Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating the L.C.?(Calling every1 who has done so!)

Options
  • 25-03-2008 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I want to Hear how people got on with repeating. Is it terrible? All your friends move on to college, and your left to repeat 6th year?

Where did you repeat? Laurence's, Institute, the same school..etc??

The fact that there are different plays, novels..etc is it easy/hard??

Will it really bring you down and make you depressed?

So anyone who has repeated/ in the middle of doing so, could you please express your experience on how it went/is going for you?

Comments

Your friends (and you) will be 'moving on' whether you like it or not - you won't all be going to the same college, if everyone does go to college.

Why are you asking now? Getting the usual pre-Leaving Cert jitters? If you don't get the points there are often ways around to get into your course, but if not it is only one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Myth wrote: »
    Getting the usual pre-Leaving Cert jitters? one year.

yes:confused:

but You see, a few of my mates are college lads, and their always going out during the week (even though they're not in the same collge) having a ball.

If i repeat I only go out once on the weekends while they are freeeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭legoman

I repeated my leaving cert and it is one of the best decisions I have made. I increased my points by approximately 120 points. Well worth it and i still hang out with most of the friends i had in school.

L

yeh sounds good legoman,

But I feel if i have to repeat, I may aswell Go for something higher
    the fact that Maths, french..etc is all the same thing coming up leading to easier, better results cuz you know most of the topics already.?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Theres 9 weeks left! Get yo study on and you want have to repeat :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Dont know if this is off topic ... but I failed maths when I did the LC. Is it possible to repeat one subject as a mature student? If so would anybody be able to point me in the right direction. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

GBX wrote: »
    Dont know if this is off topic ... but I failed maths when I did the LC. Is it possible to repeat one subject as a mature student? If so would anybody be able to point me in the right direction. :)

yes it is, you can find the information on the State Exams Commission website here

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ex&sc=ef

You must register before Feb 1st on the year you are sitting the exam. So too late for this year but you could do it next year.

It'll depend on yourself how you want to go about studying it... by yourself, grinds, some adult eduction centres offer evening courses in Leaving Cert Maths etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Cheers RT ... Ill have a look into it. Thanks :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I have got to say that this year has been the QUICKEST and most ENJOYABLE year I have had in school...there are only five of us repeating and they are girls I never really bothered with but honestly, I never knew how much 3 of us had in common. One girl is SO different to me but we get on brilliantly! It makes it so much easier to work and have the fun the same time. There are times when I'm in class and I remember what happened last year when we were doing that part of the course and you do kind of feel lonely but hey, you'll go to college and you'll feel lonely at times too. It's part and parcel of life.

Judging by my mock results, I am doing better than I did at June last year and it has given me a sense of pride and achievement to work off to get my course. Repeating is one of the best things you can do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

mars bar wrote: »
    Repeating is one of the best things you can do...

Not for everyone in fairness.
    I feckin hated the LC with a passion, to the point where I would have automatically went with a PLC course or get a job afterwards. Life goes on regardless...

• Advertisement

Thanks Mars bar( never thought i would actually type those words together, thanking a mars bar lol anyways).

I Like the way you have such a high spirit on the whole situation, I agree with Naikon, I DETEST The leaving too!!

But I know it HAS to be done if you want to go anywhere in this country and want to earn a decent salary...etc.

:rolleyes:

l...there are only five of us repeating and they are girls I never really bothered with but honestly,

Eh 5 ofyous repeating, Alone in 1 school by the sounds of it???

EXPAND... lol??

Lol...no I went back to my old school. 5 of us went there and 2 went to Yeats. We just go to classes with this years L.C's. It's a bit of a disadvantage with English when they are revising and it's all new to us but you get by.

I know ye are thinking that ye would never go back again, I thought the same thing. The reason I am repeating is because last year I couldn't wait to get out and let it go to my head. I got impatient and didn't get what I wanted. You get what you deserve sometimes. One of the girls repeating is in her 7th year now. She did Tran Year, got half way through last year, HATED it with a passion and went off travelling for a few months. She came back this year all rejuvinated(sp?) and is getting on grand. Seriously, it's not as bad as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

To put this into perspective mine was the only school that offered repeats for about 3 or 4 schools. Only about 15% of the people repeating were from my school.

It kinda sucks in the begining knowing that, but you have to realise thats pretty much college. You might go into college and see a pinch of your old class group, but generally you are going to mostly be meeting new people.

In retrospect I've moved from Ennis to Carlow - so now I don't know anybody I used to. I think it would have been a bigger shock if I hadn't gone through 6th year.

As for new curriculum like pooets and texts its a bit of a kick in the pants but by 6th year youre in a much better frame of mind to study it. Imagine by learning the same text that you will always have this niggling feeling in the back of your head like you already know it all. Learning something new gives you a real chance to understand what it means to read through a text and learn how to comprehend it.

In hindsight I don't regret it at all.

But don't make that your excuse to quit trying to pass 5th year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Im in 5th yr now but am only 15 and have this feeling that im goin to have to repeat my LC. I just dont think i want to have to head out on my own a week after i turn 17. Like i'll have to commute to college for at least my first year, prob wont be aloud out as im only 17. I dunno......

But i feel bad having thoughts of repeating while only in fifth year

Wow dats young!!

Your best of repeating 5th year, I know a guy who did it. Pretty sensible if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

repeated my leaving cert and like a previous poster said one of best decision i made, Came up by over 100 points the second time round and got the course i wanted, Am a teacher myself now and would definitely recommend it to someone who really wanted to get the points for a particular course, however would also say not to put all your eggs in one basket as if you didnt get your 1st choice the second time it could be very hard to take

Thanks for your point garth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

johnk123 wrote: »
    Im in 5th yr now but am only 15 and have this feeling that im goin to have to repeat my LC. I just dont think i want to have to head out on my own a week after i turn 17. Like i'll have to commute to college for at least my first year, prob wont be aloud out as im only 17. I dunno......

But i feel bad having thoughts of repeating while only in fifth year

Should have done TY!

Like repeating, TY isn't everybody's thing. Imagine 3 years to learn the L.C course rather than two(the way it should be like!), possibly more productive than TY. But it depends on the person also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

TY sucked for me! Sixth year sucked even more. Anybody else repeating the leaving in their own time? Did it last year and went up by 65 points. Okay not as impressive as some people here but I was happy with it :D

Hoping to go up by another 65 at the very least this year. It gets depressing when you go in for the third round but no orals this year whoop :)

To the OP, don't think about repeating now, you'll automatically bring your points down by doing that. Good luck with the remainder of the year :)

Hoping to go up by another 65 at the very least this year. It gets depressing when you go in for the third round but no orals this year whoop :)

How come you don't have to do orals?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ino112

My parents gave out to me for even suggestioning repeating XD! They say what chance have you of doing well, if you already assume you're going to do bad?

My advice is to give this year the best shot you can, so you'll have no regrets. You never know, you could be suprised what you're capable of?

How come you don't have to do orals?

Once you pass Irish the first time you don't have to do it again and I've dropped French this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,535 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ah yes thank god for that, I got my D3 and didnt have to do it ever again :D

but then I took business up and got just as bad a mark in that. ****ing hate business :mad: its a load of fluff and bull****.

Once you pass Irish the first time you don't have to do it again and I've dropped French this year :D

Is that because of the course you are going into?
    'Cause I'd drop the oral this very moment if that was the case for repeats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

TY sucked for me! Sixth year sucked even more. Anybody else repeating the leaving in their own time? Did it last year and went up by 65 points. Okay not as impressive as some people here but I was happy with it :D
    So you've repeated 6th year twice, and this year will be the third time you do the leaving? I've never heard that before! You must be aiming for very high points.

Overheal wrote: »
    Ah yes thank god for that, I got my D3 and didnt have to do it ever again :D

but then I took business up and got just as bad a mark in that. ****ing hate business :mad: its a load of fluff and bull****.

I did the same thing, thought (think) the same thing and got the same mark. I'm doing it again cos I don't have much choice :(

I thought you could drop Irish regardless of what college you're going to, unless there's a specific course requirement? You should check that out mars bar, you could cut out a lot of unnecessary work ;)

I didn't repeat sixth year. I worked and studied in the evenings after dropping out of Trinity. Apparently it was pretty common for people applying for medicine in the nineties to repeat three times.

I thought you could drop Irish regardless of what college you're going to, unless there's a specific course requirement? You should check that out mars bar, you could cut out a lot of unnecessary work ;)

Oh well I dropped Maths so my 6 subjects are English,Irish,French,Accounting,History and Biology. I thought you were doing Irish, just not doing the Oral.

• Advertisement
Advertisement