered by inept jump starting and the repair bill can run to the thousands of euro.

Anyway, the service UCD really needs is this guy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/3112670.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

haha

Im seriously resisting the urge not to photoshop Librocop's head there.

RE jumping: I wouldnt expect services to do it, it was just a thought, I have an account with the AA which is reliable and quick so Im happy enough to wait around for an hour smoking while waiting for the AA. In fairness ISS did agree not to clamp my car when the battery died in a loading bay behind the library . So fair dues to em' because I know Dublin Co.Council clampers (whoever they use) refused to leave my car alone when it broke down in a pay and display on Parnell St a few years ago. So I had to tie the arrival of the tow truck with the arrival of the clamp removers.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I can see alright why services might have a rule lurking around somewhere that they don't jumpstart cars. However I'd say they're more likely to open their bonnet for you if you have the leads and appear to know the right procedure.

And the point about 24V jeeps is very important: you will cause serious damage if you attempt to put the full 24V onto a 12V car and will destroy quite a few components in both vehicles and possibly cause an explosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

Breezer wrote: »
    Out of interest, do you drive a car?

yes i drive, yes i get the car serviced when it is supposed to be serviced and yes i am in the aa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Pedantic I know, but the clamping is done by NCPS, not ISS... judging by the clamping van at least anyway. I thought ISS did the cleaning around campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

ISS provide cleaners and security staff to ucd.

Advertisement