Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Izevbekhai - Should She Be Deported?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

djpbarry wrote: »
    I live in a 2-bed flat. I don't own a car. I was "born and bred" in Dublin.

Carry on.

And it honestly doesnt bother you that there are people living here less then 2 years and live in a better and bigger house and drive a nice car,and probably work alot less then you,honestly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Presumes they all fly in. Also you seem to forget the potential for well organised persecution on the part of the PRC towards family and friends at home.

As far as I understand it, the court in this specific instance states that there is a risk of FGM, but that this can be countered within Nigeria. Therefore its a difference of opinion on how to prevent it, rather than the story being untrue.

So if a large number of Nigerians are claiming Asylum, it would be logical to assume that this prevents them from working.......

Racism may not be correct. We'd have to see how other "black" minorities fair. The level of hostility to specifically Nigerians is clearly evident, and in this thread too. Certainly when I've questioned the 'Free cars for immigrants' and similiar stories, it was usually Nigerians that were mentioned.

I've never heard any, tbh. Romanians (referring to supposed "gypsies") yes but not Poles. Which isn't to say it doesnt exist, but anecdotally, it seems fairly invisible by comparison to feelings against Nigerians.

Nominally. It greatly depends what part they're from, I've found. Its not a homogenous state.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

You don't think a middle-class professional in Nigeria would have more disposable income than an unemployed person in Ireland?
    You can repeat that nonsense all you want - it doesn't make it true.
    That comment was not directed at you.
    Link?
    Nope, sorry. Not working.
    Claiming rent allowance does not constitute “welfare abuse”.
    You don’t have a case. There are as many Brits claiming rent allowance as there are Nigerians, but nobody makes a fuss over the British claimants. But anyway, the fact that an individual is claiming rent allowance proves nothing.

• Advertisement

lego wrote: »
    It is impossible to travel directly from Nigeria to Ireland.
    It's also impossible to travel directly from Iran to Ireland. Or Somalia to Ireland. Or Iraq to Ireland. In fact, I reckon that just about every single refugee in this country passed through another country on their way to Ireland. Does it matter? Nope.
    Most failed asylum seekers in Ireland are not deported. Thousands of asylum seekers make applications every year and only about 140 people are deported every year. Where do they go?
    I don't know. Fiji?
    Quite a number are denied refugee status but given permission to remain anyway by the DOJ.
    Can we put a figure on "quite a number"?
    A Nigerian would need to be very wealthy relative to the average income in his/her country in order to have the necessary funds to travel to Ireland.
    I believe I have already made this point.
    Most of these scammers are greedy upper middle class Nigerians who have alot already but still want more.
    Evidence?

I'm interested to know how an "upper middle-class Nigerian" can earn more by "scamming" in Ireland than they can in Nigeria, relative to the cost of living?

Irlbo wrote: »
    And it honestly doesnt bother you that there are people living here less then 2 years and live in a better and bigger house and drive a nice car,and probably work alot less then you,honestly?
    Is that a serious question? Honestly? You're asking me if I'm bothered that some people earn more money than I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lego

djpbarry wrote: »
    It's also impossible to travel directly from Iran to Ireland. Or Somalia to Ireland. Or Iraq to Ireland. In fact, I reckon that just about every single refugee in this country passed through another country on their way to Ireland. Does it matter? Nope.

Can we put a figure on "quite a number"?

You've really hit the nail on the head here. And it does matter, and you know it.

Pretty much all who are not deported are given leave to remain on other grounds, they don't just vanish into thin air (The current fake marriage to EU national scam is becoming a favourite).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Can you imagine the public outcry if that were to happen?
    And it does matter, and you know it.
    Why does it matter? Ireland is obliged to take in a certain number of refugees every year no matter where they're from.

Ireland is actually failing on its international obligations towards refugees as we do not have a formal system of complementary protection.
    Pretty much all who are not deported are given leave to remain on other grounds, they don't just vanish into thin air (The current fake marriage to EU national scam is becoming a favourite).
    Proof or unfounded idea that fits into your world view?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

taconnol wrote:
    Ireland is obliged to take in a certain number of refugees every year no matter where they're from.

Are you sure? Do you have a source for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

O'Morris wrote: »
    Are you sure? Do you have a source for that?
    It's probably programme refugees that the poster is referring to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

It's probably programme refugees that the poster is referring to.

That's the one. It's like the 0.7% of GDP that the UN asks economically developed countries like Ireland to give towards the Millennium Goals. As a wealthy country, we are expected to do our part-it isn't a one way street.

It would also be worth reminding ourselves that historically Europeans have played a huge role, and still do, in creating the Africa that exists today: encouraging internal tribal divisions, drawing lines in maps, extracting natural resources, slavery. These things still happen today, just not as overtly. Obviously, Ireland itself was another victim of colonialism but other former colonies don't have the good fortune to be part of an organisation like the EU that pumped silly amounts of money their way.

I am in no way placing the blame for certain conflicts only at Europe's door but we would be naive to think we play no role, even simply as consumers of resources that are fought over in civil wars (eg oil in Sudan).

You're still ignoring the possibility of other factors affecting Nigerians that would not affect Poles, such as the ban on Asylum seekers working, the fact that they're non-EU nationals, possible prejudice against their race, and prejudice against their nationality.

See above.

You keep on with this "trumped up" business, in a thread where no one has proved this womans claims are "trumped up". In fact the court accepts her claim, but rejects the idea its grounds for asylum.

