Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you own a café / restaurant? Free WIFI please!

• 25-03-2008 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

To all of the boardees who own restaurants and cafés.

I want to check my email on my laptop or ipod when I'm spending my money in your restaurant / café... and I promise to tell anyone who will listen how spectacular your place is if you can:

A) Give me the free wifi while I have a coffee, and quite possibly, a toasted sandwich!
    B) Have friendly staff and
    C) A comfortable spot to enjoy A and B.

I'm just back from a wander in Eastern Europe for a few days and loved the whole idea of the free wifi in loads of cafes. There was so many people checking mail or the internet on laptops and having lunch / coffee.

For €30 a month, it might just attract customers!

That is all :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

sure if its only 30 a month you might invest in it yourself:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

sure if its only 30 a month you might invest in it yourself:p

Hmm..

You miss my point. I have broadband at home.

Its nice to be able to take my laptop.. away from home.. and into a cafe to relax and check email etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Trotter wrote: »
    Hmm..

You miss my point. I have broadband at home.

Its nice to be able to take my laptop.. away from home.. and into a cafe to relax and check email etc.

Agreed. If I had a cafe, I would...

We need more cafes in general in Waterford.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

waterford is piss poor when it comes to cafes when compared to kilkenny, all these cafes should get themselfs fon access points imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

kylemore has wifi..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement

dazftw wrote: »
    kylemore has wifi..

Ah yeah but.. The Kylemore is the opposite of what I'm after. Its impossible to relax in there. I'm not a fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

That ****ing quick reply button which is actually a thanks button !!! Arrrrrghhhhh.

But yeah, Kylemore = Free Wifi ? Didn't know that, Quizno's up there is seriously mint food :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

masons, revolution and elec ave have wi fi on their machines - think its free - just ask for a card!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

masons, revolution and elec ave have wi fi on their machines - think its free - just ask for a card!

We have that machine in Muldoons as well, but no point asking for a card. none of us can figure out how the wifi works on it and we don't have any cards. Maybe they do in Masons but either way those machines are for taking your money so I doubt it's free. That said some lucky bastard won a grand in Muldoons last week. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭henboy9

Trotter wrote: »
    To all of the boardees who own restaurants and cafés.

I want to check my email on my laptop or ipod when I'm spending my money in your restaurant / café... and I promise to tell anyone who will listen how spectacular your place is if you can:

A) Give me the free wifi while I have a coffee, and quite possibly, a toasted sandwich!
    B) Have friendly staff and
    C) A comfortable spot to enjoy A and B.

I'm just back from a wander in Eastern Europe for a few days and loved the whole idea of the free wifi in loads of cafes. There was so many people checking mail or the internet on laptops and having lunch / coffee.

For €30 a month, it might just attract customers!

That is all :D
    I agree totally - THERE is a lack of cafe's and places where you can go. IT'S only when you get out of this city -country,that you realise how way behind we are.TO be honest i think this city needs a whole restructure, just to get back on topic -you might get the comfortable spot, but friendly service --not many places in this city cater for the customer

HATE to say that because i come from a generation of shop keeper's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

Adyx wrote: »
    We have that machine in Muldoons as well, but no point asking for a card. none of us can figure out how the wifi works on it and we don't have any cards. Maybe they do in Masons but either way those machines are for taking your money so I doubt it's free. That said some lucky bastard won a grand in Muldoons last week. :mad:

i asked for a card in Revolution and was no problem - cheers

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think the Machine is in The Dome Bar in the WIT also..

Revolution, The Kylemore, The Dome, Masons, Electric Avenue...

None of those are my idea of a place to sit down with and relax though. Maybe I'm gone conservative and cranky and need my peace too much lol :rolleyes::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

An idea maybe would be to get together and send letters to various cafes around the City outlining the benefits of WiFi to the customers and to the business itself. Call it the Boards.ie WiFi for Waterford Initiative or something :)

I don't think many cafes would have a problem with the idea, but I think a potential stumbling block is that many owners wouldn't have a slightest idea how to set up WiFi and most established IT consultants in the City would charge a premium for such a service.

Perhaps Alpha IT could offer to setup the network at a relatively small cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

i asked for a card in Revolution and was no problem - cheers

Was it free? I don't know about Masons but we didn't get any cards or anything. There isn't too much demand for wifi in Muldoons though. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

It's places like Summatra, Lucia, Lattetude, etc. that you'd want wifi in. You could add Geoffs and the Gingerman to that as cafe bars during the day. RIP Haricots.

Waterford could support twice the number of cafes. It's a pity the businessmen of the town only think booze.

Waterford used to be reasonable for cafes about 10 years ago. You had Luna, Global Village, Haricots, Sizzlers and one or two more. Luna and Global village stayed open very late. Sizzlers was 24hr? That is where Waterford has gone backwards -- no late opening cafes!

You have far more places to eat now, but they don't stay open late and they are closer to restaurants than cafes.

All it would take would be a few strategic fires set in Waterford city and there'd be nothing worth going to, cafe or pub, except whatever is in nightclub corner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Geoffs have wifi also, rock stars only though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭eldeabroad

I am a café-bar owner, not in Waterford, not even in Ireland, but relevant all the same... My broadband connection comes with a wi-fi box thing, and I could leave it open for my customers to use, but I dont. I have my reasons: The people who live in the building above me could connect and have free internets - that I am paying for. The customer who stays all day with one coffee using my internets leaves me little money in my till.

I have a friend who works in IT who may be able to design a simple program, or maybe I can download one - that changes every hour the password and resets the connection to avoid freeloaders.

Those are my reasons to not allow my wi-fi be used, and possible solution...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Dan39

Kylemore use Bitbuzz WiFi and make a fuss if you are using a device other than a laptop. In my experience I was using a PSP, also they turned off the wireless router when they saw that another person using a laptop was finished, completely disregarding me.

Also at McDonalds on John Roberts Square, the person (Irish) serving at the till when I asked for a free half hour access card (advertised) did not even know that WiFi was available in the restaurant.

On the other hand the Tower Hotel have free (unlimited time) WiFi available in the foyer, the bar staff even allowed me to sit in the foyer so that I could use it.

Finally, although the offer ends in a couple of Days (31st March), since January Eircom broadband customers have been given free WiFi access within 100m of a compatible phonebox, like on the Quay in Waterford icon14.gif

Advertisement