Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloudy Fish Tank

Options
  • 25-03-2008 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have recently got a 90 litre fish tank as a present. I have set it up with all the usual stuff, fillter pump, heater etc.

Before I put it together i cleaned everthing thorougly and added normal tap water. For a about a week the water was crystal clear but then started to get cloudy. So I empited everyhting out and cleaned everything again.But the sameresult happened.

What is causing the problem? The tank does from time to time come in contact with direct sunlight. Would this be the reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

the stuff you need is Accu-clear, it taks 2 drops per gallon(i think) says on the label. Clears cloudy water fast is what it says on the bottle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Keeks wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have recently got a 90 litre fish tank as a present. I have set it up with all the usual stuff, fillter pump, heater etc.

Before I put it together i cleaned everthing thorougly and added normal tap water. For a about a week the water was crystal clear but then started to get cloudy. So I empited everyhting out and cleaned everything again.But the sameresult happened.

What is causing the problem? The tank does from time to time come in contact with direct sunlight. Would this be the reason?
    get your water tested (tap water)I had the same problem as the nitrate and amonia was too high.Get it tested at your local pet shop and they will tell the water content.I dont use tap water as there is chemicals (to my shock) in it,i use rain water filtered outside water butt attached to the drain pipe.My water has been clear every time.I use Interpet solutions as well.
    http://www.interpet.co.uk/aquatic.htm
    always keep
    Liqusil General Tonic
    Anti White Spot
    Anti Fungus & Finrot
    The best stuff for clearer water is
    Easy Life
    http://www.easylife.nl/english/index.html.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Hi Keeks,
    You mention that your tank gets some direct sun light from time to time. How long are your lights on in the tank. If you don't have any plants in the tank, you could try a total blackout for a few days.
    You don't need to change the water for now if you don't have any fish in it. The water needs maturing and the beneficial bacteria need to colonise your filter. Just make sure you feed the tank a little everyday with a bit of fish food which will create ammonia. The beneficial bacterial will transform the ammonia in nitrites and then into nitrates. The normal reading once the tank is 'cycled' should show no ammonia/nitrite and some nitrates. This process could take between 2 to 6 weeks.
    I hope this helps.

ValerieR
    www.irishfishkeepers.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

You could get some RO(reverse osmosis) water. Depends on the type of tank - cold water, warm, saltwater? Live rock is used in saltwater(marine) as a filtration device, plants can be good at this too. Aquatic village in Brittas is a good spot, there's a few places in Dun Laoighaire too that should be able to help. Lots of good info on the net too.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Whoooaaa there with the Reverse Osmosis water, meds etc etc......

Your tank has what is commonly known among aquarists as "new tank syndrome".

You need to learn how to "cycle" the tank properly. Your tank has not been given a chance to develop the beneficial needed in the filter to break down waste. The lack of this bacteria is leading to high Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrites.

Completely emptying the tank is probably the worst thing you could have done.

How long did you have the filter running before you added your first fish?Did you dechlorinate the tap water before adding it to the tank?
    How many fish are in it and what types?
    When you completely emptied the tank, how did you clean it and did you clean the filter?
    Have you got a test kit for your water?

You should get onto www.irishfishkeepers.com or www.irishfishforum.com where myself and countless others will be happy to guide you through what you need to know when setting up a new tank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭derek27

Do you keep your tank covered properly? Do you have a cat that you allow into the house? If the answer to the first question is 'no' and the answer to the second one is 'yes', then, however improbable it might sound, your cat is p!ssing into the tank. It's been the cause of your problem in at least 3 ocaisions that I know of.

derek27 wrote: »
    Do you keep your tank covered properly? Do you have a cat that you allow into the house? If the answer to the first question is 'no' and the answer to the second one is 'yes', then, however improbable it might sound, your cat is p!ssing into the tank. It's been the cause of your problem in at least 3 ocaisions that I know of.
    meow!
    sea0308l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Haggis1973

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    Whoooaaa there with the Reverse Osmosis water, meds etc etc......

Your tank has what is commonly known among aquarists as "new tank syndrome".

You need to learn how to "cycle" the tank properly. Your tank has not been given a chance to develop the beneficial needed in the filter to break down waste. The lack of this bacteria is leading to high Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrites.

Completely emptying the tank is probably the worst thing you could have done.

How long did you have the filter running before you added your first fish?Did you dechlorinate the tap water before adding it to the tank?
    How many fish are in it and what types?
    When you completely emptied the tank, how did you clean it and did you clean the filter?
    Have you got a test kit for your water?

You should get onto www.irishfishkeepers.com or www.irishfishforum.com where myself and countless others will be happy to guide you through what you need to know when setting up a new tank.

My first post but thought i'd just say that this advice is excellent and 100% correct. It's the natural cycle of the tank and will eventually settle down. Just don't put too many fish in to start with and visit the above websites and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Thanks for the help guys.

But still having no luck. The water in the tank is actually turning green now. No fish in the tank. HAve been using tap water. Would I be better changing my water source?

Thanks for the help guys.

But still having no luck. The water in the tank is actually turning green now. No fish in the tank. HAve been using tap water. Would I be better changing my water source?

i know ye have a 90 litre tank so water change is 23 litres is sufficent everyweek.are ye using a filter by the way?and what fish are you planning getting?Tropical you need heater,cold fish none.Threr is a solution you put in for tap water called fresh start by interpet.
    the green is algae as your tank is in the sunlight which mean move it away from the sunlight.
    Heres a link for starters
    http://www.petalia.com.au/templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?Story_No=2022#ct-3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The tank does from time to time come in contact with direct sunlight. Would this be the reason?

In short- its definitely a contributing factor.
    I'd suggest getting a small amount of "Cycle"- its a beneficial microbiological supplement which helps with aging the new aquarium by establishing colonies of organisms which you would normally have in a habitat.
    A few strands of Elodea or other acquatic plants can help with oxygenating the water and remove some substrate from the water (Lidl have aquarium plants on special offer this week).

If you suspect that you may have a nitrite/ammonia problem- instead of using chemicals to try to remedy the situation- a small amount of activated carbon can be a much more natural and more effective manner of sorting the problem. I'd not recommend adding chemicals to the water unless absolutely necessary.

Advertisement