Unless you can prove categorically that the majority have had their stories discredited, as oppossed to having been rejected, wouldn't it be better to give the rest the benefit of the doubt?

Logically, why would a family claiming asylum head to an impoverished country if they could avoid doing so?

So now you're dragging in stories about some openly fradulent Romanians to a thread about a Nigerian woman whose story hasn't been disputed......Great stuff.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

This is the UK Home Office position regarding FGM

3.10.7 Conclusion. Whilst protection and/or assistance is available from governmental and nongovernmental sources, this is limited. Those who are unable or, owing to fear, unwilling to avail themselves of the protection of the authorities, can safely relocate to another part of Nigeria where the family members who are pressurising them to undergo FGM would be
    unlikely to be able to trace them. Women in that situation would if they choose to do so, also be able to seek assistance from women’s NGOs in the new location. The grant of asylum or Humanitarian Protection is unlikely therefore to be appropriate and such claimsshould be certified as clearly unfounded

In addition her case has yet to be deemed admissable in the European Court of Human Rights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marcus647

ARTICLE 3 ECHR

Judgments
    Alleged risk of being subjected to female genital mutilation in case of extradition to Nigeria,

(Collins and Akaziebie v. Sweden)

EXPULSION
    Alleged risk of being subjected to female genital mutilation in case of extradition to Nigeria: inadmissible.

COLLINS and AKAZIEBIE - Sweden (No 23944/05)
    Decision 8.3.2007 [Section III]

The applicants are Nigerian nationals. In 2002, the first applicant entered Sweden and applied for asylum or a residence
    permit. She alleged that according to Nigerian tradition, women were forced to undergo female genital mutilation (“FGM”) when they gave birth. As she was pregnant, she was afraid of this inhuman practice. Neither her parents nor her husband, who had supported her, could prevent this since it was such a deep-rooted tradition. She claimed that if she had travelled to another part of Nigeria to give birth to her child, she and her child would have been killed in a religious ceremony. Having decided to flee the country, she paid a smuggler, who took her to Sweden. Some months later, she gave birth to her daughter, the second applicant. The Migration Board rejected the applications for asylum, refugee status or a residence permit, stating, inter alia, that FGM was prohibited by law in Nigeria and that this prohibition was observed in at least six Nigerian states. Thus, if the applicants returned to one of those states it would be unlikely that they would be forced to undergo FGM. The applicants appealed unsuccessfully, maintaining that the practice of FGM persisted despite the law against it and had never been prosecuted or punished.

Inadmissible: It was not in dispute that subjecting a woman to female genital mutilation amounted to ill-treatment contrary
    to Article 3. Nor was it in dispute that women in Nigeria had traditionally been subjected to FGM and to some extent still
    were. However, several states in Nigeria had prohibited FGM by law, including the state where the applicants came from.
    Although there was as yet no federal law against the practice of FGM, the federal government publicly opposed FGM and
    campaigns had been conducted at state and community level through the Ministry of Health and NGOs and by media warnings
    against the practice. Although there were indications that the FGM rate was higher in the south, including the applicants’
    home state, according to the official sources, the FGM rate for the whole country in 2005 amounted to approximately 19%,
    a figure that had declined steadily in the past 15 years. Furthermore, while pregnant, the first applicant had not chosen
    to go to another state within Nigeria or to a neighbouring country, in which she could still have received help and support
    from her own family. Instead she had managed to obtain the necessary practical and financial means to travel to Sweden,
    having thus shown a considerable amount of strength and independence. Viewed in this light, it was difficult to see why she
    could not protect her daughter from being subjected to FGM, if not in her home state, then at least in one of the other
    states in Nigeria where FGM was prohibited by law and/or less widespread. The fact that the applicants’ circumstances in
    Nigeria would be less favourable than in Sweden could not be regarded as decisive from the point of view of Article 3.
    Moreover, the first applicant had failed to reply to the Court’s specific request to substantiate some of her allegations
    and to provide a satisfactory explanation for the discrepancies in her submissions. In sum, the applicants had failed to
    substantiate that they would face a real and concrete risk of being subjected to female genital mutilation upon returning
    to Nigeria: manifestly ill-founded

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Immigration officials do not believe that Pamela Izevbekhai was in fact smuggled to Ireland, but instead suspect that she travelled to Britain on a holiday visa before coming to Dublin to claim political asylum.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article5213909.ece

I'm saying that looking before one leaps is a sensible precaution to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lego

Immigration officials do not believe that Pamela Izevbekhai was in fact smuggled to Ireland, but instead suspect that she travelled to Britain on a holiday visa before coming to Dublin to claim political asylum.
    snubbleste wrote: »

She obviously lied, she never went near the netherlands. She had a visa to travel to the UK. Then, like the majority of illegal immigrants to the Republic, she got a taxi from Belfast to Dublin. (The GNIB occasionally check buses and trains, hence the taxi.)

I'd imagine they are.

O.....

Sorry....

tHERE EXPLOITIN HOUR SYSTIM!!!! SEND THEM BAK!!!! Y can't I HAV A FREE KAR?

Is that better?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 KingSitric

I have to agree with the majority of sentimnt here that she should be returned HOME to HER OWN country. If she is allowed to stay it will set a dangerous precedent.
    Nigeria is touting itself as a leader in modern Africa. With the knowledge and insight she has gained here, into Ireland and Europe she could do a lot of good back in HER OWN country. She could join one of the NGO's over there, maybe an Irish one and campaign for change.
    We need to take the lead here in Ireland to turn the mirror around, and focus it on Nigeria. This is where the problem stems.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement